Interior light stays on

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
I'm having this issue too. One of the two map lights stays on after starting. Clicking the button off and then back on turns it off.

For those of you who had...can you please confirm it required a new PCM and programming to fix or was there anything else required?

Thanks!
Sponsored

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
My Ranger is having the same issue. The dome lights stays on I have to mannualy turn it off.

KN-CT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang, Dodge Durango, Jaguar XK
Occupation
VP Sales & Marketing
I have the exact same issue. Waiting in my 2 week old Ranger XLT now waiting for the Ford service provider to come and jump start it. My son went out last night to grab his jacket out of the back seat. All the doors were closed when I came out this morning and the map lights were on. Switch was in the flat or neutral position.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I have the exact same issue. Waiting in my 2 week old Ranger XLT now waiting for the Ford service provider to come and jump start it. My son went out last night to grab his jacket out of the back seat. All the doors were closed when I came out this morning and the map lights were on. Switch was in the flat or neutral position.
Same issue a year ago w/my new Ranger. I went back to the dealer about this and a few other questions. He toggled the switch and they stayed off. ....don't remember his magic but they've worked perfect since.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Same issue a year ago w/my new Ranger. I went back to the dealer about this and a few other questions. He toggled the switch and they stayed off. ....don't remember his magic but they've worked perfect since.
If they are like the Escape and some other Ford products, you can turn the map lights on & off by pushing on them independent of the dash switch.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they are like the Escape and some other Ford products, you can turn the map lights on & off by pushing on them independent of the dash switch.
I think they are, and what happened w/me. Somewhere along the line I got confused on which switch was controlling the lamps.

KN-CT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang, Dodge Durango, Jaguar XK
Occupation
VP Sales & Marketing
Ford sent out one of their Roadside Assistance service providers and they jump started the vehicle with the first turn of the key. Cost me $0 for that service, so thank you Ford! After they left I played with the map light and toggled the switch a few times, turned the truck on and off to check it. Drove it all day and it seems to be fine.

However, I also learned that my teenage son went out the previous night to grab his jacket. So... I'm willing to give Ford the benefit of the doubt on this one. All bets are off when teenage kids are involved. It still seems a bit strange that the map lights would stay on indefinitely if the door wasn't shut properly and draw enough power to drain the battery.

Anyway, taking it in on Monday so the Service Department can take a look. With less than 500 miles on the truck you don't expect a dead battery when you go out to start it.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford sent out one of their Roadside Assistance service providers and they jump started the vehicle with the first turn of the key. Cost me $0 for that service, so thank you Ford! After they left I played with the map light and toggled the switch a few times, turned the truck on and off to check it. Drove it all day and it seems to be fine.

However, I also learned that my teenage son went out the previous night to grab his jacket. So... I'm willing to give Ford the benefit of the doubt on this one. All bets are off when teenage kids are involved. It still seems a bit strange that the map lights would stay on indefinitely if the door wasn't shut properly and draw enough power to drain the battery.

Anyway, taking it in on Monday so the Service Department can take a look. With less than 500 miles on the truck you don't expect a dead battery when you go out to start it.
Yes. When I had my map light issue the lamps were on over night. ....the truck started up w/o a groan.
Also my neighbor bought a new Escape a few years back. A day or two after he got it home he had the hood up. The battery was so dead that he couldn't charge or jump it.

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger

Solution long but solved: Drove brand new 2020 XLT scab from showroom floor this week, parked in garage, took stuff out of rear via rear driver side door. Closed both driver doors...Two hours later went to look at the new beauty and the taillights, license plate lights, overhead map lights, box light were still on!!! Checked the overhead map light switch...centered correctly, opened and re-closed drivers door and waited 20 minutes....all the lights were STILL ON ! Called the salesman, he talked to shop electrician who said to tap the "minus" button a couple of times on the headlight quadrant located lower left of the steering column/panel. I did. All lights stayed on. I knew batteries would be dead in the morning with only 49 miles on the odometer.

I thought about what I did after parking in the garage. Only opened driver and narrow rear passenger driver side door to get stuff out. So I then opened driver door and rear door, "slammed" both shut. Lights went out !! Opened the driver door, closed it normally. Lights went out. Opened the driver and rear driver side door, closed them normally. Lights stayed ON.

With driver door open, I opened the rear driver side door and closed the latter normally by pushing it closed at the center front edge of the door as I always do, then shook the bottom of the door next to the bottom catch. TIGHT ! Then shook the top of the door next to the latch...guess what..it MOVED visibly 1/8" ! I then closed the driver door and waited for the lights to go out. 10 minutes later..STILL ON!.

Opened the rear driver side door again, noting the previous very slight movement at the top near the latch, then closed the door normally but this time BY pushing the door closed at the TOP NEAR THE TOP LATCH instead of the center of the door. Tried to shake the closed door at the top...TIGHT!!! Bottom at latch tight. Then closed drivers door and ALL THE LIGHTS WENT OUT NORMALLY!!! Repeated this several times over the last couple of days...same result, push rear driver side door closed normally (without slamming) at TOP near latch, all lights out!

Obviously all you folks with the "always lights on with doors closed" problem may have a solution.

NOTE: Both passenger side doors closed normally ....lights always went out. The rear passenger door closed normally at center both top and bottom latches closed securely...no movement what so ever.

Seems the driver side rear door is slightly warped, just enough to keep the top latch from electrical contact.

Perhaps the final solution would be to close the rear door on a board at the bottom and attempt to push the top of the door SLIGHTLY to un-warp it enough to latch the upper and lower securely with normal center door closing. Careful not to break glass or glass seal...maybe push at center which I did...now lights go out every time closing normally at center of door. Enough said. Best of all after several days driving...Love the Ranger and "0" problems. Whats not to love?

Last edited:

Jefferylhenry

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Investor
My 2019 xlt ranger is doing the same thing. Started about 4 weeks ago.out of the blue. Comes on with startup and won’t go off until switch cycled. I does go off when truck is turned off with normal cycle?

Hot Pepper Red Zeppelin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Curiosity killed the cat.

Of course after reading this thread this morning I just had to go out and jack around with the rocker switch which I probably hadn't touched in 2 years. After which, yes, the stupid lights starting acting up. After a few key cycles and/or messing with the switch I think the lights are back to normal.

You have been warned.
Sponsored