Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
upload_2020-1-19_17-40-13.jpeg

2000 miles later, no muss, no fuss!

Regards
Doc
OK, I'll bite. What are we looking at here Doc, more details please.

If that's a filler tube breather, isn't it spewing oil vapors into the engine bay?
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
OK, I'll bite. What are we looking at here Doc, more details please.

If that's a filler tube breather, isn't it spewing oil vapors into the engine bay?
It’s a breather with a ball valve and spews nothing..except crankcase pressure..probably some un noticeable oil vapor too..it only opens during boost.
Regards

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
How about a link to the manufacturer?
CFM Performance billet valve cover/ oil filler breather. 2015/2019 mustang Ecoboost.
Regards

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Hi all, new member here. My first mod to my 2019 Lariat was a catch can after a lot of internal debate. At the time the only two made-for-the-Ranger cans were the JLT model (out of Chesapeake VA - my home state) and the one I went with from UPR Products here in my new adopted home in Florida. The JLT would have been fine, far easier to install since the existing hose from the PVC would snap into their line as opposed to the UPR model where you have to get up into that extremely small area where the valve stem exits the engine. The UPR requires completely removing the short U-shaped Ford EGR hose.

I went with the UPR in spite of it being 25% more expensive and a significant pain to install. Fortunately being a few miles from their HQ in Lake Worth I got assistance when I got frustrated.

The UPR is a larger volume can, and I upgraded the check valve (JLT doesn't use one). With the JLT you unscrew the container, UPR has a valve mounted for draining. They use some high end materials.

JLT had an attractive bracket for theirs, the UPR is a little more generic.

I didn't have the bandwidth to design my own even with some very high end catch can components out there with sight glasses and exotic filtration. Overkill.

For just under $200 I figured this was my target.

Maybe the truck will run smoother with less extra byproduct going in the intake. After about 2300 miles I checked drained the can, about an ounce plus a little more fusel-smelling dark thin liquid. I installed the can at around 500 miles and as of today have about 3500 on it.

If there is an initial benefit to mileage, I bet it's negligible - maybe emissions are cleaner (if that matters). I didn't do this expecting any boost to performance. I'm not sure idle or throttle response is significantly better. I keep my cars for about ten years on average, so this was for the long haul. If someone else winds up with this truck way off in the future, they'll need to be mindful of draining the catch can; the reason these things aren't included by Ford. Guess I need to come up with some type of signage for the engine bay.
Edit to add links: https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-3-0-oil-separator-2019-ford-ranger-2-3-ecoboost-driver-side/
http://www.uprproducts.com/ranger-billet-single-valve-catch-can-separator-ecoboost-19.html#1

Last edited:

tugger50

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT RANGER SUPERCREW, 2002 F-350 7.3 POWERSTROKE DIESEL
upload_2020-1-19_17-40-13.jpeg
2000 miles later, filter is still clean. no muss, no fuss!
Regards
Doc
I'm trying to understand this catch can stuff. It looks to me that the custom oil filler breather filter (CFM) would eliminate the need for the crank case catch can. Is that the idea? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm trying to understand this catch can stuff. It looks to me that the custom oil filler breather filter (CFM) would eliminate the need for the crank case catch can. Is that the idea? Thanks in advance.
Yes , this only opens during boost ( check valve and baffles not epa friendly) and vents to the atmosphere. The use of a catch can is subjective. With all this crap about gas entering the crankcase, it might be a good idea to have one.
So far, I have no gas smell in the crankcase and my plugs are clean.. Addendum , if the engine did not have a reasonable break in, that means occasionally bringing it to rpm, the rings may not properly seal causing blow by..
Regards

Last edited:

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Alright I ordered the Mishimoto setup to keep my valve clean but I also took a chance and ordered M-6766-A23S from Summit. This is the RH side that keeps the turbo happy and it's made by Ford. It's for the 2.3L Mustang so it may not fit the Ranger - we'll see.

Once everything arrives I'll see how it goes.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
Yes , this only opens during boost ( check valve and baffles not epa friendly) and vents to the atmosphere. The use of a catch can is subjective. With all this crap about gas entering the crankcase, it might be a good idea to have one.
So far, I have no gas smell in the crankcase and my plugs are clean.. Addendum , if the engine did not have a reasonable break in, that means occasionally bringing it to rpm, the rings may not properly seal causing blow by..
Regards
Doc I just recently got one of these valve cover breathers and installed it on a Saturday and drove with it until Monday evening. When the engine would warm up and let's say i would stop somewhere run in and come back out and start my truck I would have a noticeable fuel smell coming into the cabin via the a/c system. And then when I went to inspect it Monday evening I noticed it had been "misting" a fine oil/fuel mixture all over my engine bay that reeked of raw fuel. Pulling it off the valve cover you could smell fuel all over the breather and it was slick with a fuel/oil mixture. Yours is not doing this correct?

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Catch cans are not about excessive blowby. It's about stopping oil and junk from going back into the intake system. Running open breathers are a band aid for engines with bad rings.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Doc I just recently got one of these valve cover breathers and installed it on a Saturday and drove with it until Monday evening. When the engine would warm up and let's say i would stop somewhere run in and come back out and start my truck I would have a noticeable fuel smell coming into the cabin via the a/c system. And then when I went to inspect it Monday evening I noticed it had been "misting" a fine oil/fuel mixture all over my engine bay that reeked of raw fuel. Pulling it off the valve cover you could smell fuel all over the breather and it was slick with a fuel/oil mixture. Yours is not doing this correct?
Correct, you should not have a raw fuel smell coming from the crank case. I would have Blackstone test your oil..
Regards

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Correct, you should not have a raw fuel smell coming from the crank case. I would have Blackstone test your oil..
Regards

Edit: These filters need to be cleaned after every oil change

tugger50

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT RANGER SUPERCREW, 2002 F-350 7.3 POWERSTROKE DIESEL
I installed the valve cover breather and have not seen any misting or fuel smell.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
Regards
Just sent it off today! Im thinking I definitely have something going on for sure I will report back as soon as I get my report back. which should be possibly Friday/Saturday or Monday depending on Blackstone but I sent it priority mail 3 day.
Sponsored