Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I also did my first oil change at 500 miles. I was mostly concerned by reports of oil dilution by gasoline, but I also wanted to switch to Mobil1 0W-30. I’m curious about your choice of 5W-40. Can you please explain why this is a better choice than the prescribed 5W-30? I’ve used many gallons of 5W-40 and 0W-40, but only in German cars that required it.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Just read a few other folks had tried 5w-40. Curious to see if it will maintain 5w-30 viscosity after any fuel dilution.
What I drained out of my truck today was almost like water. there was fuel dilution at 500 miles, just not sure how much.

What is behind your choice of using 0W-30, and why it was a better choice than 5w-30?
I chose 0W-30 for two reasons. First, it gets cold enough here in winter for Ford to recommend its use. Its still a 30W at warmer temps, but I can run it all year without thinking about the temperature. Second, to the best of my understanding, oils with larger viscosity ranges require better quality base stocks to perform across that broad range, so the 0W-30 should be a better quality oil than the 5W-30 under all operating conditions. This is why I am curious about the 5W-40. It takes a very high-quality base stock to span that range of viscosity.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Did you save the oil that came out? No need to do any guesswork on if it was heavily or lightly diluted you can get a test kit to your house in a few days from black stone.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Hard to believe your oil looked dark and dirty at only 541 miles. Mines still a golden brown at 3000.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Changed my oil today at 3425 miles. mine was also golden on the stick but a dark weird brown coming out. I didnt smell any fuel in my oil, but I will say that it was some thin thin oil. granted it was warm and it is a light weight, but it sure seems odd to me.
Replaced it with Mobil 1 full syn. so we will see what happens!

also, I suggest anyone doing their own invest in a filter wrench. Henry Ford sure didnt want mine to come off. it was on there tighter than any filter I have ever encountered.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Am I alone in finding it amazing that folks are not using the Ford specified oil weight for their engines?

Engines that are under warranty.

Last edited:

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This thread got me curious about a lot of things engine oil related and I ended up going down a rabbit hole that lead me to this video:

I have a bad habit of looking up weird things like that when I wonder what would work and won't. But the Internet never lets me down. Don't try bacon grease at home. :D

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
nope...i was eluding to that in my earlier post.
one of the negatives to consider
Yup, follow manufacture's guide & after 5 yrs, whatever.....

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Am I alone in finding it amazing that folks are not using the Ford specified oil weight for their engines?

Engines that are under warranty.
[/QUOTE

I used the same 5w-30 as specified. All I did was decide to change the oil early

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
Maybe I better be meltin' me some bacon grease! HEY, maybe bacon grease would would prevent carbon buildup?? LOL
I would NEVER waste good bacon grease in an engine when I makes everything taste better when cooking with it instead.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I don't understand that either. We seem to agree on something ?

I don't trust auto companies to do the right thing in the long run, but in the short run they want the vehicles to hold together and perform properly until the warranty is done. Proper lubrication would be one thing to help make that happen.

I might have a catch can on the truck, but I will always use the specified fluids ?

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Okay, the 5W-40 came out today. After a 5 minute drive to let the oil heat up a little, I drained it. that heated oil had the consistency of water, slick though.

Shocking what 5w-30 looks like at full oil temp (lower viscosity).

In went PUP 5w-30. Quite recommended for Ecoboost engines.

No one can say anything about any warranty issues..
rangeroil.jpg

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Screw it, I'm going to put in the 20W50 oil my Harley uses... someone stop me! :muscle::punch:
Sponsored