Front Air Dam Removed

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
hate to revive a thread from the dead, but is the configuration up front the same on the 22s where i can remove the air dam?

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
hate to revive a thread from the dead, but is the configuration up front the same on the 22s where i can remove the air dam?
i believe they are the same!! ps its been 25k miles since i took mine off !Itossed the plastic park last years garage clean out.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
It should be, I would advise cutting and removing the outer sides and tucking the middle into the skid plate to eliminate the gap between the plate and bumper and somewhat smooth out the airflow beneath the truck

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
It should be, I would advise cutting and removing the outer sides and tucking the middle into the skid plate to eliminate the gap between the plate and bumper and somewhat smooth out the airflow beneath the truck
mine wont have a skid. still removable? will look like this 21
rang.jpg

Last edited:

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Idk if you can tuck it if you dont have a skid plate there but you can take it off
mine wont have a skid. still removable? will look like this 21
rang.jpg
you should be able to take it off regardless idk if you can tuck it if you dont have the skid plate down there is yours 4x4?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
You can remove it but modding it to close a gap? No. The gap exists because of the skid plate and the skid plate holds the modified dam in place, using the tow hook bolts to pinch it in place.

495524E4-CAEB-4311-80A2-FA2CA4A031B0.jpeg

Last edited:

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Did mine, looks way better and improves scrapping clearance for you offr roaders, only takes about 10 minutes with a small impact gun. If your truck is a daily driver for MPG i would leave it on.
I did a really rough trail this past weekend and never contacted the front airdam. The approach angle if you are being smart and using some off-center approaches is darn near 50-60*.

I don't think the airdam really impacts approach angle much, if all, since its closer to the wheels than the bumper.

Reactions: Doc

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
You can remove it but modding it to close a gap? No. The gap exists because of the skid plate and the skid plate holds the modified dam in place, using the tow hook bolts to pinch it in place.

495524E4-CAEB-4311-80A2-FA2CA4A031B0.jpeg
again, my truck wont have a skid, as the one pictured in my previous post

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
Idk if you can tuck it if you dont have a skid plate there but you can take it off

you should be able to take it off regardless idk if you can tuck it if you dont have the skid plate down there is yours 4x4?
it will be 4x4 but without a skid

Dairychuk

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger
I removed mine probably the 2nd week I had my truck (last july). I'm pretty sure it had a small effect on fuel mileage, but I doubt more than about 1mpg. I still saved mine and will probably look into reinstalling it for long highway trips.

Also one thing to note, you end up with a small gap between the bottom of the bumper and the front of the skid plate. I haven't fixed this yet, but I definitely see this as creating a small amount of turbulence over say, the FX4 where the skid plate comes all the way up to the front bumper. might be something to consider.
If I have a non fx4 ranger, am I able to install a fx4 skid plate and eliminate that gap? Do I need a different bumper?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
If I have a non fx4 ranger, am I able to install a fx4 skid plate and eliminate that gap? Do I need a different bumper?
Dylan, that depends on whether or not you have tow hooks. If you do, it’s easy enough. If you don’t it becomes complicated.

RangersLeadTheWay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
I have a 4x4 and replaced the skid plate with the FX4 one. It did not require a different bumper.