Maximum Expected HP from tuning Ranger?

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Suspension is lifted a bit. 3 inches in the front and two in the back. Plus 1 1/2 inches from the tires.

I have five star tunes. I chose them because they worked with CR Performance on the turbo project. Now if I took the time to put my truck on a dyno, we could dial it in more. It I have down tuned it away from the highest power tune I have. I don’t need 500 hp from the crank all the time. Or whatever the hp is. I will tell you though, the truck is a lot of fun. The extra power is really nice climbing out of the steep hallows in the Driftless Area here where we live. It has been almost two years with the mods and no reliability issues.
Ahh so you kinda kept the stock rake a bit.

Sounds like fun, what the driftless area?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

benandluna

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ranger xlt 4x4
Occupation
Analytical scientist and biology teacher
There are a lot of folks on the Ecoboost Mustang forum that are making big HP with the 2.3, in excess of 500WHP. The issue with the 2.3s is the block becomes the limiting factor. About 400WHP is the limit where you can make reasonablely safe power with a stock block. After that and a bad tank of gas could cause detonation that scatters the block across the pavement. Big numbers requires a stronger block and rods.

The simple bolt ons; tune, exhaust, intake will get you to the high 200s maybe low 300s for WHP. Those numbers would put you around 350 HP at the crank. To go beyond that you need a tuner that you can work with; you data log and they revise the tune based on what the data logs say. That won't be the FP or Rouch tunes.
I haven’t been on here very long or owned my truck but I have had turbo cars for about 20 years. After the tune and down pipe If you want big power why not just upgrade to a larger turbo? Is that common here. My last car was a b58 m240i. Prior a n55. Is it uncommon to upgrade the turbos on these trucks ?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I haven’t been on here very long or owned my truck but I have had turbo cars for about 20 years. After the tune and down pipe If you want big power why not just upgrade to a larger turbo? Is that common here. My last car was a b58 m240i. Prior a n55. Is it uncommon to upgrade the turbos on these trucks ?
I think it is just a newer platform and people are happy with the current power on a tune. There are a few people who have went the CRP turbo and full bolt ons, they just are too busy enjoying their trucks to chime in. Seen it done a few times here and there. As you see devildog appeared out of nowhere with his amazing build. It is right that this truck can go to 400-550 hp quite easily with the bigger turbo and full bolts on + a tune. E85 tune giving largest numbers ofc. Saw 465whp somewhere IIRC. I don't know I am pretty happy with a sub 5 0-60, anymore power and I think I might get in trouble. Reason why I haven't hit a different tune other than FP.

benandluna

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ranger xlt 4x4
Occupation
Analytical scientist and biology teacher
I think it is just a newer platform and people are happy with the current power on a tune. There are a few people who have went the CRP turbo and full bolt ons, they just are too busy enjoying their trucks to chime in. Seen it done a few times here and there. As you see devildog appeared out of nowhere with his amazing build. It is right that this truck can go to 400-550 hp quite easily with the bigger turbo and full bolts on + a tune. E85 tune giving largest numbers ofc. Saw 465whp somewhere IIRC. I don't know I am pretty happy with a sub 5 0-60, anymore power and I think I might get in trouble. Reason why I haven't hit a different tune other than FP.
Got it. I definitely didn’t get the truck for racing. But do plan to grab the ford tune. It’s nice to zip past cars on the freeway and have the throttle response increased. Maybe someday I’ll get another sports car. So far I am loving this truck and it’s power. After test driving the Tacoma 4 and 6 cylinder I immediately grabbed my ranger. I love it.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Are you running sub 5s with the FP Tune?

my plan for today (it’s always changing) is to go with FP tune and then once truck is paid off maybe go with the crp turbo and supporting mods. However in the meantime would definitely be happy with FP tune at that 0-60 time

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Got it. I definitely didn’t get the truck for racing. But do plan to grab the ford tune. It’s nice to zip past cars on the freeway and have the throttle response increased. Maybe someday I’ll get another sports car. So far I am loving this truck and it’s power. After test driving the Tacoma 4 and 6 cylinder I immediately grabbed my ranger. I love it.
Enjoy the modding journey brother, it's a good one.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Are you running sub 5s with the FP Tune?

