Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
Love the D and PMS.

Drive it like you stole it has worked since the 70s.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TICKLE ZOMBIE

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 2WD Sport
From some research it sounds like sport mode for going up hills and tow mode for going downhill (even when not towing a trailer) is a good mix to use?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Mine acts like a dirt bike , so that's how I drive it , I gave up on smooth and comfortable a long time ago , it clunks and jumps and winds out like a 2 stroke , at first I resisted a 2 stroke dirt bike truck at my age, but now I embrace it...

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I used sport mode during the test drive on a brand new truck with less than 40 miles on it. I also found a gravel parking lot to test out the 4 wheel drive system too. I want to know that everything works before buying.

I also used every mode during the first 1,000 miles. No I did not abuse things or run the engine to redline but I definitely varied the RPM's

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
I'm more old school. I don't rev the piss out of a new engine just b/c some random people say it's ok or use terms like "modern engines". They still have rings, pistons, valves and use motor oil. Pretty fundamental stuff If the engines were so "modern", you wouldn't need motor oil to coat, cool and protect key internals.
"some random people" No, you didn't. Granted, the internet is filled with them, but Mr. Schilke has more Ranger knowledge and expertise than every member on this forum combined. By far. Nothing random about his advice.

Deleted member 15875

"some random people" No, you didn't. Granted, the internet is filled with them, but Mr. Schilke has more Ranger knowledge and expertise than every member on this forum combined. By far. Nothing random about his advice.
No worries. I'm sure Mr. Schilke has a vast array of knowledge to share, but it doesn't negate my opinion. Plus he validated there's nothing wrong with my approach, albeit not necessary.

This is like one of those oil debates. "what's your favorite oil". You know how those conversations go.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I only used it to get a little harder on the pedal after I hit 1k miles.

Don't drive like a moron (WOT pulls from lights, ect) and sport mode will be fine to use.

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
We shall call her muddy flaps.
My ex wife said that often....caveat was it wasn't directed towards me and she was referring to others, such as the best man at my wedding.
We shall call her muddy flaps

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I'm with Mr Shilke. Drive it like you stole it. what's the worst that can happen? you use your bumber to bumper warranty?
Worse than using the warranty?
The engine doesn't break until five years and one day.
That being said, I follow the "drive it like you stole" it school.
Sponsored