puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
My sync version is at 3.3.

am I missing anything good in past updates.
I am pretty sure the ambient lighting is a little brighter since the last time I updated SYNC. HTH?
Sponsored

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

Silver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 73 Bronco
Occupation
Retired Navy Officer
Well, my whole head unit is getting a complete update Thursday by complete replacement - current unit will not log onto my wifi system at the house, GPS can wonder off track, allot, and the entertainment element likes to pick its own source at start up often picking am, which is never something we use. Only too 3 weeks to get the replacement in - shazam!

TheWeaver

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Field Engineer
I do not have remote start and stop, only remote lock/unlock. I thought that was due to the model (Ranger Raptor 2019) not supporting it, but then I saw my friend with the same car HAS remote start and stop on his. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it? I have Ford Pass pro v 1.20.6 and i updated the SYNC with USB in september 2021.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Is there any reason to update if everything is working to your satisfaction? Last time I updated I found I could no longer scroll through songs without a "safety break".
The latest version of Sync does allow you to scroll through the Recently Played playlists on CarPlay.

It bugged me to no end when an update removed that functionality and grayed out the playlists if the vehicle was moving. Stupid decision.

It was like that for several versions and then the capability came back with the latest release.

I'll probably never update mine again before I can confirm that this "Safety" feature hasn't been re-implemented.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Looks like the latest version is still 3.4.21265 released in mid October. They were pushing updates pretty regularly but now that Sync 4 is out likely not going to see much more in the way of updates for 3.4... :confused:
Sync4 uses different hardware. Sync3 systems can't be updated with Sync4 software. Ford, like many other telematics providers, uses AT&T for 2-way communication. AT&T will discontinue 3G comm. network support this year, so Sync 3&4 are getting firmware updates. I had to get a new module for my 2009 Mariner in which I have a Dronemobile app start. The Sync (0?) in that car was never designed for two-way telemetry.
Remote start (key fob) is not affected.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
My sync version is at 3.3.

am I missing anything good in past updates.
  • There have been some security updates.
  • My iPhone and my wife's iPhone seem to be recognized faster.
  • The 8" display in mine can now be set to dim a bit darker at night, and seems to be a little less sensitive going through tunnels.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
AT&T will discontinue 3G comm. network support this year, so Sync 3&4 are getting firmware updates
sync 3 already has 4G/LTE (at least the one the ranger does; maybe not older ones). if it didn't, a firmware update wouldn't help.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
The latest version of Sync does allow you to scroll through the Recently Played playlists on CarPlay.

It bugged me to no end when an update removed that functionality and grayed out the playlists if the vehicle was moving. Stupid decision.

It was like that for several versions and then the capability came back with the latest release.

I'll probably never update mine again before I can confirm that this "Safety" feature hasn't been re-implemented.
Oh if that's the case I might update to get rid of it. Mine isn't greyed out, I can scroll songs/artists but after a second it makes me wait 3 seconds with a progress bar filling up. Is that what you had on the previous version?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Oh if that's the case I might update to get rid of it. Mine isn't greyed out, I can scroll songs/artists but after a second it makes me wait 3 seconds with a progress bar filling up. Is that what you had on the previous version?
The previous version had all CarPlay playlists grayed out and you scrolled to the bottom of the list where it said "Use Siri"

Now it lets you access the most recent playlists, a list of about 8 or so, so what I want to listen to is almost always available.

Are you playing from an iPhone or a USB?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
The previous version had all CarPlay playlists grayed out and you scrolled to the bottom of the list where it said "Use Siri"

Now it lets you access the most recent playlists, a list of about 8 or so, so what I want to listen to is almost always available.

Are you playing from an iPhone or a USB?
Android phone

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I use a USB with a combination of FLAC and MP3 in folders. It works good, except if you turn off the truck while listening to USB it doesn't restart some of the time. That's the only real issue with it. It's been suggested to turn the stereo off before turning the truck off, then let the truck get going a while before turning it back on. I haven't remembered to try that yet.

Playing random, by artist, by album, etc. all work great.

Mine's formatted NTFS. A lot of people say FAT32 works better. Neither have solved the restart issue for me.

The folder structure isn't important, but having proper id3 tags is critical. The system uses the tags to put together albums, etc.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Anybody remember how many turns to back out the idle mixture screws on a Holley 2bbl? is it 1/2 or 1 1/2?
Sponsored