Lariat Leather Seats and Steering Wheel

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Ford marketing says the seats in the Lariat are "Leather Trimmed"...

Does anyone know what that means? What part of the seat is leather? If you look at them, there are all kinds of panels, strips, trims, stitching... I like them. But, I am just curious if by leather trimmed Ford means that small 1" wide strip down the middle? LOL.

Also, the leather steering wheel. Lots of texture on that. So much so it seems like fake leather. My previous two trucks were Chevy's and they were a very smooth leather.

Sorry for the dumb questions. But, inquiring minds want to know!
Sponsored

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Ford marketing says the seats in the Lariat are "Leather Trimmed"...

Does anyone know what that means? What part of the seat is leather? If you look at them, there are all kinds of panels, strips, trims, stitching... I like them. But, I am just curious if by leather trimmed Ford means that small 1" wide strip down the middle? LOL.

Also, the leather steering wheel. Lots of texture on that. So much so it seems like fake leather. My previous two trucks were Chevy's and they were a very smooth leather.

Sorry for the dumb questions. But, inquiring minds want to know!
That is a very good question, My seats feel like they are all leather maybe its referring to the fact that there are cloth bits around the sides and bottom but yeah the wording is weird, as far as the wheel that feels very real and not like the pleather the parking boot is made from, they probably have the texturing to make the wheel easier to grip

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Leather trimmed means just the portion you body touches is some type of leather...the seat and back inserts only. Everything else, side bolsters both seat bottom and seat back, head rests, back and sides are imitation, vinyl material. On both the Screw and Scab, there is no "leather at all on the back seats. Also, door panels on both contain no leather. Steering wheel is leather covered.
A "true" leather interior like you'll see on very expensive vehicles and on the custom car shows on TV are way too expensive to use on a standard production vehicle. There are so many ways for manufacturers to make vinyl "look" like leather, that it's almost impossible to see where the leather ends and vinyl starts.
The Roush editions may be/have more leather/suede, but than look what you pay for one.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I have rarely bought a car in the last 40 years+ that didn't come with "leather" (my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon the exception and the 2022 Ranger XLT I have now). The Jeep cloth kind of sucked in my opinion, the Ranger "cloth" I think is great.

In those years, what "leather" usually meant was a few panels of leather and mostly a synthetic leatherette material on the rest of it. I first noticed the difference in leather and leatherette when we were buying MBZ cars and there was a difference, Leather was all Leather and you could spec Leatherette.

What I found through the years is the synthetic leatherette held up far better, looking basically new, far longer than the cars we bought that was 100% leather.

Maybe if I cared for my interior the way I suspect a guy like Dave does @AzScorpion, leather might match or even exceed the performance of leatherette. But for the average Joe like me that does a damp cloth once over, leatherette I think is a preferred choice anyway.

My XLT came with cloth and I have to say, so far, I am digging it. I might be off "leather" and leatherette for good.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I hate "leather" seats with a passion, and wish cloth were an option on the lariat. I've never understood why anyone would actually want to sit on a non-breathable plastic sheet. (Maybe a damp back is a good thing for some?)

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
If you do want a "true leather" interior, there are companies that produce quality products, Katzkin being the most known. They use true cowhide, and there covers are all leather.
But, just their basic covers without any options, run around $2000.00 for a two row vehicle. All kinds of options/colors/stitching/inserts available. And, they are true seat covers, and need to be professionally installed...seats have to come out and the OE covers removed, and the Katzkins installed. Will look like OE when done, but for added cost.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If you do want a "true leather" interior, there are companies that produce quality products, Katzkin being the most known. They use true cowhide, and there covers are all leather.
But, just their basic covers without any options, run around $2000.00 for a two row vehicle. All kinds of options/colors/stitching/inserts available. And, they are true seat covers, and need to be professionally installed...seats have to come out and the OE covers removed, and the Katzkins installed. Will look like OE when done, but for added cost.
Could probably PM @2020RangerKingRanch for a lightly used set.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I hate "leather" seats with a passion, and wish cloth were an option on the lariat. I've never understood why anyone would actually want to sit on a non-breathable plastic sheet. (Maybe a damp back is a good thing for some?)
I wear clothes when out for a drive. Often two layers separate me from, well most things I suppose.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I wear clothes when out for a drive. Often two layers separate me from, well most things I suppose.
so do I. they get damp when they're between me and a non-breathable surface in the summer.

in the winter the plastic is just f'ing cold in the morning.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
“What part of the seat is leather?”
The name

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
so do I. they get damp when they're between me and a non-breathable surface in the summer.

in the winter the plastic is just f'ing cold in the morning.
I see your point. I like my Tremor seats. Fake suede and fake leather. I sit on the soft part.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
I have perforated katzkin's in my mustang. They never feel hot and sweaty or too cold. I live in the desert and see temps from -20 to 110 degrees. The perforation makes a huge difference. Katzkin's are definitely worth the money. Probably put them in the ranger at Christmas time.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Years ago they used Corinthian leather. Luxurious and supple ?

Think what they’re using is just the upmarket of that

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired