First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Scab Hot Pepper Red.
Occupation
retired software engineer
When I installed the tune I noticed a small gain around town. I normally don't do a lot of highway driving back home but now traveling we're doing 80-90% highway. I just thought with larger tires, 2.5" lift and the tune that was darn good mileage especially seeing I'm averaging 75-85 mph.
What tune do you have loaded. I'm going on a trip but not as long as yours. Right now I have the 91 performance tune loaded.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What tune do you have loaded. I'm going on a trip but not as long as yours. Right now I have the 91 performance tune loaded.
I have the 91-93 soft shift tune now. I was running the 91-93 performance tune for about a year and while I liked it once I tried the soft shift I like the smoothness of this on better. IIRC the performance is the same just the shifting is smoother.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
See Andy's living proof the damper adds mpg! :shock:?
But if you add a second damper, wouldn't the additional mpg gain be offset by the extra weight of the second damper.
Also, how would you "sync" the 2 dampers so they would open and close exactly the same. If one opened quicker than the other, you run the risk of "twisted tailgate syndrome" !!!:crazy:

MadMatter

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Marketing
I haven't gone on a super long trip yet, but i bet that isn't too far off. I'm getting 20mpg city/highway mix.
Using the auto-start feature has helped save about 1mpg in the city but i wonder what wear and tear on the alt/starter will be like if i keep using it.

I'm also on 33" BFG's. Also, wind has made a huge factor sometimes. I drove to Rock Springs from Utah and the wind pushed me the whole way to 27 mpg but i got 21 on the wayback haha.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I haven't gone on a super long trip yet, but i bet that isn't too far off. I'm getting 20mpg city/highway mix.
Using the auto-start feature has helped save about 1mpg in the city but i wonder what wear and tear on the alt/starter will be like if i keep using it.

I'm also on 33" BFG's. Also, wind has made a huge factor sometimes. I drove to Rock Springs from Utah and the wind pushed me the whole way to 27 mpg but i got 21 on the wayback haha.
I've never used the stop/start...first button I push OFF when I start up. Ford will never convince me that stopping/starting the engine 40-50 times a day is good for the truck.
Next door neighbor swears by his on his Chevy, but I've been in his suv, and every time it stops and then starts there is a "jerk/clunk" in the system.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
I'm averaging 24-26 MPG driving the South east Ohio and West Virginia hills and mountains.
It can be done, drive the speed limit #1, don't let the truck sit and warm up or cool down. I let mine run long enough for it to idle down.
I've tried the start stop last 2 tanks- I think it helps
Put a cover on the bed- MPG prior to that was high 23's. After lowest was 24. something and up to 26.
If its above say 72F, I will let the truck warmup for just about 10 seconds, enough time to fasten my seat belt, get the radio set. Oil at room temperature flows well, and it is 0 weight anyways.

A lot of the warmup process today is for emissions, not oil and oil pressure.

During the winter I will let the idle normalize.

KA5CVH

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ka5cvh.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Inspector
I use to work out in NM a lot and drove my company car from Houston, (caught a couple of things going out and back) and found that running ethanol free gasoline which is quite plentiful (at least then) in NM I was getting 32-33 MPG in a 3.8L V6 Taurus, where around SE Texas I was only getting 27-29 on the road. BTW I was driving ~70,000 miles / year back then.

KA5CVH

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ka5cvh.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Inspector
that stopping/starting the engine 40-50 times a day is good for the truck.

You have it wrong ... IT IS GOOD . for those who get to replace the starter more often than necessary. Just not good for the person paying for it.

OneMore

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I'm averaging 24-26 MPG driving the South east Ohio and West Virginia hills and mountains.
It can be done, drive the speed limit #1, don't let the truck sit and warm up or cool down. I let mine run long enough for it to idle down.
I've tried the start stop last 2 tanks- I think it helps
Put a cover on the bed- MPG prior to that was high 23's. After lowest was 24. something and up to 26.

Tony,
That is exceptional mileage for a Tremor.
I would hope to duplicate those numbers when I finely have enough break in miles.

RangerRick15

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Operations
MPG depends on many factors: setup, (tune, tire pressure, where (elevation somewhat, but road flat/hilly and conditions smooth, rough, or even snow or rain), how you drive and the traffic on the road. “How you drive” truly being the biggest impact.

If I’m in a lot of traffic at 75 mph, with the cruise on, and the spacing set to minimum, it’s not exactly drafting, but the mpg get up between 25-28, on the computer. I’m 1300 miles into a road trip over the past week and the cumulative tally on computer trip 2 says 25.6 mpg overall. I’ve had tanks indicating 27-28 mpg on trip 1, but by hand calculation it’s usually 25.#.

If you want to “see it” get up to 28-30 mpg, just go cruise on a road right after filling up and resetting and drive at 50-55 mph. A lot of county and state roads I’ve been on are slower speeds, and that’s basically all I can do for speed, so you get the better mpg for a while.

This is all with 87. I only tow with premium and about once every 5-6 fill ups use premium from Amoco. And it’s east coast driving, below 1000’, flat and rolling hills, no ridge lines or mountains.

I’m not soft footing the gas always either. (Poor man’s tune) And I put it in S to take off from lights, stops, or on on ramps, and back to D for regular driving and still get better than 24 overall, since the truck broke in around 3k miles. At 14k now. And the drivers side sag just showed up around 11k, btw.

The stock truck is pretty awesome I’m getting good mpg and also has zero problems loading it up with weight or a trailer. Strong when it needs to be, efficient when it can be.

Last edited:

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Back in Phoenix my normal routine is horrible on gas mileage. Three mile round trip for coffee and pup cups in the morning is not the best gauge for fuel mileage, as I would only average just under 18 mpg.

But reset the trip meter for the trip to Idaho and with a daily routine of 28 mile round trip for coffee and pup cups with a stop off at the nature preserve I now get close to 24 mpg.

Up here in Idaho its all two lane country road and then the freeway into town, with the big difference being very little stop and go.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I saw a pump that had E-Free in Wyoming but I didn't use it. Everywhere else had regular pumps and I'm almost positive they had ethanol.
E free, man those were the days. I remember when gas had gas in it lol. leaded unleaded . just thinking of fuel without ethanol makes me remember that smell of an american v8 with a carb before it was up to temp. i dont know how to describe it but i know yall know what i mean. im sure it was toxic cfc or something from the exhaust we were smelling. very unique. but it was from a time when 5 bucks would buy more than 5 gallons and folks were not too awfully worried over mpg...
1655918988083.png

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
E free, man those were the days. I remember when gas had gas in it lol. leaded unleaded . just thinking of fuel without ethanol makes me remember that smell of an american v8 with a carb before it was up to temp. i dont know how to describe it but i know yall know what i mean. im sure it was toxic cfc or something from the exhaust we were smelling. very unique. but it was from a time when 5 bucks would buy more than 5 gallons and folks were not too awfully worried over mpg...
1655918988083.png
That was cologne :p
Sponsored