JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
behaviour.
Are you British or did you just cut and paste from someone who is British? Here in America we spell it behavior.

Which kind of gets to my point. Everyone is simply taking the same "analysis" from other sites. How do we know if any of that analysis is factual or based on actual data? Has Ford released any statements on oil dilution? Have any of the people bloviating on the Internet backed up their views with actual data?
Sponsored

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Are you British or did you just cut and paste from someone who is British? Here in America we spell it behavior.

Which kind of gets to my point. Everyone is simply taking the same "analysis" from other sites. How do we know if any of that analysis is factual or based on actual data? Has Ford released any statements on oil dilution? Have any of the people bloviating on the Internet backed up their views with actual data?
So you’ve proven you’re just a troll…

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
In my case this is how I broke my truck in. Bought new June 4. Drove it gently but not overly so, for the first 1000 miles. I kept rpms lower than 4k and tried to keep it from lugging but it's hard to do that with 10 speeds unless u use sport mode. I rarely used sport mode during the first 1000 miles. I tried to change up the rpms but I did take a 200 mile trip the weekend after I bought it which entailed mostly higher but different speeds. 60/70/45. Even on the stretches that went miles and miles say in the 70 zone, I'd run it 65 for a bit then 70. Then 55. Then 60. Etc etc. I changed oil to synthetic at 1500 miles and went with a mobile 1 filter. I can't recall where the oil was in stick before this change. I checked it. But it was always below top dot and above bottom dot so I figured fine. I can't recall if it was in hash mark or past tho. After I changed it I'd check it after my 400 mile every other weekend trips and nothing seemed off. It only seemed off when I started reading more about this issue and noticed that the level had creeped past the top dot by a hair. At that point I decided to change the oil and after the change it sat right at the high mark in hash zone with 6 quarts added. Once it cooled over night, it sat a hair lower in hash zone. Since then I have only driven 20 miles but noticed the oil level rose a hair but it's still in the hash zone. I drive this truck on occasional 8 mile trips around town then every other weekend I do the 400 mile plus trips which includes alot of sport mode in mountains. I would think those trips would vaporize the fuel in the oil but maybe not. Or maybe my last change ie the first change I didn't drain as much out and it read to the top dot. I don't know. I drained it till it stopped. Same place I did this oil change and sane orientation to the concrete pad. Level. I even checked the jug I had left over. I bought two 5 quart Jugs for first change and I had 4 left over in one which I just used along with 2 out of the new jug I bought which means 6 quarts for both changes. Perhaps the mobile 1 filter has less capacity than the fl900s that I just used? They look about the same. Or perhaps about 1/2 quart of gas found its way into my oil. If that's the case then that's like 10% oil or so. How much in quarts is between the top hash and the top dot? I will check the oil again this weekend and report back.
Seems like you’re over-thinking this too much, and mixing too many factors together (ie. how much the filter holds). From everything you indicated all is fine.

If there’s no smoke coming out, and nothing on the driveway, you’re good.

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
no, i'm Canadian. thanks for the spelling bee tho.
no cut and paste from me. that's 100% my brain thinking. I was actually looking to you to offer some data since you seem to think my opinion is worthless. With 33 years of mechanic skills behind my back, i think i'm entitled to my opinion on what may or may not be related to fuel dilution and how it may or may not affect our oil and engines. I've been wrong before, and gladly concede when I am.
Glad to see you didnt step up and offer much for the discussion, it lets me know youre a waste of my time.
Okay, I was wrong in my assumption.

I don't claim to know the answer. I am not a mechanic. Thank you for sharing your knowledge based on actual experience.

My issue is not with you, but with Ford. Maybe Ford has addressed this issue, but I am not aware of it.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Any fuel getting into the oil is not ideal.
Then buy a Tesla...

If it's powered by an internal combustion engine it will have some degree of fuel in the oil. There is no way to prevent it. Just buy the correct oil for the engine, change it regularly and don't worry about it.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
two things....first, you don't speak for the forum, so this "we" stuff is pretty off base. Be a man, and step up and say its solely you. surely you can stand alone and make your claims.
second, you're determination of a fanboy is based off your self aware love of Toyota I am sure. For the record, I am not a fanboy.

you haven't added one fact to the discussion to argue any of my comments, you just simply don't agree with them, and that's fine. I can agree to disagree, but you have to add some sort of substance to your comments if you want me to show you an ounce of respect. Otherwise, I'll poke the bear.

So lets discuss "driving style" as a reason for fuel in oil comment. Lets see if you have even a minor ability to make a discussion, or just revert back to a troll. I'll gladly be educated if you have something to teach.

