First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I wonder if you could take a bunch of banana skins, cure em and stitch em together to make custom seat covers ?
I wonder who on the forum would be knowledgeable about banana skins ???:giggle:
Sponsored

Nomadjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
so do I. they get damp when they're between me and a non-breathable surface in the summer.

in the winter the plastic is just f'ing cold in the morning.
In the before time I would've been right there with the hatred for leather seats vs. cloth. The kiddo has changed that like a lot of things. The ease of just wiping something up off the leather is so nice compared to having stuff ground into the cloth.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
In the before time I would've been right there with the hatred for leather seats vs. cloth. The kiddo has changed that like a lot of things. The ease of just wiping something up off the leather is so nice compared to having stuff ground into the cloth.
I don't spill crap all over my seats ?‍♂

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Ford marketing says the seats in the Lariat are "Leather Trimmed"...

Does anyone know what that means? What part of the seat is leather? If you look at them, there are all kinds of panels, strips, trims, stitching... I like them. But, I am just curious if by leather trimmed Ford means that small 1" wide strip down the middle? LOL.

Also, the leather steering wheel. Lots of texture on that. So much so it seems like fake leather. My previous two trucks were Chevy's and they were a very smooth leather.

Sorry for the dumb questions. But, inquiring minds want to know!
I always assumed that "leather-trimmed" is a term inserted by lawyers so that the company can use the word "leather" without having to make the item in question entirely out of leather. Note that the term has a lot of wiggle room in it: if any part, no matter how small, does not even have to be one percent, has leather in it, then they can make a mainly cloth or plastic seat or steering wheel cover and describe it as "leather-trimmed."

I have no complaints about my Lariat's "leather-trimmed" seats and steering wheel, which are comfortable and functional, but I do not think the leather content is significant.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Not sure if this was posted, but this is what I found -

What does leather trim seat mean? Leather trimmed means the seating surface and the seat back are leather (and possible the bolsters), all other sections are vinyl.

And Ford publicizes the rear seats in the Supercab Lariat are all vinyl.

OP
OP
RangerTX

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Great comments. Thx for all the info.

I am generally not a big fan of leather seats. Again, I bought the Lariat because its slim pickins for Rangers around here. That being said, I like it, but if I had a choice I would go cloth. But, I will tell this this: The most uncomfortable Ford seat is a world better than anything Chevy does. My last two trucks were Chevy's... Their seats are like a park bench. lol

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I hate "leather" seats with a passion, and wish cloth were an option on the lariat. I've never understood why anyone would actually want to sit on a non-breathable plastic sheet. (Maybe a damp back is a good thing for some?)
Absolutely agree - especially when there's very little "leather" to begin with. My opinion from way back when is that automakers should offer a premium cloth option for all their upper trim level vehicles.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Not sure if this was posted, but this is what I found -

What does leather trim seat mean? Leather trimmed means the seating surface and the seat back are leather (and possible the bolsters), all other sections are vinyl.

And Ford publicizes the rear seats in the Supercab Lariat are all vinyl.
I recall a similar topic decades ago when Chevrolet introduced the leather seat option in the Camaro for 1975. That year, Camaro lost power, burned cleaner (cat con) with better maintenance intervals, and had Leather Seating as an option.

Camaro fans were shocked to find out this only applied to the seating surfaces of the front seats. Available in Saddle Leather' or 'Dark Red Leather' - seats from a 1975 Corvette shown.

0d80a2fb_0782_4fcc_94c5_4dd947d06d2b_3ac4e5b8f3070ec43e95b5b85c0e54e3c4fad475.jpeg

Jebber

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4WD Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I hate "leather" seats with a passion, and wish cloth were an option on the lariat. I've never understood why anyone would actually want to sit on a non-breathable plastic sheet. (Maybe a damp back is a good thing for some?)
dog hair doesn’t stick, my wife insisted I get leather for that very reason. Of course I had to go to the Lariat to get it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
dog hair doesn’t stick, my wife insisted I get leather for that very reason. Of course I had to go to the Lariat to get it.
Dog hair is still going to be all over the place. I'd rather not have a damp back.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I wonder if you could take a bunch of banana skins, cure em and stitch em together to make custom seat covers ?
I wonder who on the forum would be knowledgeable about banana skins ???:giggle:
GrippingFalseCaiman-size_restricted.gif

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I test drove an XLT and Lariat back to back and the XLT cloth seats were much more comfortable IMO. I don‘t get fatigued at all driving the Ranger.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I love leather seats. They are easier to move around on, easier to clean, and get polished with wear, not wear through or become ragged looking.

Dog hair still gets all through my truck, but having short haired dogs, the fur accumulates in the corners, not interwoven through the cloth which is incredibly difficult to remove. Dirty dog feet don't grind the dirt into the cloth. Dog slobber is cleaned with a damp cloth, and doesn't soak in as much. Leather also traps less stink than cloth does.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I love leather seats. They are easier to move around on, easier to clean, and get polished with wear, not wear through or become ragged looking.

Dog hair still gets all through my truck, but having short haired dogs, the fur accumulates in the corners, not interwoven through the cloth which is incredibly difficult to remove. Dirty dog feet don't grind the dirt into the cloth. Dog slobber is cleaned with a damp cloth, and doesn't soak in as much. Leather also traps less stink than cloth does.
My daughter's male beagle rode with us once to a city park. Took at least a couple of good cleanings to get the hair out.....:shock:

RobertU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2001 Ford Ranger XLT
Years ago they used Corinthian leather. Luxurious and supple ?

Think what they’re using is just the upmarket of that
No such thing as Corinthian leather. That was just a made up name by Chrysler in those Ricardo montalban commercials
Sponsored