First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have Ford's Performance tune, which also changes the shifting parameters in the transmission. My garage averages about 45°F this time of year, and until all of the drive train warms up, all sorts of maladies occur. I've learned to live with, and ignore, all of them!

(When you get my age [80], you'll darn-well learn to ignore a lot of things!)
Sponsored

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
isnt it even worse with a stick shift ?
sure you wont have a delay like this, but you'll have other issues.
I've almost broken my wrist a handful of times trying to shift my previous manual transmission cars (2001 Ford Focus and 2014 Subaru Crosstrek) in very cold weather (-20F and below as a general cutoff). At a certain point it's too cold for anything to work properly, whether purely mechanical, fluid based, or electronic systems. That's just how things work.

At least in an automatic transmission, the transmission is feeling the pain and not my human body. haha
You folks are driving the wrong vehicles I guess? I've never had issues shifting the sticks I've driven / owned thru the years.
  • 1970 Nova: 230 I-6 w/ 3 on the tree.
  • 1972 Chevy C/20: 350 V8 with a 4 speed (granny low gear) manual
  • 1985 GMC S-15: 2.8 V6 w/ a 5 speed manual
  • 1997 Tacoma I-4 w/ a 5 speed manual
  • 2002 Tacoma V6 w/ a 5 speed manual

Reactions: EJH

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The cold affects some manuals also. I had a 2005 Ford Focus and when cold it was a bear to get into first gear.
Had a 70 Cuda, when it was -20 F you had use two hands to pull it into neutral start it with the clutch in. Then Rev it while letting the clutch out so it didn't snub. Then let it idle a while to get the gear lube loose enough to get it into gear with one hand. The old Dino 90 weight got real stiff.

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Mine did the same thing. The colder it was and the longer it sat, the worse the delay was. Shift into reverse, delay, delay, then go into reverse. It would slam hard too if you were not holding the brakes tight. Took it to the dealer, they confirmed it, and put a whole new tranny in. Never had a problem since.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Does that prevent the delay when shifting out of Park?
I have to clarify. Mine has a short 2-3 second delay getting in gear when in rev or drive. After letting it warm up or drive for a bit the delay is very minimal.
The delay is actually a design feature from Ford Performance meant to give you the chance to tromp the throttle and "kill all tires"...:giggle::angel::turkey:

1607951056198.png

1607950938753.png

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
There is a TSB for sluggish jerking transmission when cold and low speed. All my issues went away once they did this. (All they do is reset the computer). I guess a batch of Rangers came out of the factory with bad parameters.

(this is a different TSB than the shudder associated with lifted Rangers)

Reactions: EJH

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
If you research, this is common with the A10 across models. It needs heat to work properly with the programming as is. I have worked hard with 5 Star to fix this as they have seen it in their own vehicles too and we almost have it perfect. We may never get it 100% perfect as every automatic acts differently when cold, but is is SIGNIFICANTLY better now.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
There is a TSB for sluggish jerking transmission when cold and low speed. All my issues went away once they did this. (All they do is reset the computer). I guess a batch of Rangers came out of the factory with bad parameters.

(this is a different TSB than the shudder associated with lifted Rangers)
You can do the same with a KAM reset on a tuner, or even unhook the battery for an hour or so. It works for a while, but it comes back over time...

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I usually back in my driveway at night, so I'm only going forward in the morning. I do however get some weirdness on the 3-4 shift though when it's cold. I usually just try to drive slow through the neighborhood so it doesn't shift that high and give it some extra time to warm up. That helps a little. As far as the manuals go... my mustang also shifts rough when it's cold. The 1-2 shift usually. I have read that better fluids help with that (royal purple, redline, lucas, etc.), but I haven't got around to changing it yet. Maybe in the spring.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Also, check your transmission fluid. Many A10s in the Mustangs and F-150s are shipping low on fluid. As much as a quart or a quart and a half. I checked mine and it was 1/2 quart low. It really helped when I topped it off to the proper level.

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT and 2008 Porsche Carrera 4S
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
I too have this trouble in colder weather before warm up.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Even warm mine just has a hard time deciding what to do.
I find that in the city when I am coasting at 20-40mph then getting back on gas lightly to accelerate the truck has a hard time deciding to get in gear and go. You can feel it hesitating for a few seconds, then slam in gear and it goes. No matter show careful I am it happens. I know most defend this 10 speed and overall it is good but they have more homework to do.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Fluid Dynamics..... cold transmission fluid is thick and doesn’t behave the same as warm fluid. Give it a few moments to warm up. At -40 (C&F) it will take 3-5 minutes of engine run time , circulating tranny and power steering fluid, before it gets warm enough to properly perform its task. Put a bottle of Syrup in the fridge and see how long it takes to pour out !
FYI - this mornings temp.
9F0951DB-F6C1-4549-AFF2-D9AA02F76F07.jpeg

Quaterday

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger PX3 BiTurbo
Occupation
Retired
Henry, my Ranger 10 speed does the same thing, it will just rev ou t if you let it.
Ford service tell me they can't find anything wrong. I believe it to be a faulty solenoid that looses pressure
Sponsored

Last edited: