Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
2.5” RC! About to be much different though.
Interesting...I'm on Eibach 2.5 and yours seem much higher...what are you changing to?
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
If the Maverick had been available back when I bought my Ranger, I might have gotten that instead. On the other hand, I almost didn't get the Ranger because of how short the bed is, and with the Maverick I would have been giving up another 6 inches.

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
Great write-up; thanks!
The stock steel wheels certainly don't help. But regardless, it just looks....boring.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Maverick looks cute. Ranger is as small as ill go. Unless i can get a 4x2 xlt under 30k brand new. In a full size.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I still like a boxed frame underneath me, unibodies kinda fold up under collisions.
That's kinda the point, though. Better that the vehicle folds up instead of you. Whether the unibody gets trashed, or the frame gets bent, it's probably getting totaled either way.

I would be less than surprised if the Maverick gets better crash test ratings than the Ranger.

Trucks continue to be body-on-frame (for the most part) to support heavier payloads and towing. You sacrifice some safety for the ..."truck-i-ness"(?). Not to say one or the other is better. It depends on what you need out of your vehicle. For the average person, the Maverick is probably going to check darn near every box.

Speaking of crash test ratings, was looking at NHTSA while I was typing this. Do they know something we don't? Or did someone screw up their database:
1634003770299.png

At the time of this writing, 4WD is not available with the hybrid drivetrain, according to Ford.

Turbo Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Saw 2 Mavericks at a dealer today, an XLT and Lariat. First impression is that they are bigger than I thought they would be, from a distance kinda looked like a ranger from the back and sides. The front end is sooooo ugly though. Interior looked decent, bed is small for sure, but for urban dwellers, probably will work for most Wal Mart trips. Nice tie downs, light and outlet in the bed. Not a truck I would want but should sell a fair amount of them

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Thanks for the review Ben, I do enjoy my Ranger, buthonestly had the Maverick been on the market I would have probably bought it instead. I don't use a truck like I used too, and the Maverick would have been prefect for my minimal needs. Will I trade my Ranger, noooooo way baby.

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Great review!

As some said, "If I didn't have my Ranger now, I'd go this way." And i'll admit, I am kinda tempted to go that way even tho I do love my Ranger. I do miss the MPG that I had on my old Ranger vs now.

The bed really isn't used that much for me, Haul firewood, leaves, and some items. I don't tow anything.. So the temptation is there to trade in? I'd pull the trigger if they had the AWD Hybird. We own a Prius, so the Hybrid is no stranger to me.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Great write-up; thanks!
The stock steel wheels certainly don't help. But regardless, it just looks....boring.
I've seen a couple now IRL and the roofline to bed dimensions are a little cludgy in appearance and the attempt to make the mav look like a truck makes it look clumsy too me.

Some cool features for sure and a great entry price point but it's not there yet. I wonder if Ford will start cutting the builds down like they started doing in the Ranger in 2020.

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
Funny - I make this comparison almost daily. A co worker and I have formed the "Velocity blue parking zone"

PXL_20221029_000108843.MP.jpg

We have driven each other's trucks now and agree that we have made great personal decisions but love each other's rides for what they are. He is not a truck guy and loves it as a utility hybrid. I am a photographer that is always doing Lord knows what in don't ask where..
Sponsored