Interior Rattle Identified

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It's not that still haven't found it.
Hi Doc,

Might this be the old defroster duct that was not fully seated which has been discussed in other threads? My first guess....

Best
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Related to engine speed? You sure its not the standard DI ranger buzz? Its a buzzing noise kind of like a bee, is the best way I can explain it.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hi Doc,

Might this be the old defroster duct that was not fully seated which has been discussed in other threads? My first guess....

Best
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
yup that’s what it was !
Regards
Doc

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hi Ed,

Yeah...the past Ranger suffered this annoyance as well. When I inherited Ranger Vehicle Engineering, I started looking at Customer Complaints and decided to start a program to chip away at the ones that were systemic. Things such as skate/dart due to the motion ratio of the rear suspension with inboard shocks for example. Another one was the over the shoulder seat belts chaffing on the driver and front passenger's neck. This resulted in tweaking the mounting and having engineers, administrators, Secretaries evaluate the belts. We had seating bucks that were prior to proposed revision and those that were revised. The data showed the revisions would improve the belting. The downside was what you experience and we experienced with the belts with respect to this rattle on the prior generation of Ranger too. Life is sometimes tough and I made the trade off decision to revise the belts for comfort when belted in vs the rattle. What I found is most customers would figure this out. Was it my finest decision...no but I still feel I made the right call. My wife told me early on in our ownership of my 2007 Ranger that the belts were the best she had for her 5' 2" height. It is in my opinion to be customer focused. We had a narrow window of opportunity due to the fact the Ranger was already in production, but it shows this can be done. After the change about a year later, Seat belts were not on the top 10 anymore... Did I get a back pat for this...Nope...but my satisfaction was in the customer complaint reduction to being a non issue. Seat belt rattle...yep...bubbled up into the top 10, but I took that arrow and the customer won in my opinion.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
@P. A. Schilke , Phil, my vertically challenged wife thanks you for that. In some of my previously owned older cars that was one of her main complaints. I heard "I hate this seat belt, it's right on my neck" to many times to count. So not to worry, she would go to the mat fighting, and saying you made the right decision. :)

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Does anyone have the rattle/buzz from the defroster vent plastic piece?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have the rattle/buzz from the defroster vent plastic piece?
Hi Trevor,

There are threads on this topic with solutions....just search for defroster duct rattle.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored