Looking for a new Truck

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Hello All,

I recently sold my Outback and looking at getting a Ranger or Frontier. Obviously I'm on a forum that supports the Ranger :) however, I really want to know the good and bad from people who drive them daily.

I've driven a Tremor and I liked it however in spending countless hours researching I hearing a number of common "issues" like funny transmission behavior and squeaky interiors due to quality control.

What your true experiences please?

PS, I am asking the same on Nissan forums as well. Just trying to make the best choice in this crazy "no deals" environment.

PSS, I tried the Tacoma since I had a 2006 and loved it. It sucked as far as seating position and ride. I'm 6'3" and I felt like I was on the ceiling... Not a fan of the Colorado based on looks.

Thanks!
It would be impossible to address all the subjective issues that you and others may have.

Subjectively...
I find the the Ranger to be the most comfortable, the most capable and the most satisfying truck I have had the pleasure to drive. It instills great confidence in its driveability and reliability in all conditions, and does so without question or even a nervous moment.
So much for the subjective.

Now for the Objective...

My Ranger was delivered as designed without any flaws which required dealer attention.
It is now approaching three years in daily service.
It has never once failed to perform as designed or required any unscheduled attention.
It starts every time at the touch of the key and performs as new with each use.
It delivers the power as promised along with the fuel efficiency as promised, with absolute consistency.
There has been no visible wear on any part of this truck,physically or cosmetically.
It handles towing and hauling chores absolutely as promised.
I have not needed to add fluids of any kind between scheduled service.
Not a drop of oil, not a drop of coolant, not even air in the tires.
In fact even the windshield washer fluid has adequate capacity to last between servicing.
I have made two annual trips to Florida with my travel trailer without opening the hood on either round trip.
The truck has never even threatened to make me walk.

Back to subjective...
While nothing built by the hands of man has met every standard of perfection, this is the best you are likely to find on this planet at this time.

Yes, I have been accused of being a "Fanboy" but I won't respond to such epithets by fabricating non-existent flaws.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Foodieguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat (El Trucke)
Occupation
IT Guy and Former International Athlete
I just checked the website, no Rangers... Is that the price to order?
Yep, they offer the 3% below invoice on orders, not dealer stock. Shoot them an email, they give you a quote with your price. Once you place the order you can change up until you get a VIN. The one sticking point for some folks is they require a $1000 non refundable deposit when you place the order, so you better be sure about wanting the truck.

That said, I placed my order and have a build date in JAN. I read enough about them in this and other Ford forums to know that it’s legit, its a business model to drive volume sales.

Foodieguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat (El Trucke)
Occupation
IT Guy and Former International Athlete

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

I recently sold my Outback and looking at getting a Ranger or Frontier. Obviously I'm on a forum that supports the Ranger :) however, I really want to know the good and bad from people who drive them daily.

I've driven a Tremor and I liked it however in spending countless hours researching I hearing a number of common "issues" like funny transmission behavior and squeaky interiors due to quality control.

What your true experiences please?

PS, I am asking the same on Nissan forums as well. Just trying to make the best choice in this crazy "no deals" environment.

PSS, I tried the Tacoma since I had a 2006 and loved it. It sucked as far as seating position and ride. I'm 6'3" and I felt like I was on the ceiling... Not a fan of the Colorado based on looks.

Thanks!
I am also six-three, and I find the Ranger is a comfortable ride, meaning my head does not hit the ceiling, and my legs have plenty of room at the other end. I have had no problems with the interior quality, and all the tech and music features have worked great for me. There was nothing wrong with the transmission, though it did lag sometimes when driving on hills, and so I got a Ford Performance tune, which has made it sharper. This was not a mechanical issue but rather a driving preference on my part. The only issue that I had with the truck was the FX4 suspension, which in my experience was too bouncy on turns or stops and rough going over bumps. I got an aftermarket leveling kit (again, from Ford Performance), and that improved things immensely. Again, this is not a mechanical failure of the suspension but rather my driving preferences; most members either do not mind the suspension or actually like it. I have had no experience driving a Tremor, but some of the guys who bought Tremors have said that the upgraded suspension on them rides great, none of the roughness or bouncing of the stock FX4. So, to sum up, after c. 20,000 trouble-free miles, with not a single mechanical misfunction of any kind, I love my Ranger Lariat FX4--but you have to make up your own mind depending on what you want from a truck! Happy trails!

Last edited:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hummm... Iowa is not a short drive from Oregon but it might be a one-way ticket situation..
Welcome Todd. My Ranger has been great with 6500 trouble free miles. The 10sp is a different animal with so many gears, but it does the job as intended. I have two 10sps in my driveway, an '18 Mustang, and my '20 Ranger. No problems from either.

As Dave @AzScorpion said, there's no better deal to be had than the one at Granger. I've ordered my Bronco from @Zach@granger, and seriously thinking of changing from my now Super Cab Ranger to a Crew Cab Ranger. I will order the Ranger from Granger also. It's an 1100 mile trip for me, but I will gladly drive that distance to get a straight up deal with no surprises like some dealers have. Good luck on your decision, however if you get a chance to test drive a Ranger it will be an easy decision I assure you.

