First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Definitely!! It was 27 degrees here the other morning and it was fun?
It does the same here. When I first got my tune it was August and 110 outside. Sure it made a difference from stock but boy what a difference once it cooled off. This time of year with the color weather it feels like a 30hp gain and way more responsive.?

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
ive seen 5stars dyno before. I just want the tuners out of the equation for obvious reasons that I believe they are biased to show something that leans towards their tunes. they're all about selling product, not about settling a playground scuffle.
I guess my request for a regular joe having dyno'd the high/lo octanes on his own will be the holy grail.
There are non-tuner dyno's out there showing the same. Tuning companies would show base low ball dyno numbers to make theirs look better if that were the case.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Yup you agree with me as well then about cost per mileage being more efficient with 87.... I was specifically stating the power advantages of premium. It is clearly there, .7 seconds faster 0-80 is big.
From previous math sessions, you would need something in the vicinity of 5 MPG increase from regular to premium fuel to break even on the per-mile cost. That’s never going to happen with any tuning strategy.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
yes and i saw that, but how repeatable is that?
one test isnt convincing me yet.
I can go out today and rip a whole bunch of 0-80 runs and never be consistent enough to make that claim
People here like to believe this is one "little test" that isn't rigorously tested. There really won't be studies like this replicated by anyone but the NHTSA. The peer reviewer even mentions how stupidly high quality of testing they do at this government lab..

https://www.anl.gov/sites/www/files/2018-02/Powertrain_fs_FIN.pdf

Reactions: Doc

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
There are non-tuner dyno's out there showing the same. Tuning companies would show base low ball dyno numbers to make theirs look better if that were the case.
Agreed! They would want thier product to appear as valuable as possible, especially with several competing tuners out there.

I put my truck on a Dynojet before I even had 500 miles on it. I fill it with 92 fuel starting when I got it, though it had 3/4 tank of 87 from the dealer. Anyway, it put out 259 WHP / 287 WTQ on the Dynojet. The two runs were very close to each other and that is the average of both runs. Now either that's an incredibly low 4 percent drive train loss, or more more likely, the crank numbers are closer to ~300 crank HP / ~325 crank TQ. The numbers from my dyno are fairly similar to what others have reported on premium fuel. Do I care if those numbers would be lower on 87 fuel? No, not even a tiny bit. There are enough premium fuel dyno's out there for our trucks to see that accounting for drive train losses these engines put out about 300 crank hp. Any time someone wants to run 87 fuel for a while then pay for a couple dyno pulls, be my guest but I just don't see why the argument even matters.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Man, I wish I had read your message a couple years ago.... My 2019 has about every aftermarket induction and exhaust mod out there including the turbo. I have a tune, well, like probably 9 of them, from a single company I won't name in an effort to avoid triggering @Frenchy.

//elbow to the rib

I have hit 500 HP on the PID output by the truck. Not sure how that translates to wheel HP and I don't really care. It quick enough to give anyone a rush and fast enough to get in plenty of trouble.

The problem is that I ran out of things to do under the hood to satisfy my appetite for garage projects. So the suspension has been almost fully changed, I have an Xtrusion-Overland rack and KC M-rack on the roof with the Pro6 light bar, lots of jingle jangles, 33 inch tires, I have a set of Icon Tubular UCAs in the garage waiting to go on...

Sorry, I should have started... Hi, my name is Jim and I am addicted to truck modifications.
Hi Jim, did you upgrade the turbo or the compressor wheel?

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Man, I wish I had read your message a couple years ago.... My 2019 has about every aftermarket induction and exhaust mod out there including the turbo. I have a tune, well, like probably 9 of them, from a single company I won't name in an effort to avoid triggering @Frenchy.

//elbow to the rib

I have hit 500 HP on the PID output by the truck. Not sure how that translates to wheel HP and I don't really care. It is quick enough to give anyone a rush and fast enough to get in plenty of trouble.

The problem is that I ran out of things to do under the hood to satisfy my appetite for garage projects. So the suspension has been almost fully changed, I have an Xtrusion-Overland rack and KC M-rack on the roof with the Pro6 light bar, lots of jingle jangles, 33 inch tires, I have a set of Icon Tubular UCAs in the garage waiting to go on...

Sorry, I should have started... Hi, my name is Jim and I am addicted to truck modifications.
You can rally with it! Just don't lift it and have fun! I wish I could lower the rear but I'll have to make my own links. I just finished my mechanical design course today where we learned 4, 5, and 6 bar linkages along with other stuff. The whole time I was thinking of the ranger and how to apply the kinematics.

But seriously, you can't leave me hanging without knowing who did your tunes!?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Suspension is lifted a bit. 3 inches in the front and two in the back. Plus 1 1/2 inches from the tires.

I have five star tunes. I chose them because they worked with CR Performance on the turbo project. Now if I took the time to put my truck on a dyno, we could dial it in more. It I have down tuned it away from the highest power tune I have. I don’t need 500 hp from the crank all the time. Or whatever the hp is. I will tell you though, the truck is a lot of fun. The extra power is really nice climbing out of the steep hallows in the Driftless Area here where we live. It has been almost two years with the mods and no reliability issues.
A couple questions if I may ask? 0-60 times tested? Extra lag from bigger turbo? How many miles driven with all the mods?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I have done some times but not lately. And not in a reliable way. But I do it for fun, not ego. So it doesn’t really matter too much. I just turned 17k miles. So maybe 10-12k miles on the mods. Lag is not really noticeable. I drive pretty mellow. It when I hit it hard, I put it in sport mode and it keeps the revs up a bit higher. That keeps the system all charged up.
May I know those times in the past before all the overland weight? I use those sort of slight benchmarks or my own "baseline".

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
13.2 quarter if I remember right. But measured in an app not at a track.
Do you remember the 0-60 on the app by chance? Thank you for answering my questions. They really help me define if I want to spend the extra money to go the full turbo route, also are you on E85 tune and XDI HPFP with the larger turbo?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Don’t know the 0-60. I was running an e50 tune. No HPFP. I looked but I think that is like another $2k and I wasn’t interested in that yet. I am afraid if I do too much more I am going to break something. I still want it to be reliable in the bush. I have a few trips planned and reliability is a must.
You gave me much valuable information than you would ever know. E50 with no changed internals and no HPFP with plenty of miles and years. Hah, thanks. Might go back to my E30 mix.
Sponsored