Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT 302A package carbonized grey
Occupation
Quality Management
Hey guys,

I posted a week or 2 back with my 2022 XLT. I’m absolutely loving it so far and I’m planning on customizing it as much as possible. So far I’ve got a console tray, center console cover, wolfhaus plug is on order.

My next purchase is going to be an aftermarket Trailer hitch. After reading this forum I found some people talking about draw-tite and I’m looking into that one.

my question is what did most people buy? Is the fact that an aftermarket hitch is lower make it more difficult to use? Any advice is appreciated thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 didn't come with a receiver, just the plug-ins for the trailer wire bundle.
I ordered the Curt #13417 off Amazon, it was $132.
It is a Class 3 rated at 900 lbs. tongue weight, 6,000 gross trailer weight and 8,000 lbs. w/ weight distribution.

Easy enough to install. The hitch is held on by the same bolts that hold the bumper.
Just support/clamp the bumper so you don't have to realign it, and bolt on the hitch.
It might be lower than a factory set up, but it can't be all that much lower.

20220225_083946.jpg

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I bought the curt hitch for mine, but the drawtite would have worked too. Curt was supposed to be made in USA, so I went that route. Ground clearance shouldn't be a problem unless you are doing extreme off roading.

FirstNewTruck

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Chevrolet S10, 2021 Ranger XL 4wd supercab
My 2021 XL came with wiring but no receiver too. Put a Curt Class 3 on there, have not towed with it yet but it seems like a well made product. I believe it is C13417 and can be bought for around $140.

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
I also added the Curt to mine. The install was super easy. There are 2 tabs on each side of the bumper that if you put some c-clamps on and it holds the bumper in place while removing the mounting bolts. Then lift the hitch in place, throw the bolts in, torque them and your done.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I order the Draw Tite and it was all scuffed down the the metal out of the box. Amazon gave me a 50% discount but I had to repaint several areas. Several other reviews on Amazon had the same problem.

That being said it's an easy install and it works great. No problems with it sitting lower, I still have to use a 2 1/2" drop with my tent trailer.

I would probably go with the Curt if I had to doit again.

EDIT: I didn't realize the Curt has a lower rating. I guess the Draw-tite is the better option but be prepared to touch up the paint

Last edited:
OP
OP
Signonthewindow
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT 302A package carbonized grey
Occupation
Quality Management
I notice that a curt hitch seems to have a 6000 max towing capacity vs the draw-tite showing a 7500 max.

Any reason to choose the curt over the Draw-tite? By default I’d rather have more capacity.

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There are usually two ratings, one for no weight distributing and one with, that is usually 2,000 lbs. more.
Maybe the 7,500 figure for the Draw Tite is with a weight distributing hitch with the side bars.
The Curt is 6K w/o and 8K with.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
There are usually two ratings, one for no weight distributing and one with, that is usually 2,000 lbs. more.
Maybe the 7,500 figure for the Draw Tite is with a weight distributing hitch with the side bars.
The Curt is 6K w/o and 8K with.
Just remember the rating of the hitch does not change the rating of the truck! It is still 750 tongue and 7500 towing.

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
True. But many of us aren't going to try to push the ratings to the max with our Rangers.
If I need to haul several horses or a backhoe I'll use an F-350.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
True. But many of us aren't going to try to push the ratings to the max with our Rangers.
If I need to haul several horses or a backhoe I'll use an F-350.
Just making the comment because there are those that will and are pushing the rating.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I got the draw-tite. I chose it over the Curt (roughly the same price, and I believe the installation procedure is identical) because of the higher tow rating. Even though I have no plans to go over 6000 pounds, I didn't want to get the lower rated hitch and then forget that I wasn't equipped to tow the amount of weight that the truck was rated for. And I'm pretty sure that the Draw-tite gets 7500 pounds even without weight distribution, though you should double-check that rather than rely on my memory.

The fact that the aftermarket hitch is a bit lower does not make it any harder to use. It will decrease the departure angle a bit, if that's something you're worried about. In my opinion, the OEM hitch looks a little better because of how it's tucked up into the bumper, but that is purely personal preference.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

I posted a week or 2 back with my 2022 XLT. I’m absolutely loving it so far and I’m planning on customizing it as much as possible. So far I’ve got a console tray, center console cover, wolfhaus plug is on order.

My next purchase is going to be an aftermarket Trailer hitch. After reading this forum I found some people talking about draw-tite and I’m looking into that one.

my question is what did most people buy? Is the fact that an aftermarket hitch is lower make it more difficult to use? Any advice is appreciated thank you.
It won't be any more difficult to use, just a smidge lower so it'll decrease your departure angle a tiny amount if you're an off-roading type.

Dmitri

First Name
Dmitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT FX4
Hi guys. Does anyone have 265/65R17 spare tire? Will it fit with Curt 13417 with no problems to its place back?
Sponsored