New passenger for Ranger

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Gearing up for our first child! I am looking for suggestions on must haves for the new travel partner.

Looking for suggestions on things like window shades, vehicle baby cameras, seat protectors, go-bags, etc.
We have an infant car seat and stroller but will eventually need the next size up on those items.

Thanks all!
Sponsored

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
Congrats Andrew! I'm excited for you man. You will come back to us a different man once the little one is here - for the better.

You can pick up This seat protector at Target - no need to order online unless you prefer that. They always have them on the shelf in the baby section. Fits well in the Ranger.

Instead of a camera - I recommend a mirror for the little one. Not for you - they love to look at themselves!

Get extras of their favorite toy or binkie because they will chuck them! I recommend not crashing the truck trying to reach for it - grab a spare from up front :sunglasses:

I always used a hanging style shade like this. But the completely suction cup ones are fine. They don't start ripping stuff down with reckless abandon for about a year LOL.

Will be thinking about you - and go mama go!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Gearing up for our first child! I am looking for suggestions on must haves for the new travel partner.

Looking for suggestions on things like window shades, vehicle baby cameras, seat protectors, go-bags, etc.
We have an infant car seat and stroller but will eventually need the next size up on those items.

Thanks all!
Hi Andrew,

Congrats!!!!!

Best,
Phil

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Congrats! Being a parent of 4 wanting the best for your precious cargo can go just like it does around here. Nothing is to good for our babies‼ Honestly though, just get a really good car seat that will last as they grow. Sun screens are nice but all the other stuff is just to make you feel better. Most time as soon as you put them in the car and drive away they pass out like a light. In fact, more times than not that is the only way we got sleep, take ‘em for a ride and knock them out!!!

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Cherish every sleep-deprived moment. They don't stay little for long.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Congrats! Being a parent of 4 wanting the best for your precious cargo can go just like it does around here. Nothing is to good for our babies‼ Honestly though, just get a really good car seat that will last as they grow. Sun screens are nice but all the other stuff is just to make you feel better. Most time as soon as you put them in the car and drive away they pass out like a light. In fact, more times than not that is the only way we got sleep, take ‘em for a ride and knock them out!!!
This.

You don't need all the doodads. A good, safe seat/carrier is all you need.

When ours were little we were big fans of the infant carriers with the snap in bases. Buying multiple bases made it a snap to go from car to car without missing a beat.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Get all the sleep you can
He's not joking. Sleep will soon be the most valuable commodity in your life. You get a chance, take a nap!

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Congrats, Andrew! I agree with those who say that you don't need too much. When mine was a baby, we just had the infant seat with one or two toys that clipped through the handle (so no issues with them falling to the floor), and the headrest mirror, which is honestly more for them than for you; it lets them see you even though they're rear-facing, whereas you'll probably have to contort yourself in order to see them in the rearview mirror without changing it from the position that lets it do what it's meant to do.

Once they age-out of the infant seat and into the forward-facing car seat, get one of those organizers that hangs off the back of the front seat. This will give them a place to put their stuff, and at the same time protect the back of that seat from getting kicked with muddy little shoes. Mine has been in use for over a decade now, and still gets used; it's just different stuff. That being said, you'll want to take it out every so often to clean out the stash of cereal/crackers/etc which will definitely end up in there.
I also got an inexpensive floormat from the store which was long enough to cover the seat bench under the car seat, and drape down towards the floor. This will protect the seat from whatever food/drink they'll spill and once they start trying to climb into their seat (which is going to come quicker than you think), it'll protect the front side of the seat from their scrabbling; depending on the mat you get, it might also give them a bit more traction, making it easier for them to climb up.

I also left a couple of garbage bags in the car, for those unfortunate times where car-sickness reared its ugly head. It only happened a couple of times, but I had a nice large plastic bag to chuck in all of the clothes (and once the car seat "upholstery") and tie it off until I could get it to a laundry machine. That and a spare pack of wet wipes.

And yes, no one's lying about the sleep. As the adage goes, "You spend the first year trying to get them to walk & talk, and the next 17 trying to get them to sit down & shut up!"

Last edited:

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Cherish every sleep-deprived moment. They don't stay little for long.
Truer words were never spoken. And no matter what people say to you, at the time you simply cannot comprehend how quickly the years will go by.

I still sometimes find myself trying to figure out how it went so quickly. Seems like just yesterday...
Sponsored