Vehicle Showcase

JohnUSA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Sorry if redundant, may have missed it in 15 pages...

Looks like you have to update via USB currently, but OTA is coming? Is that right?

Thanks.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Sorry if redundant, may have missed it in 15 pages...

Looks like you have to update via USB currently, but OTA is coming? Is that right?

Thanks.
Yes, who knows and yes.

GrandpaD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired
Rainy day so I got adventurous and made the jump to 3.4. I tried the Beta and that my PC didn't like it, so we did the two file method. Took 30 minutes. I did a master reset, paired the phone, got Ford Pass reconnected, etc. Like someone an nice said, thinking about it is more intimidating than they actual process.

I was able to get Android Auto up and running right off the bat... something I couldn't do with 3.3. It's nice to see Waze for a change. Just have to remember to "Hey Google" instead of pressing the steering wheel button.

I'm assuming, from what I could get from a search, is the climate screen is MIA unless I want to jump into Forscan. I'd like to have the screen but unsure if I want to delve into Forscan at the moment.

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 500a
I think I've been as patient as I can be waiting for the 3.4 official update on my 2019. I'm ready to do the update manually myself. Can we get a sticky post with latest instructions? I've looked around on this thread and others on this forum and currently all I can really find is a smattering of "use this link from some other site for F150's", or "I followed these instructions from a guy in Russia"....

Is there a "here is how to manually update to Sync 3.4" post/thread somewhere with latest instructions that I'm just missing?
Sync 3 is mostly deployed on the same hardware across Ford's lineup per model year. There are a few exceptions though but none that apply in your case. The link to the F150 forums is my thread and the files linked in it are from my google drive which are the official files I downloaded directly from Ford. I understand you are or were waiting for Ford to release an update through a more official / public channel and a few weeks ago they momentarily did publish the update you want through OASIS before it was revoked for unknown reasons.

The update Ford packaged together and uploaded to OASIS is exactly how you'll find it packaged together from any other Ford forum on the internet, (screenshot of Oasis below). Thanks in part to the advice of the user UofM Engineer who is a developer at Ford who directly works on Sync products. He's also a user here and has posted in this very thread a few times already, but primarily you'll find his most influential posts on the Ford Explorer forums.

If you're waiting on Ford to re-release their update through OASIS, below I linked to another F150 thread which is something you will want to keep an eye on. The F150 forum user Tmcolegr is a Ford fleet tech who checks Oasis for official updates every day and posts anything new right away.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/ford-releases-sync-3-v3-4-39-some-2019-vehicles-v3-3-a-470402/

3.jpg

Last edited:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I took my truck in for the dim ambient lighting. I was pretty pissed when I got the truck back after spending a couple of hours flashing 3.4. They reverted back to 3.3 in the shop. I was not happy but I didn't say anything to them because I may need the benefit of Doubt someday so I just reflashed 3.4 and all is good again. Oh and the ambient lighting is still too weak any place I see it is in the USB tray

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I updated with the Cyanlabs link, downloaded to my USB, plugged it in, drove to work, installed while driving, finished and everything works like a charm!

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I updated with the Cyanlabs link, downloaded to my USB, plugged it in, drove to work, installed while driving, finished and everything works like a charm!
Does anyone know if you will continue to get automatic updates after updating this way?

Texas Scout

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, White Platinum
There's no need to reformat on 3.2+. You'd just run an installer with the latest apps (381) and voice (391) to update, or wait for the official updater which will do the same thing. People will reformat to either run v3.4 on an unsupported module (meant for v3.0 and earlier only) or to install a newer map update prior to it being available for download.
The post 112627 by UofMEngineer is ONE BIG HELPFUL hint that I missed when I did my first Sync update. The key hint is "There's no need to reformat on 3.2+" !

This information is based on the earlier process to update from cyanlabs.net/tutorials earlier in 2020 when they used 2-3 USB update keys to do the update.

Since the early 2019 Ford Rangers were delivered with Sync 3.2, and Sync 3.3 was delivered in April 2019, there was no need to execute the reformat step when following the cyanlab.net/tutorials from early 2020 for the 2019 or 2020 Ford Rangers. The first USB stick with the reformat step is for vehicles with Sync 3 versions less than 3.2.

There is a new FordSync Update tool now from cyanlabs.net/tutorials that "requires" the reformat tool to process the update. Post 140548 provides information on the new tool.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Some of the related SSBs in OASIS are showing planned fix release in July last I checked.
Sounds like it's on the same boat as the performance ECU flash from FP.

Texas Scout

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, White Platinum
Cyanlabs.net/tutorials now has a "NEW" Ford Sync Upgrade tool (Windows only) that provides a step by step guide to upgrade from Sync versions 3.2 0r 3.3 to the desired Sync 3.4 build with maps.

https://cyanlabs.net/applications/ford-sync-downloader/

The Windows tool automates the entire process from Disclaimer, download of files directly from official Ford links, building the USB key for update, etc...

This tool only requires one USB stick, but because it is downloading the Sync App files, compatible voice files, and the maps, a USB key size of at least 16GB is recommended. USB3 not required or recommended.

I just tested the creation of the USB key and the files size required 13.4GB.

They obviously ran into some support issues with the manual process as they mention they had to remove the downloadable files from their website to not get into trouble with Ford.

I was able to successfully update my 2019 Ranger to Sync 3.4 Build 20021 using the manual method, but this automated method is recommended because the process downloads the correct, compatible files for you and formats and prepares the USB upgrade key automatically.

Last edited:

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Cyanlabs.net/tutorials now has a "NEW" Ford Sync Upgrade tool (Windows only) that provides a step by step guide to upgrade from Sync versions 3.2 0r 3.3 to the desired Sync 3.4 build with maps.

https://cyanlabs.net/applications/ford-sync-downloader/

The Windows tool automates the entire process from Disclaimer, download of files directly from official Ford links, building the USB key for update, etc...

This tool only requires one USB stick, but because it is downloading the Sync App files, compatible voice files, and the maps, a USB key size of at least 16GB is recommended. USB3 not required or recommended.

I just tested the creation of the USB key and the files size required 13.4GB.

They obviously ran into some support issues with the manual process as they mention they had to remove the downloadable files from their website to not get into trouble with Ford.

I was able to successfully update my 2019 Ranger to Sync 3.4 Build 20021 using the manual method, but this automated method is recommended because the process downloads the correct, compatible files for you and formats and prepares the USB key automatically.
Will upgrading this way allow you to get future updates automatically or are you stuck in a manual process from that point on? Not sure if I should try upgrading this weekend or just wait for the official update in July.