What causes fuel to get into oil?
clearly is needs a path to get into the crankcase.
Since it comes from injectors on this engine, the path will be in the cylinder. not much to argue there.
is this problem because of leaky injectors? sure. the fuel would leak into the cylinder and simply follow gravity down around the piston and rings and end up mixing with the oil
I am sure some of the cases people have had are exactly this scenario. but not all.

but lets look at other ways fuel will get past the rings.
major engine wear, but this is happening right from new, so nix that idea.
Break-in? perhaps, but with the manufacturing tolerances, that's been minimized over the years. they don't even tell you there is a break in period anymore. there is the likelihood that some fuel sticks to the cylinder walls and ends up past the rings before they seat fully. but this is likely very small amounts. Those that see their fuel in oil problem diminish over time are likely recipients of this "break in" period.

What about the driving? the turbo has a great effect on cylinder pressures. our driving style has a great effect on the turbo's behaviour.
Drive like a granny and you aren't putting much boost into the cylinder.
drive like an 18yr old late for prom night and youre jacking up that pressure significantly. higher and longer. with all the fuel being dumped into the cylinder on the compression stroke. with all that pressure from the boost and no where to go, it's finding a path past the rings and into the crank case. do this often, and you're going to have a bigger fuel in oil problem than gramma ever would.

Blackstone lists <2% of fuel is normal. we all have it. the Pinto had it. The Focus had it. Chevy, Dodge and Ferrari likely have fuel in oil as well.
most of us wont ever see a problem from it. we are changing oil before it becomes an issue.
So if you can intelligently argue that simplistic scenario, please do. otherwise, your comment from your first reply to me is a wash.
Makes sense. I haven’t had any fuel in oil issues in a year & half. Just did a trip to Alberta from Vancouver pulling a horse and lots of climbing through the mountains. Checked the oil and there was a slight odour of fuel. Lots of pressure from the turbo.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I am smelling fuel in the oil, never have in any other of my many vehicles. So I have a Blackstone extractor and mail in kit, but will wait until I hit 1000 miles to send it in. Oil level was at the top hole so I removed a pint to bring it back down to the top hash mark line, and will check weekly for awhile. Not to worried and will wait for the oil sample report before shouting 'Fire'.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Just an update. Drove it 500 miles since my oil change. Mostly over the recent holiday weekend. Alot of highway and alot of hilly driving. Checked the level in garage about 30 minutes after shutting it off. It's now half way between the top of hash and the top dot. Remember, after I changed it, it was below the top hash after 15 minutes. I will check in morning after it sits all night to see where it is. I have an appt Wednesday for the vibe and the thunk at stops. I will bring this up just so it's on the record. Got 25.8mpg over 160 miles on way back. All highway and all atspeed limits from 55-65.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Just an update. Drove it 500 miles since my oil change. Mostly over the recent holiday weekend. Alot of highway and alot of hilly driving. Checked the level in garage about 30 minutes after shutting it off. It's now half way between the top of hash and the top dot. Remember, after I changed it, it was below the top hash after 15 minutes. I will check in morning after it sits all night to see where it is. I have an appt Wednesday for the vibe and the thunk at stops. I will bring this up just so it's on the record. Got 25.8mpg over 160 miles on way back. All highway and all atspeed limits from 55-65.
Fyi, I used math not the onboard for my mpgs. 168 miles using 6.5 gallons.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
20210907_095230.jpg

this is after 586 miles on oil. in the right light you can see that it now is about the same distance above the top of hash as it was below the top of the has 586 miles ago. Checked at the same time in morning, same garage and same orientation- pulled in versus backed in.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
put a match to it yet?

i think you're over worrying this at the moment.
maybe go at least a 1000 miles between checks.
give your brain a rest.
Then why does it keep on rising? Here is a picture from this afternoon after driving it and letting it sit 15.

20210907_184805.jpg

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Then why does it keep on rising? Here is a picture from this afternoon after driving it and letting it sit 15.

20210907_184805.jpg
Its now halfway between high hash and the top dot. When I changed it last week it was under the high part of the hash.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
you could have a fuel/oil problem
you could be having issues getting a proper reading
you could be seeing atmospheric and temperature variances.
you could have OCD

bottom line, get your oil tested if you're overly concerned or let it go longer and don't nitpick the little changes. its like the wives who weight themselves after every meal, it just doesn't help.

you just changed your oil, your good for 10000. checking it after every trip is just going to drive you nuts.
give it a good chunk of miles over a vast amount of different driving scenarios. i'd say another 500 minimum, preferably a 1000. you're under warranty, go the full 10000 and be brave. if the engine grenades itself, you'll get another.
I hear you but in the back of my mind is ford telling me its overfilled and not honoring warranty. With that said, it's not overfill now though its getting there, and I have an app tomorrow and will bring this up so its on record. Its creating up on its own.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Its now halfway between high hash and the top dot. When I changed it last week it was under the high part of the hash.
you are literally going to drive your self insane over this!!
Sponsored