Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Occupation
Sales
Hello All,

I recently sold my Outback and looking at getting a Ranger or Frontier. Obviously I'm on a forum that supports the Ranger :) however, I really want to know the good and bad from people who drive them daily.

I've driven a Tremor and I liked it however in spending countless hours researching I hearing a number of common "issues" like funny transmission behavior and squeaky interiors due to quality control.

What your true experiences please?

PS, I am asking the same on Nissan forums as well. Just trying to make the best choice in this crazy "no deals" environment.

PSS, I tried the Tacoma since I had a 2006 and loved it. It sucked as far as seating position and ride. I'm 6'3" and I felt like I was on the ceiling... Not a fan of the Colorado based on looks.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
No funny tranny issues with me.

Only issue I had was the shocks needed to be upgraded on the Fx4, which is a common complaint.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Hello All,

I recently sold my Outback and looking at getting a Ranger or Frontier. Obviously I'm on a forum that supports the Ranger :) however, I really want to know the good and bad from people who drive them daily.

I've driven a Tremor and I liked it however in spending countless hours researching I hearing a number of common "issues" like funny transmission behavior and squeaky interiors due to quality control.

PS, I am asking the same on Nissan forums as well. Just trying to make the best choice in this crazy "no deals" environment.

PSS, I tried the Tacoma since I had a 2006 and loved it. It sucked as far as seating position and ride. I'm 6'3" and I felt like I was on the ceiling... Not a fan of the Colorado based on looks.

Thanks!

I have a new 21' with about 2.5k miles and it has been trouble free. I'll say I looked at the Frontier and found the style outside and inside to be awful unless you move up to the Pro version. I found the Ranger STX doesn't look as cheap as its price would suggest.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I sold my 2012 Frontier when I bought this Ranger. I loved that Nissan and we had some glorious times, but this Ranger (w/Tremor package) is superior in every way except interior storage. I understand the new Frontier is quite a bit different, but it wasn’t really in the running for me. I have not experienced any transmission issues or squeaky interior problems. My only complaints are minor creature comfort issues and storage concerns, but I’ve adapted.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
My wife and I have/had several Subarus. We currently have a '21 Crosstrek and '16 Forester XT, in addition to our '21 Ranger. I can go on for hours on your topic, but will keep it short :)

The Ranger is probably the best mid-sized truck, especially when you consider the power the turbo has. If you frequent mountains or high elevation, a turbo is very useful. My gas millage is great too (20-24 city/hwy).

I have found that Subaru quality is better. Keep in mind all my Subarus were manufactured in Japan. The US assembled models could be more on trend with Ford. I like my Ranger a lot, but there are quality/workmanship issues that are not up to the standard of Japanese manufactured vehicles. I knew that prior to purchase and have been ok. FWIW, the Nissan is manufactured in the US also, so probably similar to the Ford.

I have not had any serious issues with my Ranger. I have full trust in it on long roads tips. It actually makes a very comfy road trip vehicle.

There were items I 'fixed' that otherwise, IMHO, make the Ranger much worse than it truly is:
1) The rear suspension is way to bouncy. I replaced the rear shocks. Anyone with minor mechanical skills can do this for $300 or less.
2) The artificial engine noise inside the cabin irritated me to no end. I disabled this with Forscan.

Here are the quality/workmanship issues I have noticed (that I can remember at the moment):
* Body trim panels don't all fit as nice and even as Japanese vehicles
* Leather interior is poor quality, it stretches out after break in and looks somewhat saggy. Unfortunately, our Crosstrek is doing this too, where the older Subarus did not. Maybe all manufactures have downgraded their 'leather'?
* Brake pedal squeaked. I sprayed lube on the pivot 9 months ago and no more issues.
* Ten speed transmission can be 'clunky' occasionally, but most of the time is very smooth.

Please feel free to PM with specific questions.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I have an Unicorn Ranger...84K miles and zero issues...and it's far from stock... ?

OP
OP

BillyT

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Occupation
Sales
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I was just reading the thread on axel issues. What the heck is going on there? I love the power of the ranger... Power Ranger! hahah, you all are probably too young to remember that show. :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I cant speak for the Tremor but my Lariat has been trouble free for 28 months. Granted I don't have as many miles as Sid @Msfitoy (no one does) but it's one of the best trucks I've ever owned. I think the tranny issues you're hearing about is more than likely a couple things. 1- they do tend to lug and some just lock out the higher gears or drive in S mode around town and 2- it does go through a "learning" period of your driving style.

Some of the other "issues" are not widespread ones and are mostly just a few here and there. Like most things in this crazy world today QC just isn't that great in most industries. :sadface:

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I moved from a 2012 Forester XT (4speed) to the 2019 Ranger Lariat and my wife still has a 2014 3.6 Outback(5 speed). The Outback felt way more solid than the Forester and I have to say the Ranger feels more solid than the Outback.

The complaint of the boaty feel in the Ranger to me is not much worse than the same movement in the Outback on the same roads. Dialing in the air pressure in the tires makes a difference in the Ranger. As far as squeaks I may get a slight dash rattle when in 4WD on a bumpy, snowy road otherwise no issues.

I don't have what some describe as mushy brakes, mine are fine. I think this may be based on the vehicle you are coming from.

The 10 speed tranny does take a bit of getting used to but after getting a Livernois tune the shifting is barely noticeable unless you are really getting on it, then it shifts hard but that doesn't bother me.

Best truck I've had. About 20k miles.

OP
OP

BillyT

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Occupation
Sales
Great! Have you seen the axel issues that some are reporting? If so, is it just QA issues I assume?

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
Great! Have you seen the axel issues that some are reporting? If so, is it just QA issues I assume?
I know the “axle issue” was mostly a shutter at take off from a stop on 2019’s. That issue was fixed (if present) by a tsb from Ford. My 2020 is a year old and at 8k miles and has been absolutely flawless. I’m tuned, leveling kit and 33’s and have towed with it, road tripped it, been to offroad parks, drag strip and even gone on some storm chasing trips. Every manufacturer has its QC issues, but the Ranger as a whole is a home run vehicle. They are one of the most sought after vehicles on the market. Even used they fly off dealership lots. There is a reason!

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I think there are axle issue threads on here somewhere. I concur with what most have said so far. The truck feels solid to me, especially after upgrading the shocks all around. Keep in mind that if you test drive one, you may not like the road feel or bounciness. But that can be remedied without breaking the bank. I absolutely love the way mine rides and handles now. No rattles or squeaks. I have hauled several serious loads of firewood easily. Probably my absolute best new vehicle purchase.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hello All,

Thanks!
So between Frontier to Ranger I can tell you that the Ranger is at the top. Ranger gets better MPG has a better payload and towing capacity and has better offroad capabilities compared to all the competition. My suggestion go with the Ranger. Also no need to buy a Tremor package!! I feel its a waist.
Sponsored