Let my Ranger sit for a month...

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Well, a 1 week trip wound up turning into a 4.5 week trip and my Ranger sat all alone in the driveway the entire time. Got home today and took her for a spin and did a quick look over and I've got 2 "issues:"

1. The interior smells super weird, I'm guessing due to mold/bacteria from the AC or something (I didn't leave anything in it that would cause a bad smell and no indications that anything got inside. Anyone have this issue before (not unique to Rangers) and thoughts on best way to solve if it doesn't go away on its own in the next few days?

2. Looks like a squirrel had a feast in my engine bay chilling on my battery...

IMG_4759.jpg

Other than the "mess" I didn't notice any other signs of issues, no wires chewed or anything, but looking for some input on things to check closer or look out for here to ensure everything is fine. Any thoughts? Also how would you clean that out, hose, just wipe it out, something else?

Thanks and I promise this will never happen again! For what it's worth too, I wound up driving a new Bronco too for most of the month I was away -- I like the Ranger better in every single aspect.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Well, a 1 week trip wound up turning into a 4.5 week trip and my Ranger sat all alone in the driveway the entire time. Got home today and took her for a spin and did a quick look over and I've got 2 "issues:"

1. The interior smells super weird, I'm guessing due to mold/bacteria from the AC or something (I didn't leave anything in it that would cause a bad smell and no indications that anything got inside. Anyone have this issue before (not unique to Rangers) and thoughts on best way to solve if it doesn't go away on its own in the next few days?

IMG_4759.jpg

Other than the "mess" I didn't notice any other signs of issues, no wires chewed or anything, but looking for some input on things to check closer or look out for here to ensure everything is fine. Any thoughts? Also how would you clean that out, hose, just wipe it out, something else?

Thanks and I promise this will never happen again! For what it's worth too, I wound up driving a new Bronco too for most of the month I was away -- I like the Ranger better in every single aspect.
Any rodent mess should be handled with care - hantavirus is the first thing that comes to mind. I’m a freak - I vacuumed my rodent mess at the local car wash. Didn’t want that blowing around my garage the next time I used my shop vac.

Looks like he stole your engine cover. 😳

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
A product like Odoban could work. I use that stuff for lots of reasons. Rarely in the Ranger but mixed properly, it makes a good odor eliminator there too.

OP
OP
tremorman

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check your cabin filter for signs of rodent infestation.
Good call. Had a few cabin filters lying around anyways so just swapped it out with a fresh new one. The old one was similar to what was around the battery -- acorns/debris:

IMG_4762.jpg
IMG_4767.jpg

Looked around at wires there too and no noticeable damage. Wonder if all that shit could be contributing to the smell...

So with that being what I found, no nests, etc. is there more that you'd do here? Or will it solve itself as it now becomes a daily driver again?

Have never in my life before now let a vehicle sit like this and have never dealt with this type of issue/infestation. So anyone who can help with next steps, I very much appreciate it.

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
If you need to leave the Ranger for an extended period ever again you may want to try mothballs in the engine bay strategically placed, even a couple on top of each tire and in open containers on the ground under your truck, not sure if this would work just thinking as i read your post,
it's a cheap try creating a 'aroma shield'.:crackup:

OP
OP
tremorman

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drove it this morning and just swapping out the cabin filter seems to have solved the smell issue for now. Now to try to keep the squirrels/chipmunks out of the engine bay... Welcome any suggestions

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

IMG_4759.jpg

Did the squirrel get a charge ⚡ out of that? :LOL:

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase
To clear moldy smell and kill bacteria I turned the truck on, put ac on max with recirculate and sprayed Lysol near the intake on passenger side floorboard. Worked like a champ ran about a quarter can through.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Drove it this morning and just swapping out the cabin filter seems to have solved the smell issue for now. Now to try to keep the squirrels/chipmunks out of the engine bay... Welcome any suggestions
Ugh, sorry to hear about this and glad the wires are good. A squirrel or chipmunk likes my battery blanket too.

It looks like that might have slowed down, for me, a bit using anti-rodent sprays.

I use a peppermint spray and add more peppermint oil to it. I also use Granpa Gus packets.

I have some cayenne extract but have not used it yet.

I can't definitively say it does anything. They ate through two wires of my battery tender before I did all this and have yet to munch on any more.

I spray every 6 to 8 weeks and it sure makes Soupie smell pretty. =p

I plan on doing the hardware cloth mod to the air cabin filter intakes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HYP6D5C

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L236OMW

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08GS7L34B

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007DGNC4

Strapper

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 5'
Occupation
Retired

IMG_4759.jpg

I'd bet it's nice and it could have happened the day you left. You just never know when they will venture inside. There are posts regarding using mesh to keep them out. The smell would likely be the urine.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
damn rodents... i wonder if chicken wire over the intake and any hidey holes would work
Sponsored