First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Back in them there olden days you ordered a car, and then went down an order sheet, checking off each individual item you wanted, from engine to under dash tissue holder....that's what makes the older vehicles so "individual".
I ordered several new cars back then, 64 Falcon Sprint, 69 Pontiac GTO Ram Air 4, 73 Olds Delta 88 Hardtop, and all were ordered with options checked off a separate option sheet.
Our Rangers....nothing rare at all, no matter how you ordered it, as most of the options come with "packages", and we all have the same engine/tranny combo's......just not a lot of individual items/options you can get.
I think it may be "zero sum." in all but large metro areas, most new buyers in the 50's & 60's spec'ed out their orders, and some options were restricted by model hierarchy; couldn't get a clock in a Mainline, for example. Nowadays, even small dealers have dozens of vehicles for spot delivery, and dealers order from a formula recommended by the zone or factory. The formula is based on what is trending in other makes, production efficiency and parts availability.
That's why if Ranger XLT SuperCabs are trending at 10% mix, and your 30 day allocation is 9 Rangers, You may not want to stock any XL or Lariat SuperCabs, or any SC's at all. So, the outlier vehicles are somewhat rare to begin with, and the customer-ordered units w/individual options make them rarer still. Ford sold 94,755 Rangers 2021, and I am guessing supercabs were 10% or less. That would leave ~9700 SC's of all configurations. Assuming 10% is reasonably accurate, break it down further by how many of those were Carbonized Grey, how many were XLs, how may of those were 4X4, how many FX4, How many STX, now how many had factory mud flaps, and so on...Unicorn?
Sponsored