port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
It is advisable to cut it with gasoline or paint thinner so it gets all the way to the river. Oil floats on water so the fish should be ok.
"should be"
Sponsored

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Only thing I change oil on these days are the motorcycles.
Hahah, me too. And quite a bit. By end of the season I probably have about 15 gallons I have to go recycle. And all my bikes are safety wired.

I currently take my truck in because - I don't know I just don't give my 4 wheel vehicles the kind of love my 2 wheelers get. But I was thinking of installing what some of my Iron Butt gold wing street buddies have - one of these quick use valves.
bsx-promo.jpg

If we got something like that, and maybe an elbow extension on the oil filter to put it in an easily accessible place, maybe oil changes would be super quick. Anyone have anything like that?

My dealer currently does mine but I was thinking of switching over to DIY once the truck is out of warranty because of how hard they strain to find things they need to fix. It's pretty annoying so it's generally best to keep out of warranty vehicles out of dealers greedy view.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
oil and filters are half price at menards or wally world. back before I finally got my own code reader I'd go there and they would try to sell me wrong "fixes". I'm on the eighth duralast branded wiper motor for he hearse but that came with a lifetime warranty and now I can change it in the rain in 5 minutes. I finally learned to buy my parts at Car Parts Warehouse. same warranties and half the cost and the guys who work there love working on cars
Like I said, Autozones are hit and miss. Yours seems to be a miss, but my experience at our local one has been quite a bit better. I've gone there multiple times to get codes read, and they've never tried to sell me a wrong part to fix the problem (although I did have that happen at another national chain). The only time I ever had a part from there fail was due to my own clumsiness when trying to install it. And their loan-a-tool program has come in handy quite a few times for me.

Yes, lower prices can frequently be found elsewhere (especially regular price on oil/filters/wipers/etc), but only at places that can't talk through a problem with me the way the guys at the local Autozone do.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
It took them over an hour to change the oil on a Ranger?

Sounds like they are in the wrong business. I don't like saying this, but seems like a combination of stupid and lazy.
If it took that long I would be looking for oil in my driveway and check the dipstick as soon as I got home .

Reactions: R_B

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
" I quit changing my oil years ago because getting rid of the old oil is such a PITFA! "

i thought you just drained it down the driveway into the storm sewer catch basins....am I doing it wrong??
Ah the old days . I now live a mile from the city oil recycle place much farther than the catch basin .

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
You don't want to take it to Rockland Ford? I need to schedule another oil change. 10100 miles in 6 months. I'll use the dealer for a few years. It's not crazy expensive.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I mean... Mobil has been hurting, they are probably short staffed. They are slashing corporate employee benefits left and right.. I assume its trickling down one way or another.

R_B

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired
I used to just pour it along the edge of my garage until I noticed the leaves on my big maple tree were turning an unnatural color.
Back when I was a young teenager, our old wood fence was starting to age some. Dad bought a Wagner sprayer and got the 5 gal. bucket of used motor oil and started spraying the fence.
He quickly morphed into Tom Sawyer.
Before you know it, we were fighting about who gets to paint the next section of the fence!
The fence did stink in the hot Houston summers but it made it last for several more years I believe!

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Back when I was a young teenager, our old wood fence was starting to age some. Dad bought a Wagner sprayer and got the 5 gal. bucket of used motor oil and started spraying the fence.
He quickly morphed into Tom Sawyer.
Before you know it, we were fighting about who gets to paint the next section of the fence!
The fence did stink in the hot Houston summers but it made it last for several more years I believe!
DIY wolmanized. :like: I'm always falling for Tom's trickery.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I watched a Ranger oil change vid on YouTube the other day......I can hardly blame them for saying no. Other than they should have told you that on the phone.
Between the fact the oil filter is horribly placed and theres no plug at all in the transmission pan, makes me not want to buy a new Ranger.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
They don't like the skid plate for the drain location and they sure don't like taking the cover off in the wheel well to get to the filter. That is why these quick oil change places are hit or miss when having service performed. My dealership is 50 miles away from the house. It's convenient to the office though. I have found a quick lube place a stones throw from the house that I EDUCATED into giving me a good oil change experience when I can't get to the dealership. ;)

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
well thats a new one.
I'm all about routine maintenance. Fluid changes, undercoating etc from day one with a new vehicle. I'm old fashioned, I keep vehicles as long as can. The longer you can drive a vehicle after you have it paid for, you beat the bank at their own game.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I watched a Ranger oil change vid on YouTube the other day......I can hardly blame them for saying no. Other than they should have told you that on the phone.
Between the fact the oil filter is horribly placed and theres no plug at all in the transmission pan, makes me not want to buy a new Ranger.
Not sure what video you were watching. Changing the oil is not difficult at all. The filter placement sounds bad when you first hear about it, but it's really pretty readily accessible.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Over an hour?! BWAHAHAHAAAA...I wouldn't trust their high school help if I were you...the longest time for changing my oil is draining it lol... bunch of armatures...
:cool:

1610313428906.png

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
" I quit changing my oil years ago because getting rid of the old oil is such a PITFA! "

i thought you just drained it down the driveway into the storm sewer catch basins....am I doing it wrong??
You're supposed to drive up on the curb over the gutter grating so you can drain both oil and radiator fluid at same time...flows better:inspect:
Sponsored