Rising oil level

HoosierRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4
First post here, I know there are a million oil dilution threads on here. Not wanting to beat a dead horse. But I’ve been to the dealer twice now about my rising oil level. Dealer changed oil in truck approximately 100 miles ago and I brought it in again because the level was now above the max fill line. Dealer recognized the problem and explained they would contact Ford and try and figure out what’s goin on. My truck has 11,000 miles on it. I’m curious if anyone with a similar problem has been offered any kind of complimentary extended warranty from ford. I’m worried about the long term damage that’s already been caused by this problem with the extra thin oil, Assuming ford and the dealer find a fix.
Sponsored

Hoosier Daddy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Good luck with your dealer helping you. After numerous Blackstone Lab reports shown to them my dealer said the issue was due to short trips (which may be true) and was of no help whatsoever. I purchased an extended Ford Protect Warranty on my own. Ford Corporate has not acknowledged that there even is an issue so your dealer my actually have good intentions but will get nowhere with Ford.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Good luck with your dealer helping you. After numerous Blackstone Lab reports shown to them my dealer said the issue was due to short trips (which may be true) and was of no help whatsoever. I purchased an extended Ford Protect Warranty on my own. Ford Corporate has not acknowledged that there even is an issue so your dealer my actually have good intentions but will get nowhere with Ford.

It's honestly a combination between short trips and the extra oil cooler. I theorized that the short trips with the extra cooling capacity on the ranger don't allow the fuel to reach evap temperature and be expelled by the PCV system (back into the intake).

It seems to be logical since nearly everyone in the other thread who had the problem said they didn't drive far, and those who didn't have the problem (like me) were heavy drivers.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
So far, 1500km, short trips & oil is not going up.

Dochatley

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
When I had my oil changed the first time at around 9300 miles the level was up to the twist in the stick. Now after about 1000 miles it is up again. I drive 30 miles each way to work, interstate 28 of those 30 miles, at 70-75 mph. When I mentioned it to the dealer at the first oil change they said I’d need to schedule another appointment and leave it for 3-4 days till they could look at it. This is one of those issues they can’t explain and hope it will just fade away.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
1500km is not enough to really notice the rise. But if you also drive a little "rough" it will counteract the fuel dilution.
I think I have a little experience with this issue, as the dealer has changed my oil 6 times in the last 10,000 miles and that includes almost 5,000 miles on this last change. My next appointment is on the 16th, where they will send out another sample for testing. Of the 3 samples that Ford has had tested (dealer took and sent samples out), all were 12% or higher fuel dilution. In my case, the oil would rise significantly in the first 500 miles and actually quite quickly to about 3/8in above the max fill level. It would then rise more slowly into and above the twist. My guess is that it has something to do with the shape of the engine cavity? It has seemed to settle in just above the twist as that is where it has been the last 3000 miles.

In my case, it is definitely not short trips. I also do not baby it, I am not spinning the tires between every stop, but I definitely drive like I am in a hurry. I typically set the cruise at 75+mph for my 25 mile one way commute to work. I have disabled auto start stop since the truck was new (night lite in 12V receptacle). I am now averaging between 16.5 & 18.1 mpg, with 18.1 being my best tank since September. Before then, over 12,000 miles and one winter, I never had a tank average below 19.4. Here is what I have tried, in between oil changes, and none have made a difference in how the oil rises. These were all tried separately and and as diligently as I could between oil changes. Note, I was getting oil changes within every 1,000 miles for a stretch there.

