First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT, 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Railroad Conductor
That's good to know if they put the same armrest in as when the truck was built.
Sponsored

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Mine was to the point where the whole front of my armrest was undone. Warranty approval was no problem but I was warned by the dealer that it has been on backorder for a while now. I ended up recovering mine myself. When I took it apart the only section that actually had staples was the backside. Everywhere else had indentations in the vinyl & the plastic but no staples....no ripping & no broken staples. Very bad quality control!
User79, does the top just snap off the bottom? I'm thinking of a complete redesign (new shape and thicker padding) and want to use the factory hinge. I'm hoping I can just snap upholstered part off and unscrew the hinge, then screw my new base/top in place of the factory lid.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
User79, does the top just snap off the bottom? I'm thinking of a complete redesign (new shape and thicker padding) and want to use the factory hinge. I'm hoping I can just snap upholstered part off and unscrew the hinge, then screw my new base/top in place of the factory lid.
The bottom does snap off....1 or 2 clips in the front, 2 in the back & 2 or 3 on each side. It was a pain to get detached but It might be possible to do in the truck, especially if you don't intend to use it again.

It might be easier if you remove the lid & hinge completely. Pull off the back panel on the console, remove the 4 bolts that mount the hinge, then pull back the trim around the hinge.

Crismac

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Railroad Conductor
OK at the dealership now they had to pull out the entire center consul to remove the lid of the armrest.The two screws to remove that are at the bottom. Here’s the pic of the mechanic showing me where the screws were to remove the lid. The new lid is different from the factory doesn’t look like this will peel back.....

DF000C74-3F76-4BAB-88C3-092AD003B0E5.jpeg

Last edited:

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Can you post pics of the new design or whats different?

Pure curiousity.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
That's good to know if they put the same armrest in as when the truck was built.

It'll be a similar design. As for the quality of build, that would all depend on if Ford has had the supplier of this part fix the issues in the build process or not.

But based on them having to pull the center console out, it's likely that Ford went with a different vendor.

Crismac

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Railroad Conductor
Here’s the before and after. The lid I got from the factory had a sharp point on the tip of the lid. This one does not have.

B358BAE2-33CF-4DAE-A70C-3DF60AEAF6EA.jpeg

2300AC6D-CA0C-4390-A703-93657A7C675A.jpeg

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I noticed that they are using different arm rests in the XLT and the Lariat. The Lariat has stitching down the top of it, so I wonder if it's assembled differently.

20201001_122141_HDR_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I went to the dealership today for a CEL (don't even get me started on that) and the said this was not covered under the warranty. It's ridiculous.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I have various leather ( fake leather) coming apart in my 2019 XLT. I only have 27k on it. Would warranty do anything about this? Note: my truck was one of the first off the line, as ordered in Sept. '18 and received in Feb. of '19

Center console lid.

20200920_171434.jpg

Parking brake boot.

20200920_171419.jpg
Yup my armrest was starting to do that, its pleather [vinyl] and its trash. as I posted in another thread the cushioning is way-thin. I took mine to a local auto upholstery shop and they doubled the cushion and did it in black leather with stich work to match the seats.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
OK at the dealership now they had to pull out the entire center consul to remove the lid of the armrest.The two screws to remove that are at the bottom. Here’s the pic of the mechanic showing me where the screws were to remove the lid. The new lid is different from the factory doesn’t look like this will peel back.....

DF000C74-3F76-4BAB-88C3-092AD003B0E5.jpeg
There is a way to pull the lid w/o doing all this work, my local upholstery shop does work for all the area dealerships, bodyshops & custom to walk-in's. He's been doing all my heated seat work for years as well as re-contouring/adding stuffing to seats to accommodate my back issues. It took him about 20 min and a few special tools to pull it off to recover. I was able to take the truck and come back the next day to put it on. I did not watch him but he said it was the 1st ranger he's done and putting it back on only took 10 min and the next one he'd be able to do it quicker...

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
1601388555279.png

Not to bad when warranty is done. Out of curiosity.
Do you know which part number is for the Lariat stiching version? I want to upgrade my XLT, since it too is peeling. I assume it's the ebony/ash version?

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Do you know which part number is for the Lariat stiching version? I want to upgrade my XLT, since it too is peeling. I assume it's the ebony/ash version?
I dont know, hope fully someone else can chime in. I thought there was only 2 different colors: ebony and stone. Not too sure what the ebony/ash is

Crismac

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Railroad Conductor
Well it sounds like the guy at the dealership didn't know what he was doing, oh well at least it is fixed
Sponsored