my plan for today (it’s always changing) is to go with FP tune and then once truck is paid off maybe go with the crp turbo and supporting mods. However in the meantime would definitely be happy with FP tune at that 0-60 time
Here is my journey. FP tune + Roush CAI + FP exhaust(Borla) = 5.3-6 second 0-60. Charge pipe kit + AFE air scoop(if this does anything it is marginal but does cool intake temps by 5-10 degrees) = 4.6 - 5.2 seconds. All the fastest times were on hankooks and bone dry stock weight/unsprung weight, could be faster on summer tires I am sure. If I toss on my Wildpeaks(extra 80 pounds of unsprung weight) and add 3-500 pounds(camping trips) to the truck weight it instantly goes to 6-6.5 seconds 0-60. I am sure if I actually tested brake boosted times I could hit 4.5 on E30 fuel mix. Just don't want to stress the truck out more than I already do. I am more than always treating it rough whether on-road or off-road. Oh, thought this might be useful too, I am at sea level almost. If you do all my mods and CRP turbo, I would imagine you would hit near 4 seconds, I have read you do get more boost lag but with an aftermarket intercooler it should be better.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Here is my journey. FP tune + Roush CAI + FP exhaust(Borla) = 5.3-6 second 0-60. Charge pipe kit + AFE air scoop(if this does anything it is marginal but does cool intake temps by 5-10 degrees) = 4.6 - 5.2 seconds. All the fastest times were on hankooks and bone dry stock weight/unsprung weight, could be faster on summer tires I am sure. If I toss on my Wildpeaks(extra 80 pounds of unsprung weight) and add 3-500 pounds(camping trips) to the truck weight it instantly goes to 6-6.5 seconds 0-60. I am sure if I actually tested brake boosted times I could hit 4.5 on E30 fuel mix. Just don't want to stress the truck out more than I already do. I am more than always treating it rough whether on-road or off-road. Oh, thought this might be useful too, I am at sea level almost. If you do all my mods and CRP turbo, I would imagine you would hit near 4 seconds, I have read you do get more boost lag but with an aftermarket intercooler it should be better.
Good info. Appreciate the input.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Suspension is lifted a bit. 3 inches in the front and two in the back. Plus 1 1/2 inches from the tires.

I have five star tunes. I chose them because they worked with CR Performance on the turbo project. Now if I took the time to put my truck on a dyno, we could dial it in more. It I have down tuned it away from the highest power tune I have. I don’t need 500 hp from the crank all the time. Or whatever the hp is. I will tell you though, the truck is a lot of fun. The extra power is really nice climbing out of the steep hallows in the Driftless Area here where we live. It has been almost two years with the mods and no reliability issues.
What did you do for 2in lift in the back? Shackles + blocks?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Oh hello good sir. Want to beat stock raptors, excite others and have more fun in general, while not being a wide tank on the streets and off-road (f150 raptor)?

Mishimoto charge pipes, exhaust and cai of your choice, and any tune(even FP), you will sweep the floor as long as you keep stock weight tires/wheels. You’re looking at $2500 to scratch your itch and have a crazy amount of fun being in the 4.6-5 second 0-60 range. Go unleashed or Livernois and you are easily touching 4.2-4.5 seconds 0-60 IMO. These turbos are no joke… funny to see the wide open mouth face and owl neck of many.
I do believe Brandon has it figured out....I'd like to second that emotion! I've had more than a few folks pull up next to me and want to know "what in the hell have you done to that Ranger?" Remember, were talking a few bolt ons and a tune mind you.....lol :sunglasses:
BTW.....Livernois is the way people....Anthony knows his shit!!!

Also, my favorite power trick is rolling along at 25 with the traffic and stomping the pedal for a sec.....pop that rear end sideways and people become believers quickly....lol...;)

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I do believe Brandon has it figured out....I'd like to second that emotion! I've had more than a few folks pull up next to me and want to know "what in the hell have you done to that Ranger?" Remember, were talking a few bolt ons and a tune mind you.....lol :sunglasses:
BTW.....Livernois is the way people....Anthony knows his shit!!!

Also, my favorite power trick is rolling along at 25 with the traffic and stomping the pedal for a sec.....pop that rear end sideways and people become believers quickly....lol...;)
Too much time and too much fake scientist data measurements :p Yup, second that I had a few stock ranger owners ask me what I have done to the truck. Nothing too wild just a few things :p

Hmm, you are putting naughty ideas in my mind, Mark :idea:

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Too much time and too much fake scientist data measurements :p Yup, second that I had a few stock ranger owners ask me what I have done to the truck. Nothing too wild just a few things :p

Hmm, you are putting naughty ideas in my mind, Mark :idea:
Well don't let me do that. The other side to my quick Ranger story is "too many tickets".
I would laugh but its really not funny. USAA insurance is great until you get a few speeding tickets then it's no bueno... :rockon:
I'll be paying an increased rate for the next 3 years.
Moral of the story.....I'm going away from the speed side and will pursue the more beefy look, off-road side from here on out. Don't get me wrong...I still hit the pedal now and again, but I must be way careful...;)

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Well don't let me do that. The other side to my quick Ranger story is "too many tickets".
I would laugh but its really not funny. USAA insurance is great until you get a few speeding tickets then it's no bueno... :rockon:
I'll be paying an increased rate for the next 3 years.
Moral of the story.....I'm going away from the speed side and will pursue the more beefy look, off-road side from here on out. Don't get me wrong...I still hit the pedal now and again, but I must be way careful...;)
I hear you on that. The turbo tends to be too much fun hehe. Can't wait to see your beefed up off-road look and the destinations you will go :)

OP
OP

SuperSteve

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Cyber Security Engineer
Just a quick update on what I've decided to do on this. After I get my new wheels mounted and my rubbing issues with these 33's sorted I think I'm going to go ahead with Unleashed tuning and some dyno time local here. Unleashed said they would remote tune on the dyno so I'm pumped about that. For mods supporting I believe I'm going with an aFe intake, mbrp catback, and an AfE downpipe. Maybe mid next year I'll throw that CRP turbo upgrade on for some laughs. Shooting for maybe 320whp if I can safely get it. If not then I guess I'll settle on what is safe and just have a good looking truck that still gets smoked by my dads raptor lol. If we had e30 local I'd probably run that, but my side of PA barely has it available.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
Sponsored