First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
6 or seven splinters that were at least 1/4” long. They curly one I described was maybe 1/2”. I’m not too worried about it, just figured I’d ask around to see if anybody else experienced the same thing.
I've built a few motors as well. What your describing is disturbing and should not be in any motor. Wonder what the source is. Sounds like machining scrapes. Is if from damage,? left over machining scraps? did it cause damage? I'd do as the other guy says, take the stuff to the dealer and get it documented, i'd open the filter as well. Maybe talk to an oil analysis Co. about what they would recommend as far as analyzing engine oil on a new motor, because like the other guy said, there's allot of wear off in the first couple of thousand miles, but nothing like your describing in and correctly set up motor. We've established it's not normal, what is normal is a very fine almost dust like metal particles in the filter oil mainly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BLU_RNGR

BLU_RNGR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2010 Subaru WRX STi, 2000 ford ranger XLT, 1973 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Self employed
1/4 shavings would definitely be alarming. Are you certain you have lifetime powertrain?
Yes, the dealer told me if it ever needs an engine or transmission it’s 100 dollar deductible. As long as the title stays in my name it’s covered.
But it’s a bummer I threw a livernois tune on it the day before I changed the oil. Maybe if they if they don’t dig deep It would still get covered. I just put another 500 miles on the vehicle yesterday, and it’ll be another 500 back home. I’ll change the oil when I get back and see what’s up.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Alex. WRT draining oil into a "clean" container. Allow some person experience. In the Navy Jet engine oil is changed based on analysis. There is a spec lab on every aircraft carrier. Years ago I wanted to see how it was done. At the lab there was a small tin of small (1/4" x 1/4") brown pellets, about 50. A drop of oil is placed on a pellet and the pellet placed in an oven. The pellet is burned in a very controlled environment and on a screen a lengths of colored light is given off as the associated elements burn. This amount of the element. is printed on a sheet. The pellets and burning have probably changed (improved) but the method is the same today.

As I watched, understanding what was going on but still wowed by what I'd seen, I reached down and picked up a pellet from the tray of them. After a quick look I return the pellet to the tray. The young Petty Officer gave me a look that could kill, picked up the tray and threw them all in the trash. The oil on my finger tip contaminated the pellet and since we didn't know which pellet it was, he had to throw them all out. So yes, your container was not clean.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Large pieces like that would be alarming to me. Every oil change I've done on my 18 mustang has been sent to blackstone for analysis. Good piece of mind for me for $28. You will always have metal in the oil (talking small particles here), but as long as it trends downward with each oil change, you are basically just filtering out machining particles. If you all of a sudden have a spike in particles (or fuel, or water, etc.) then you have an issue. I haven't done my first oil change on the ranger yet, but I plan on using blackstone for this too.

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, as I have not changed my oil yet, does the oil drain plug on the Ranger have a built in magnet? Some vehicles do, so wondering if ours does.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Just curious, as I have not changed my oil yet, does the oil drain plug on the Ranger have a built in magnet? Some vehicles do, so wondering if ours does.
Mine didn't. Suspect the bean counters would of nixed it if it did

OP
OP
BLU_RNGR

BLU_RNGR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
Alex. WRT draining oil into a "clean" container. Allow some person experience. In the Navy Jet engine oil is changed based on analysis. There is a spec lab on every aircraft carrier. Years ago I wanted to see how it was done. At the lab there was a small tin of small (1/4" x 1/4") brown pellets, about 50. A drop of oil is placed on a pellet and the pellet placed in an oven. The pellet is burned in a very controlled environment and on a screen a lengths of colored light is given off as the associated elements burn. This amount of the element. is printed on a sheet. The pellets and burning have probably changed (improved) but the method is the same today.

As I watched, understanding what was going on but still wowed by what I'd seen, I reached down and picked up a pellet from the tray of them. After a quick look I return the pellet to the tray. The young Petty Officer gave me a look that could kill, picked up the tray and threw them all in the trash. The oil on my finger tip contaminated the pellet and since we didn't know which pellet it was, he had to throw them all out. So yes, your container was not clean.
Actually I stated earlier in the thread that the “old container” was the empty 5 liter jug of FRESH oil I had poured into the engine after the drain plug was reinstalled. But furthermore, the oil was drained into a brand new pan then poured into the 5 liter jug. So no, my container was not contaminated.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The more aluminum there is, the less useful a magnet is

OP
OP
BLU_RNGR

BLU_RNGR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
Update: I changed my oil today again after another 1200 miles and It was pretty damn dark. Only found one small sliver about 1/8” long, It appeared to be aluminum as it wasn’t magnetic. There were a lot of fine sparkles, and I attribute that to the break in process still. So I think I’m in the clear!...hopefully.

But unfortunately, I’ve ran into the oil smelling completely like gas. Maybe there will be a fix for that one soon. ?

Billdub01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Any large pieces of metal in the oil can be signs of a problem. Take the oil with you and the truck to the dealer. Let them asses it. Thsts what your warranties for. Better to be safe than sorry... you'll feel better rather than possibly blowing up the motor.

My Grandfather and Uncle were master mechanics. I know a little... metal like you describe is a possibility bad sign.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
If you're seeing less metal, that's definitely a good sign. As far as darkness goes, these turbo motors get the oil pretty dark rather quickly. At least they do in the mustang world. I wouldn't worry too much about that. If the fuel has you worried, get it analyzed at blackstone. They can tell you fuel percentage. It might be okay and just smell bad, but science doesn't lie.

OP
OP
BLU_RNGR

BLU_RNGR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
Any large pieces of metal in the oil can be signs of a problem. Take the oil with you and the truck to the dealer. Let them asses it. Thsts what your warranties for. Better to be safe than sorry... you'll feel better rather than possibly blowing up the motor.

My Grandfather and Uncle were master mechanics. I know a little... metal like you describe is a possibility bad sign.
yes, I will be taking the oil to the dealer and see what they say. It’s be good to get it documented as well.

OP
OP
BLU_RNGR

BLU_RNGR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
If you're seeing less metal, that's definitely a good sign. As far as darkness goes, these turbo motors get the oil pretty dark rather quickly. At least they do in the mustang world. I wouldn't worry too much about that. If the fuel has you worried, get it analyzed at blackstone. They can tell you fuel percentage. It might be okay and just smell bad, but science doesn't lie.
yeah, Definitely better than the last oil change. I would change the oil on my STi and it would be black in a week. (Bigger ring gaps and forged pistons) It is odd to see it from a brand new oem engine though.
I’ve still got both jugs of used oil that I can take samples from, and plan on sending in a couple samples.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
We changed the oil and diff fluid at about 2k miles. The oil was dirty, but did not notice large particles. The diff fluid was discolored but clear. The plug for the diff had a small amount of magnetic debris. I poured the oil from the filter...nothing alarming. Good luck.
Sponsored