BTW, if you've never driven through the Badlands, or seen how beautiful that part of our great country is you will be glad you took that trip. Our plans are to drive to Granger in Iowa from North Carolina, pick up our new ride, and continue onward west before returning home. We've been to that area of the U.S. several times, and never tire of it's beauty.

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
The Frontier is the ugliest midsize out there. Looks like a kid doodling in class designed it. No clean lines, all disjointed. It has a new V6... big woop. The Ranger is turbo charged. The 2.3 Ecoboost has a nice fat powerband with tons of torque everywhere and the potential for more power/torque with minor bolt-ons is far superior.

APmech

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
A&P
Although my post is negative, for the most part I like 2021 Ranger and didn't even consider the Nissan when I bought it. Love the power output from that little 2.3. Even though mine is just a 4x4 Sport pkg, the ride is pretty good. I use the adaptive cruise quite a bit, has comfy seats and the sound sys is good enough for me. As I drove it for the first few days I discovered a few things.
Here's my list:

1) Shudder on takeoff (checked my pinion angle per the sb and was within limits... ) I think the leaf springs allow the axle to twist too much on takeoff. Still a problem on 21 models.
2) Mushy brakes (feel like they were not bled properly or never bled)
3) Driveshaft slip joint binding (going to lube it soon) thumps on accel and decel.
4) Driver's side wiper blade was hitting the pillar (Had the dealer adjust it, but they wouldn't adjust the pass side...lol, which is miss-adjusted as well)
5) Vibrates (still haven't checked my wheel/tire balance, hopefully it's that simple.)
6) 10 Speed trans skips shifts/doesn't shift smoothly. Dealer told me it would learn and take time to smooth out. Never happened... As a workaround I drive in tow/haul mode. A tune might be in my future.

Ford's build quality has gone downhill. I can fix most of it myself, but shouldn't have to. I bet the Nissan will be better build quality out the door, but you never know... I'm not sure how reliable or tough it will be compared to the Ranger.

OP
OP

BillyT

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Occupation
Sales
You make great points, I drove the Gladiator yesterday. Feels very well build and shifts perfectly. I am just not a fan of the looks...

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
All I would say is drive a lot of Rangers if that’s your #1 pick. Look for the quirks others have already commented on and find one that doesn’t have’em.

Personally I’d buy another Ranger, the size and power is plenty for me.
Future truck might be a large SUV like a Navigator. For now I still need/want a truck bed.

benandluna

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ranger xlt 4x4
Occupation
Analytical scientist and biology teacher
My wife and I have/had several Subarus. We currently have a '21 Crosstrek and '16 Forester XT, in addition to our '21 Ranger. I can go on for hours on your topic, but will keep it short :)

The Ranger is probably the best mid-sized truck, especially when you consider the power the turbo has. If you frequent mountains or high elevation, a turbo is very useful. My gas millage is great too (20-24 city/hwy).

I have found that Subaru quality is better. Keep in mind all my Subarus were manufactured in Japan. The US assembled models could be more on trend with Ford. I like my Ranger a lot, but there are quality/workmanship issues that are not up to the standard of Japanese manufactured vehicles. I knew that prior to purchase and have been ok. FWIW, the Nissan is manufactured in the US also, so probably similar to the Ford.

I have not had any serious issues with my Ranger. I have full trust in it on long roads tips. It actually makes a very comfy road trip vehicle.

There were items I 'fixed' that otherwise, IMHO, make the Ranger much worse than it truly is:
1) The rear suspension is way to bouncy. I replaced the rear shocks. Anyone with minor mechanical skills can do this for $300 or less.
2) The artificial engine noise inside the cabin irritated me to no end. I disabled this with Forscan.

Here are the quality/workmanship issues I have noticed (that I can remember at the moment):
* Body trim panels don't all fit as nice and even as Japanese vehicles
* Leather interior is poor quality, it stretches out after break in and looks somewhat saggy. Unfortunately, our Crosstrek is doing this too, where the older Subarus did not. Maybe all manufactures have downgraded their 'leather'?
* Brake pedal squeaked. I sprayed lube on the pivot 9 months ago and no more issues.
* Ten speed transmission can be 'clunky' occasionally, but most of the time is very smooth.

Please feel free to PM with specific questions.
Wait. There is artificial engine noise ? I have to disable this this

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
So between Frontier to Ranger I can tell you that the Ranger is at the top. Ranger gets better MPG has a better payload and towing capacity and has better offroad capabilities compared to all the competition. My suggestion go with the Ranger. Also no need to buy a Tremor package!! I feel its a waist.
I 2nd that opinion...Own and still drive 09 Frontier. Also test drove the 22 Frontier for possible trade in. The frontier has been reliable and feels more planted while maneuvering around however; Ranger makes for a more satisfying drive IMO
Sponsored