First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I wondered if anybody else has notices this?

Our Ranger has been spending it's down time in our barn this winter. Last year it was in the attached garage where it never gets below freezing.

Temperatures here in the past few weeks have been in the teens (F), or lower, in the mornings. I don't warm up the truck... Start it up, wait maybe 15 seconds... and then I shift the truck from Park to Reverse, to back it out of the barn. Once I shift into Reverse the truck just sits there for maybe a second or two... then it moves backwards.

Definitely different than during warm weather.

After that first shift... no issues.

Am I worried? Nope.

Just wondered if anybody else noticed it?

Sponsored

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Mine does that occasionally. Generally though not when I sit for a minute or so to let the fluids circulate and let things start to warm up. Been in the teens here too.

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
+1 Not driving it every day, maybe twice a week now, and I also started noticing this lately, first time ths happened I stabbed the accelerator a bit soon and got a bit of a clunk. Now being patient until she starts rolling.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
My wife's '18 Mustang with the 10spd has taught me all of those little quirks. Her does the same at times, and I expect the Ranger will also.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I wondered if anybody else has notices this?

Our Ranger has been spending it's down time in our barn this winter. Last year it was in the attached garage where it never gets below freezing.

Temperatures here in the past few weeks have been in the teens (F), or lower, in the mornings. I don't warm up the truck... Start it up, wait maybe 15 seconds... and then I shift the truck from Park to Reverse, to back it out of the barn. Once I shift into Reverse the truck just sits there for maybe a second or two... then it moves backwards.

Definitely different than during warm weather.

After that first shift... no issues.

Am I worried? Nope.

Just wondered if anybody else noticed it?

Yes. I noticed that as well. I now let the truck warm up enough for the information center to boot up 100%. About 1 minute.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Yes. I noticed that as well. I now let the truck warm up enough for the information center to boot up 100%. About 1 minute.
Does that prevent the delay when shifting out of Park?

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Does that prevent the delay when shifting out of Park?
I have to clarify. Mine has a short 2-3 second delay getting in gear when in rev or drive. After letting it warm up or drive for a bit the delay is very minimal.

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I haven't had any delays like that, but I have had a couple mornings recently where I put it in reverse quickly on start and I got a nice thud.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Fluid Dynamics..... cold transmission fluid is thick and doesn’t behave the same as warm fluid. Give it a few moments to warm up. At -40 (C&F) it will take 3-5 minutes of engine run time , circulating tranny and power steering fluid, before it gets warm enough to properly perform its task. Put a bottle of Syrup in the fridge and see how long it takes to pour out !

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
My work vehicle is a 2020 dodge caravan and it does the same thing if I don't warm it up first. No matter if it's hot or cold out. Just how these newer transmissions are I guess.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Fluid Dynamics..... cold transmission fluid is thick and doesn’t behave the same as warm fluid. Give it a few moments to warm up. At -40 (C&F) it will take 3-5 minutes of engine run time , circulating tranny and power steering fluid, before it gets warm enough to properly perform its task. Put a bottle of Syrup in the fridge and see how long it takes to pour out !
... another reason why I wish Ford offered a stick shift. I've driven stick shifts since 1985.