Oil leak

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
It's finally happened, I saw a couple days ago that there were some drops of oil under my truck and I crawled up and it looked exactly like the other guys who had bad oil filters or had their drip pan not cleaned after a change aka robot version of the shining. I took it in and they agreed that yes it is a bad filter but upon replacing it and doing another change there is apparently a leak which is now waiting with service to be diagnosed from what they showed me it is coming from the front near where all the belts and pulleys are. I will keep everyone posted, I am hoping they are just seeing residue from the bad filter since I doubt very much that they went through and cleaned it but time will tell. Phil if you have any insights or guesses that would be appreciated, I am trying to attach the photos they sent but it is not working for some reason if I figure it out I'll add them as well

Edit for simplicity as stated elsewhere it is a common ranger issue and they are fixing it under warranty the service advisor is a buddy of mine and he told me that I should take it easy off road as well, but that aint gonna happen lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Looks like a timing cover leak. The drivers side of my cover is dark where a little oil has seeped out but not enough to drip yet. I'm at 16K so far. I wonder if this is a common issue?

OP
OP
Squatchranger

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
First impression is the front main seal is shot. Easy enough fix but a PITA all the same.
Yeah I got the extended coverage since I knew I would be driving her pretty hard so I am under warranty but I foresee an issue with getting parts. I am just glad I caught it and brought it in before I started cooking engine components

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Looks like a timing cover leak. The drivers side of my cover is dark where a little oil has seeped out but not enough to drip yet. I'm at 16K so far. I wonder if this is a common issue?

Mine is also at 16K has the same small seepage. Must be a minor issue.

This will be fun later.. ?

OP
OP
Squatchranger

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it was on my driver side as well I crawled under and from the side by the transmission behind the wheel well and forward was pretty much coated but that is mostly attributed to the filter, it definitely drips a bit even after the filter replacement but as I said I doubt they cleaned up under there and there was a lot sitting there, the shining thing wasn't an exaggeration lol

OP
OP
Squatchranger

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is also at 16K has the same small seepage. Must be a minor issue.

This will be fun later.. ?
I would advise taking it in now, it is a small but sick comfort that its not just me, I doubt I would have noticed or had an appreciable issue without the faulty filter

OP
OP
Squatchranger

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
belts are still dry.

just send it.
As tempting as that is I want to keep this thing for a long time and if I can get her checked out and fixed under warranty I definitely will. I spend a lot of time on the trails and in mud so I want this thing in tip top shape cause getting a tow through mud isn't gonna be easy.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
My timing cover has slowly gotten more seepage, but I am not alarmed yet, 33k

Underneath, I suspect the rear main seal is leaking, every few months when it is about to drip I wipe it. Long trips or towing makes it more, but slowed it with an oil cap breather, other threads on this

Its not enough for me to want to go through the hassle at the dealer. So far Blackstone reports are good

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squatchranger

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
My timing cover has slowly gotten more seepage, but I am not alarmed yet, 33k

Underneath, I suspect the rear main seal is leaking, every few months when it is about to drip I wipe it. Long trips or towing makes it more, but slowed it with an oil cap breather, other threads on this

Its not enough for me to want to go through the hassle at the dealer. So far Flackstone reports are good
Yeah I will definitely keep everyone up to date honestly getting it checked in with service was the idea of the guy who did the change I am under warranty so may as well
Sponsored