New rival incoming: 2024 Tacoma Hybrid and Turbo 4 Cylinder models (no more V6)

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
If it weren't for the head gasket going I'd still be driving my Taco.

The truck I had before the taco was 4 wheel drum soild axle, high tech for 71. Power everything.
All the power in your feet to stop, all the power in your arms to turn.
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
New rival option for Tacoma Frat Rat's incoming: 2024 Tacoma Hybrid and Turbo 4 Cylinder models (no more V6)
Fixed it for ya.
Not worried in the slightest.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
let's see a 5 link coil spring rear suspension vs a leaf spring, clearly one is both superior in almost all aspects and costs more. The Ranger rear suspension is about as basic as it gets and it's cheap, fitting for the Ranger being a "work truck" . Article on the Ford Raptor's rear suspension - which just happens to be a 5 link coil system and if anything improves off road capability. As expected any change from an existing setup causes speculation/angst that it's not as good as the old one, but wouldn't be surprised to see rear coil suspension used in other future model F-150s, Dodge Ram has won some buyers over with it's superior ride from use of coil springs. As far as wheel articulation - the increased travel of a multi link coil suspension improves that significantly , see article below:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35399668/ford-f-150-raptors-suspension-deep-dive/

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
sooo ive been on tw for years now and tbh it runs better then this forum to me personally... i like both forums but i do prefer tw for specific things over this one but thats also because ive been around for years.. the fanboys do get old trust me.... you know how many followers i lost when i got my civic si? all because i got a daily and it wasnt a toyota... then when i got the ranger i lost a lot as well not just on insta but also people who i thought were friends on facebook but were only around for my truck build i guess so i full on get the annoying fanboys tbh but this forum has it pretty bad also.... most of the time us with 2nd gens give people with a 3rd gen shit all the time so idk jokes or questions about the power train are pretty common threads but its normally not an issue unless its a new member that has done no research and has like two post theeeen they usually go a bit nuts lmao. tbh i never saw to much laughing at the ranger when it came out on my side of things besides it looking a little goofy which to some i can see why they dont like the body design which is fine i like it thou lol. the main thing toyota needs to do that ford has them beat on is the fact a locker can go on any damn trim model if you option it! like seriously why!!! ford does it and it lets people get a cheaper truck with what they want! they dont gotta get a offroad or a pro model to get a locker!!! so annoying they dont do that! tbh same with jeep!

also we hate the drum brakes lmao nobody truly likes em we just joke about it since we have no option from oem... we have aftermarket but the cost is just to much so its rare that its done
I had a 2016 so I was only participating in that section. Maybe the first and second Gen areas of TC were more civil than the third Gen? I ordered mine in 2015 and was active up until a little after I took delivery of it and never went back. Well that is until the Ranger came out and I heard they were roasting it and I had to check out those posts. :inspect:

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
lol I remember when the Ranger came back in 2019 and everyone on Tacoma World was laughing at the 4cyl turbo. I can't wait to hear their excuses now on why the Tacomas 4cyl turbo is so great. ? Let's not forget about the rear drum brakes.:oops:
They only laughed until they tried to beat one to the lane merge ?

I remember back when Ford first released the EB 3.5 and Chevrolet and Dodge (Ram) were both salivating at the prospect of taking over the #1 sales spot.

After all, no truck guy in his right mind would want a turbo V6 over a V8, right?

And then the comparison tests came out and the EB pretty much stomped their V8s in every category.

Now Toyota and GM have both dropped their V6 engines from their midsize trucks in favor of a turbo 4.

Ford led the way and everyone is beginning to follow.

Now with the Maverick, Ford hit a big home run as evidenced by the sold out order books and the still huge markups if you can even find one. A hybrid for that MSRP? Who'da thunk?

You can bet the other manufacturers are noticing it.

If only a hybrid Ranger would appear, providing it is not an inch bigger in. any exterior dimension, I could be tempted to trade.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
My mechanic told me a couple of years ago that Toyota was going to down size there motors and copy Ford and turbo them. Well he was right. He has an older Tundra which is an awesome truck. The new ones look ugly and it seems the Taco is going to be uglier too. HA HA. Not for me.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
My coworker who has a Taco says that a lot of people prefer the drum brakes, supposed to be better off-road or something. Huh?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My coworker who has a Taco says that a lot of people prefer the drum brakes, supposed to be better off-road or something. Huh?
Because they're protected and not exposed like disc brakes. It's less chance of getting something like a rock or stick stuck in there.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Those people have been drinking the 3rd gen koolaid.

The only advantage of drum brakes is that they are cheap.

Just look at all of the serious off-roader focused kits out there that let you swap your disc brakes for drum brakes.

Because they're protected and not exposed like disc brakes. It's less chance of getting something like a rock or stick stuck in there.
I've never experienced that with any of my disc brake trucks.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Just look at all of the serious off-roader focused kits out there that let you swap your disc brakes for drum brakes.

I have a few times but not enough to want to run out and switch to drum brakes. lol

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
lol I remember when the Ranger came back in 2019 and everyone on Tacoma World was laughing at the 4cyl turbo. I can't wait to hear their excuses now on why the Tacomas 4cyl turbo is so great. ? Let's not forget about the rear drum brakes.:oops:
As many of you know, I have a special place in my heart for Toyotas (FJ40 for 46 years and a 360K mile Corolla) but those rear drum brakes on the Taco were one of many reasons I went with the Ranger.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

Absolutely not true in my 46 year experience with a Toyota FJ40 which must be twice as good with four drum brakes (five if you count the emergency brake that is a drum brake on the back of the transfer case at the rear driveshaft - and that never holds).

They don't have the holding power when wet (like in river crossings), sand can absolutely get in there and squeals like a pig. They don't pull evenly and they swell if they get oil on them and then hardly brake at all.

The front brakes are two sets of dual vertical pistons that constantly get pitted and leak brake fluid, which then swells the brake linings.

I love that FJ40 and it has never left me down, even towing a John Deere 950 on a dual-axle trailer I welded up that carried a 6-foot grooming mower, 6-foor bush hog, 5-foot back blade, a host of weed eaters, chainsaws, fuel, water, etc. (ie, way too heavy for that FJ but yanked around for two years).

BUT ... the only thing I don't like are those drum brakes. You never know which way you're gonna pull if you have to slam them on at any speed above 40 and I've rebuilt then a half a dozen times since 1976).

The four disc brakes on the Ranger are a massive plus for me and the way all vehicles should be, imo.

Last edited: