Oil filler cap

Dsc

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew; 2007 Sport Trac XLT; 1969 Mustang Grande; 2014 HD Sportster 1200T
Occupation
Retired
Anybody found a easy way to loosen up the oil filler cap? I have sanded the OD and even removed the o-ring to see if it would help but no real improvement. I use soft max Channelocks to release the cap but still need to rock the cap back and forth to get it to release. Going back in is worse, align the tabs but cap just is extremely hard to turn to get it to seat again. I don’t like forcing ABS plastic too much because it can crack. Is everyone having the same issue?
Sponsored

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Anybody found a easy way to loosen up the oil filler cap? I have sanded the OD and even removed the o-ring to see if it would help but no real improvement. I use soft max Channelocks to release the cap but still need to rock the cap back and forth to get it to release. Going back in is worse, align the tabs but cap just is extremely hard to turn to get it to seat again. I don’t like forcing ABS plastic too much because it can crack. Is everyone having the same issue?
Mine was snug, but I replaced it with one of the Boomba Racing oil caps (I really like machined aluminum).

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Channel locks are going to be your best frienf in this. Over the years of wrenching I have learned to use them as needed for various vehicles. Also you still want to keep the o-ring on there. Why you ask? Well if it isnt there it can(seen this in data log on another vehicle) cause a vacuum leak and make the truck run lean and that is not a good thing.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I just changed the oil on my truck today. The cap is snug but nothing I can't handle by hand with no tools.

Do you have a MotivX funnel or something similar that may have damaged the threads of the oil fill bung?

OP
OP

Dsc

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew; 2007 Sport Trac XLT; 1969 Mustang Grande; 2014 HD Sportster 1200T
Occupation
Retired
The o ring was reinstalled, since it binds before the o ring touches the filler neck. I have not inserted anything that would have damaged it. I just find it insanely snug. Might buy a replacement to see if it is the same.
Sponsored