First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
So... I'm installing my Mishimoto oil catch can... or trying to.

I'm looking for the damn hose. The only hose I can find with a blue connector goes from a reddish orange L-shaped male connector that is spot on for where it should be in the Mishimoto install video. But, that hose goes up to the top of the engine and does not have the same quick connect, but is attached to a black straight male connector.

Here are pictures of that end. The other end, with the blue quick connect looks exactly like what is in the videos for 2019-2020 installs. I can't find a video for anyone installing on a 2021. Maybe Ford changed it? I don't see why....

Any insight or help?
PCV Connector.jpg
PCV Male.jpg
Sponsored

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
Its in there, I just did mine last weekend and it was a BITCH. Keep looking you will find it. The hard part is getting it out then the new in.
Also take off your front drivers side wheel it makes it much easier.

Look at 1:21 it shows where the hose is. remember you are only pulling one hose off to replace with two hoses.

OP
OP
Sariandan

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Its in there, I just did mine last weekend and it was a BITCH. Keep looking you will find it. The hard part is getting it out then the new in.
Also take off your front drivers side wheel it makes it much easier.

Look at 1:21 it shows where the hose is. remember you are only pulling one hose off to replace with two hoses.
I have the wheel off. I'm just not seeing it.

I installed mine on my 21, just took quite a bit of time and jamming my hands in really tight spaces. I went straight off of the mishimoto vid on youtube
It's good to know that nothing has changed. I'm looking at a shop manual now. To get to this hose, you're supposed to take the manifold off. I guess this is what happens when we find shortcuts. LOL.

I'll keep looking. I must just be blind.

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies.

OP
OP
Sariandan

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay. This is the other end of the hose that I showed above.
This is baffling me. It’s connected right where the video shows. I think. This is behind the coolant hose, a little above and to the left, behind some other stuff. In relation to the oil filter, it’s up and to the left. But again, this hose goes to the top of the engine. There is no other quick connect near this one, lower on the engine. I’m just fucking lost.

93E41FDD-B0A7-409B-BE73-623A5E4C1737.jpeg

OP
OP
Sariandan

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay... looking at the video for the hundredth time, I can identify everything that can be seen. I just can't find this fucking hose. This is driving me nuts. I'm going to look in the morning again. I have somewhere to be around noon. So, when the wheel goes back on, project catch can is over. LOL.

OP
OP
Sariandan

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I found another video of an install of this. Again, the hose goes from a yellow fitting to a red fitting (or the other way around, no idea). But, this fitting here is the one I pulled the above hose from. That hose runs from this fitting to the one on top of the engine. Not a yellow fitting right above it. I have no other quick disconnects in that area. I have spent hours looking for another quick disconnect on a yellow fitting.

If anyone can give any advice or helpful hints, or if anyone knows if something was changed on the motor, I would sure appreciate the help. Bonus beer or wings, or both, if someone is in my area and wants to come and show me how this is done.

My truck was built in September, in case we know of anything that has changed, during the production year.

Mishimoto installation issue.jpg

Desertranger19

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
The 21 model years have changed slightly. Trust me I did the same thing. I swapped my catch can from my 19 ranger to my 21 and I couldn’t find the port either and I work for Ford for over 20 years! Lol
They changed the source vacuum to the top of the manifold instead of like the 19/20 model years which was closer to the PCV hose and wrapped around right next to it with the yellow fitting. My guess is to maybe not suck in so much oil since it’s climbing upward? Who knows. But to the OP, that picture you posted with the port and hose unplugged is the location where the kit gets connected to now.
I have the JLT 3.0 kit and I emailed JLT too and told them of the new updated install location.

7863DD66-3E32-4470-A63A-0ACE383FB025.jpeg

OP
OP
Sariandan

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The 21 model years have changed slightly. Trust me I did the same thing. I swapped my catch can from my 19 ranger to my 21 and I couldn’t find the port either and I work for Ford for over 20 years! Lol
They changed the source vacuum to the top of the manifold instead of like the 19/20 model years which was closer to the PCV hose and wrapped around right next to it with the yellow fitting. My guess is to maybe not suck in so much oil since it’s climbing upward? Who knows. But to the OP, that picture you posted with the port and hose unplugged is the location where the kit gets connected to now.
I have the JLT 3.0 kit and I emailed JLT too and told them of the new updated install location.

7863DD66-3E32-4470-A63A-0ACE383FB025.jpeg
Dude, I was going nuts. So, red port behind coolant line, to black port on top of engine. Black port is what used to be the yellow/white port, correct?

Thank you, for the confirmation.

OP
OP
Sariandan

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Next step… both hoses have these new green clips, unlike the videos. The port it’s connecting to has to push the tabs on the inside, so you can push the green clip down to lock it in. The red port doesn’t do this. Or, at least I have been unable to make it do it. I got the other hose connected to the black port on top of the engine. So, it's probably user error on the red port. I'll resume operation cluster fuck catch can in the morning. Y'all have a good night, and thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sariandan

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay.... got the connector on. I was just way to frustrated last night (early this morning).

I'll add this to the list of things I'll just pay someone else to do, if I ever do it again.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Ahh, this thread reminds me of the joys of modding vehicles.

All the frustrations from what were supposed to be simple tasks. 5 minute jobs turn to 10 hours.
LOVE IT.

Anyway enjoy your catch can.

OP
OP
Sariandan

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

All the frustrations from what were supposed to be simple tasks. 5 minute jobs turn to 10 hours.
LOVE IT.

Yeah... now it's on to the intake. The filter grommet is being a bitch. Then those stupid clamps. Bah. This is the last mod for a while, anyway. At least the tail gate damper was easy. :crackup:

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

LOVE IT.

Rated "Easy-Moderate" 1 hour installation. *5 hours later* :curse:

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Rated "Easy-Moderate" 1 hour installation. *5 hours later* :curse:
Here's my F150s catch can.

bNFvASL.jpg

took me 2 hours to route the lines(I had plastic lines, had to downgrade to rubber hose for it to work). Cans 10" long and 3.5" diameter, made it imposible to mount anywhere top side due to fords hatered of having engine bays with room.

Drain valve with long hose can be accessed through fender liner.
fggjxw6.jpg

Because I'm mentally challenged, I plan to repeat the the difficult task on the ranger.. Whenever ford builds it.
Sponsored