First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Screw it, I'm going to put in the 20W50 oil my Harley uses... someone stop me! :muscle::punch:
LOL. I could have left the 5w-40 in mine after I seen how thin it was when draining.
Its hard to believe these engines run and tolerate oil as thin as this.

I can't imagine what the 0w-20 in a chevy silverado is like. That's water consistency.
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I chose 0W-30 for two reasons. First, it gets cold enough here in winter for Ford to recommend its use. Its still a 30W at warmer temps, but I can run it all year without thinking about the temperature. Second, to the best of my understanding, oils with larger viscosity ranges require better quality base stocks to perform across that broad range, so the 0W-30 should be a better quality oil than the 5W-30 under all operating conditions. This is why I am curious about the 5W-40. It takes a very high-quality base stock to span that range of viscosity.
Couple years ago I ran Mobil 1 0w-30 in my old Sport Trac for 5000 miles and got a used oil analysis which came back not real good. Different vehicle and different engine but a used oil analysis is the only way to know for sure.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
This thread got me curious about a lot of things engine oil related and I ended up going down a rabbit hole that lead me to this video:

I have a bad habit of looking up weird things like that when I wonder what would work and won't. But the Internet never lets me down. Don't try bacon grease at home. :D
Everything’s better with bacon anything. ;)

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Everything’s better with bacon anything. ;)
I emptied my 5W-40 bacon grease today! LOL

On another note, now I want some Chili's Bacon Ranch Chicken Quesadillas... YUM
Sponsored