* Sport mode all the time
* Limiting the transmission to 9th gear
* Manually shifting to stay out of boost as much as possible (boost gauge thru Torque app)

For those that don't know the history of my truck, the dealer has changed the HPFP and all 4 injectors twice, as well as all of the high pressure fuel lines. I am curious what they will do during the next appointment on the 16th.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
When I had my oil changed the first time at around 9300 miles the level was up to the twist in the stick. Now after about 1000 miles it is up again. I drive 30 miles each way to work, interstate 28 of those 30 miles, at 70-75 mph. When I mentioned it to the dealer at the first oil change they said I’d need to schedule another appointment and leave it for 3-4 days till they could look at it. This is one of those issues they can’t explain and hope it will just fade away.
Your situation sounds very similar to mine, longish commute, mostly highway. My problem did not start until ~10,000 miles on the truck. In fact my oil level never rose, not at all, during the first 10,000 miles. I did do my first oil change much earlier than you, at 4,000 miles, when I changed to Mobil 1 full synthetic.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
First post here, I know there are a million oil dilution threads on here. Not wanting to beat a dead horse. But I’ve been to the dealer twice now about my rising oil level. Dealer changed oil in truck approximately 100 miles ago and I brought it in again because the level was now above the max fill line. Dealer recognized the problem and explained they would contact Ford and try and figure out what’s goin on. My truck has 11,000 miles on it. I’m curious if anyone with a similar problem has been offered any kind of complimentary extended warranty from ford. I’m worried about the long term damage that’s already been caused by this problem with the extra thin oil, Assuming ford and the dealer find a fix.
Not beating a dead horse, as there has not been a definitive cause identified yet. Some may have a little fuel dilution, 1-4%, and that may or may not be from short trips, but oil levels into the twist are not from short trips. Something is wrong.

Open a ticket with Ford Customer Care and document everything, every visit to the dealer and even every thing the dealer tells you, but won't write on the service ticket. If you continue to have issues, voice your concerns with your Ford Customer Rep, they can get your warranty extended.

OP
OP

HoosierRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4
Not beating a dead horse, as there has not been a definitive cause identified yet. Some may have a little fuel dilution, 1-4%, and that may or may not be from short trips, but oil levels into the twist are not from short trips. Something is wrong.

Open a ticket with Ford Customer Care and document everything, every visit to the dealer and even every thing the dealer tells you, but won't write on the service ticket. If you continue to have issues, voice your concerns with your Ford Customer Rep, they can get your warranty extended.

Thanks I really appreciate your input! I’m hoping something get worked out soon. I really don’t want to have to sell my truck before the warranty is up

Reactions: Doc

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure why you’re limiting your boost so much, the factory tune is embarrassingly rich before the boost comes on in order to not go way lean when the boost hits. It will be something like 9-11:1 until the boost levels off and then you will start to see 13-14:1. Use torque to measure afr and injector duty cycle and see if it’s mad rich.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I just had mine changed last week for 2nd oil change total. I have 11k miles, mentioned that I smelled gas when I checked it once recently, they said all seemed normal this time.but will monitor it along with me (I will mark the dipstick in the morning) and wait and see. They told me this motor (exoboost) in general has a gas smell in the oil but I had my f150 for 6 years and never smelled it. They offered to send a sample to the lab on the next change or service whichever comes 1st. I had them install the new drain valve which they did but made a note saying FoMoCo doesn't recommend valves etc. I didn't buy the fomoto one I bought the Valvomax.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not sure why you’re limiting your boost so much, the factory tune is embarrassingly rich before the boost comes on in order to not go way lean when the boost hits. It will be something like 9-11:1 until the boost levels off and then you will start to see 13-14:1. Use torque to measure afr and injector duty cycle and see if it’s mad rich.
I think you misunderstood, those were things I tried as more of an investigation into if it affected my oil rise issue. Turbo spools more when engine is under load. In 10th on the highway with the cruise set at 75, with any wind at all, boost can be, say 2-6psi and I can shift down to ninth and bring that down towards 0. I have been driving for the last 12,000 miles with very bad fuel dilution, so I thought I would see if varying driving habits had any affect.
Likewise, I also tried running in sport mode with a heavier foot than normal, and that made no difference either. I monitor AFR and long term fuel trims, fuel trims are 6-7 light pedal and above pretty consistently. Fuel pressure is usually upwards of 3500psi with any pedal at all. At least that is the value fed to the Torque app thru the OBD port.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand now. What is the "normal" low boost (2-6PSI) AFR? It should be 13 ish under consistent pedal.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious which dealer you are working with? Mine is Skillman. Also did they mark the dipstick and us so how? A scratch?
Sponsored