First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Well the Ranger just delivered a low blow. Discovered an oil leak while doing an oil filter change in preparation for a 15 hour drive for our holiday trip we have been planning for 6 months. Im having trouble finding the source of the leak. From what I can tell it definitely drivers side, rear to mid way back on the block, and coming from mid height. Hard to pinpoint as the air flow from driving has been dispersing the drops all over and I can only see far up in there. Thought maybe I would get lucky and that it was a small drip from the oil filter as it almost seems to be originating in that area, but after cleaning everything up and carefully torquing on the new filter there are new drips already in less than 200 miles since the oil change. Dealer is week and weeks out and essentially of no help. Does anyone know if there is a suspect gasket or seal I can check? Feeling totally defeated on getting this resolved in time for our trip and don't think I can ever forgive this truck if it ruins our getaway.
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
fORdEGON

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
On further inspection there is oil everywhere, starting to come down both sides of the bell housing, on top of the transmission, blown to the back of the transmission pan. Serious leak and serious problem. Nothing like buying a new vehicle to avoid brake downs just to have your most important trips ruined. I officially now HATE this truck

OP
OP
fORdEGON

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Well I pressure washed and degreased everything to see if I can better pinpoint the source. Its been wet down here with a lot of rain so the road spray mixing with the oil makes it difficult to even see where it starts. I haven't seen a drop in the oil level yet but my truck has always been an "oil maker" so I suppose the rising oil and leak could cancel out. Honestly the fluid is so dirty and watered down I cant for sure rule out transmission fluid.

Also checked tranny fluid. I cycled through the gears and pulled the dip stick before the exhaust was too hot. Im only reading fluid at the diamond symbol below the the #5 circle. So its low checking it cold but if the fluid will expand when warm than I believe it should put me in spec between 4-5. Getting that dip stick out hot seems epic asking for a burn !

OP
OP
fORdEGON

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Well I had to go for the warm tranny fluid check. After running all the gears and getting it as warm as i could I was able to get a reading with only minor burns. Fluid is right at 6. I checked multiple times to make sure the dip stick was seated all the way. So it appears my fluid level is low. I have no way to know if it shipped low and has been this way for the last 12k miles or if its related to the oil leak i am chasing. Either way its very disappointing. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Do you change your own oil? My guess is spilled oil when filling or lose oil filter? If not just send it. You got a warranty sometimes things happen every one made ca t be perfect.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well the Ranger just delivered a low blow. Discovered an oil leak while doing an oil filter change in preparation for a 15 hour drive for our holiday trip we have been planning for 6 months. Im having trouble finding the source of the leak. From what I can tell it definitely drivers side, rear to mid way back on the block, and coming from mid height. Hard to pinpoint as the air flow from driving has been dispersing the drops all over and I can only see far up in there. Thought maybe I would get lucky and that it was a small drip from the oil filter as it almost seems to be originating in that area, but after cleaning everything up and carefully torquing on the new filter there are new drips already in less than 200 miles since the oil change. Dealer is week and weeks out and essentially of no help. Does anyone know if there is a suspect gasket or seal I can check? Feeling totally defeated on getting this resolved in time for our trip and don't think I can ever forgive this truck if it ruins our getaway.
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
Not sure but it is likely you did not realize that there is a catch trough around the oil filter to capture the oil from the old filter removal and it is diverted to a spout back behind the motor.

JMO

Phil

OP
OP
fORdEGON

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
I was able to get a few new drips already on the bottom of the bell housing just from a short drive last night after I degreased and cleaned everything. With the fresh drips I can tell its engine oil and not tranny fluid.

This is the second oil change I have done. The trough for draining the filer is a great feature i made sure to scope that out before doing the first oil change, no spillage. I have cleaned out both the spout under the filter and the full length of the trough they are squeaky clean. Filter is properly torqued to specification @ 71 lb.in plus 180° , sealing surface on block cleaned, new gasket lubed etc. I would just drive it and keep an eye on the oil level but this is a signifiant enough of a leak it makes me nervous. In just the short amount of tine since I did the recent oil change and discovered the leak it has already dripped all over again.

It looks like the PCV valve is located just above and slightly forward of the filter. Im going to keep a close eye on that area and the two hoses/connection to the PCV valve as that seems to be ground zero.

Last edited:

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
I was able to get a few new drips already on the bottom of the bell housing just from a short drive last night after I degreased and cleaned everything. With the fresh drips I can tell its engine oil and not tranny fluid.

This is the second oil change I have done. The trough for draining the filer is a great feature i made sure to scope that out before doing the first oil change, no spillage. I have cleaned out both the spout under the filter and the full length of the trough they are squeaky clean. Filter is properly torqued to specification @ 71 lb.in plus 180° , sealing surface on block cleaned, new gasket lubed etc. I would just drive it and keep an eye on the oil level but this is a signifiant enough of a leak it makes me nervous. In just the short amount of tine since I did the recent oil change and discovered the leak it has already dripped all over again.

It looks like the PCV valve is located just above and slightly forward of the filter. Im going to keep a close eye on that area and the two hoses/connection to the PCV valve as that seems to be ground zero.
Never in my life have I thought a oil filter had a torque spec.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a tough break Ryan - it’s a long drive for you to get to another Ford dealer. @RANGER PRIDE has a good point - except drop it off at a dealer if the oil level or pressure drops - I wouldn’t wait for an explosion. Although, it would make for a very interesting thread. Good luck. ?

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Leaks are no fun. I think the most common-sense solution would be to top the oil off and check it each tank of fuel.

If it isn't actively dripping then you won't lose enough to matter in the 350 mi between tanks of gas. Or just take your other car?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
OP- are you modified/tuned in any way?

I have the same leak. It is oil, not tranny, leaks as you described. I was horrified the first time I saw it, cleaned it up. Seems to leak more after towing/elevation (boost). Mine is modified. I solved/minimized the problem by venting the crankcase to the atmosphere. Used the baffled vent from CFM for the 2.0 Ecoboost and a wrist sweat band

Didn't want to take to the dealer and may not be the best advice, but at least I think we share the same problem. Take your trip

OP
OP
fORdEGON

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
OP- are you modified/tuned in any way?

I have the same leak. It is oil, not tranny, leaks as you described. I was horrified the first time I saw it, cleaned it up. Seems to leak more after towing/elevation (boost). Mine is modified. I solved/minimized the problem by venting the crankcase to the atmosphere. Used the baffled vent from CFM for the 2.0 Ecoboost and a wrist sweat band

Didn't want to take to the dealer and may not be the best advice, but at least I think we share the same problem. Take your trip
Bone stock as far as the engine goes. I do tow a two place aluminum snowmobile trailer in the winter its maybe 5k fully loaded with sleds and gear. But I haven't been towing recently when the leak developed.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
On further inspection there is oil everywhere, starting to come down both sides of the bell housing, on top of the transmission, blown to the back of the transmission pan. Serious leak and serious problem. Nothing like buying a new vehicle to avoid brake downs just to have your most important trips ruined. I officially now HATE this truck
This is a shittu situation for sure.

But why let it ruin your trip?

Worst case scenario rent a car and call it a day.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I'm with docarter, just carry an extra bottle of oil and check it often.

A little bit of warm oil can make a large mess. If you can't see it dripping you are not likely losing enough to matter. Checking and topping off once a day should be plenty often enough.

You will have a truck with a messy undercarriage but it won't ruin your trip, and you won't have to worry about rust. This is why you never see a rusty Harley...
Sponsored