Issues with lariat 2021-2023 halogen tailgate light bar ASY.

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
If there's one thing I've learned so far with my '20 XLT, its that the electronics are VERY sensitive to changes. When I had my morimoto XBs installed, they were killing my drivers side running lights F&R. Flipping the light switch solved the problem, but didnt address the root cause. The system for sensing extra load in this truck is very sensitive & shuts down circuits to avoid damage very early on - probably a good thing to be fair.

My third brake light on the topper also caused this issue. They ended up needing to wire it directly to my brake pedal rather than the tail light wiring harness to solve the issue.
Sponsored

waloud

First Name
Whitaker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 LB Ranger
Im going to cut my losses and return the light.

waloud

First Name
Whitaker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 LB Ranger
Where does this bar sit? I swapped my third brake light reverse lights (the ones that double as cargo) to led and they are pretty bright. Been debating bed lights given I have a tonneau l, curious if there is a better plug and play solution using the cigarette adapter line already run.

What LED light did you use for the light?

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to be running some tests sometimes this week (I have a similar on going issue with some rack rear lights).

Both are crapshoots.

Test 1 - adding a one way diode onto the split lines to see if this tricks this system at all since it should stop back flow, which might stop it from calculating the extra draw in whatever method it uses.

Test 2 - adding a relay to the lines so it pulls much less power than the actual third party light. Waste of a relay on such low powered lines, but they are cheap enough its worth a shot.

Test 3 - if the above two fail indivdually, trying throwing both ideas at the system. If neither of these work then its probably just not going to happen.

Kody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Farmer
Have a 2023 ranger and have the hyper flash problem also. Has been into my dealership multiple times. Changed BCM and TCM. Still have not resolved the problem. The tech cannot figure it out. About ready to just live with it I guess. Stay away from this light bar. Ford needs to address this issue and remove it from their website.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I am going to be running some tests sometimes this week (I have a similar on going issue with some rack rear lights).

Both are crapshoots.

Test 1 - adding a one way diode onto the split lines to see if this tricks this system at all since it should stop back flow, which might stop it from calculating the extra draw in whatever method it uses.

Test 2 - adding a relay to the lines so it pulls much less power than the actual third party light. Waste of a relay on such low powered lines, but they are cheap enough its worth a shot.

Test 3 - if the above two fail indivdually, trying throwing both ideas at the system. If neither of these work then its probably just not going to happen.
Opto isolators have a built in diode and draw mA’s of current. The BMS would never know it’s there.

OP
OP
ThatsAMonkey

ThatsAMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Lariat 4x4, Triumph Bonneville T120
Opto isolators have a built in diode and draw mA’s of current. The BMS would never know it’s there.
I haven't delved into circuitry so please bare with me. So my understanding is the opto isolator that has a built in diode transfers a signal using light to isolated circuits, correct? And with the opto isolator drawing mA's would it be enough to trigger the fast blinking code on the turn signal indicator? And the BMS is the battery management system?
82vadgj4xna6q9h31bnv7&ep=v1_videos_search&rid=200w.gif

I'm tempted to pull the harness from Putco out and get rid of the light bar... but I do like the extra lighting despite the 50/50 fast blinker. 🤷‍♂️

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
There have been so many posts on this forum about electrical problems when doing ANYTHING to the tail lights, you'd best just get rid of it....and have the dealer remove it. You don't want them saying you screwed up the light removing it. But if you gotta have a light bar, I guess the headache comes with it.

OP
OP
ThatsAMonkey

ThatsAMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Lariat 4x4, Triumph Bonneville T120
There have been so many posts on this forum about electrical problems when doing ANYTHING to the tail lights, you'd best just get rid of it....and have the dealer remove it. You don't want them saying you screwed up the light removing it. But if you gotta have a light bar, I guess the headache comes with it.
I did call the shop to notify them about the issue reoccurring so I might just do that and have them remove it since they installed it. Noticed that as well but I made the purchase before reading the forums since I thought hey, it's on the ford accessories page it should be good. Goodness was I naive.

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
Yes, just end the nightmare. The truck looks great without it.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
It would be nice if we could find the inner workings of the BCM to find the spec on the micro controller inside the BCM. (On the PCB)
The Micro Controller with associated resistor is a current sensing controller and has a min/max wattage (current flow) to trip the Turn-Outage (Hyper-Flash)
By swapping to LED lights, this creates a trip on the (Min) side of the controller, sensing a Turn-Outage - thus the need for adding a resistor to simulate factory incandescent bulb resistance.
By adding extra lights to the circuit, you are affecting the (Max) side of the Turn-Outage.
I don't know what the Min/Max Specs are but if we had a breakdown of BCM internals and get the resistor number we could better calculate add on lights.

So, for this specific issue and light bar, the question would be which is tripping the hyper-flash Min or Max?
and would adding a resistor (Min) fix the issue.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
So, for this specific issue and light bar, the question would be which is tripping the hyper-flash Min or Max?
and would adding a resistor (Min) fix the issue.
If the Max current is exceeded for the light circuit, doesn't the BCM shut off power to the circuit?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
If the Max current is exceeded for the light circuit, doesn't the BCM shut off power to the circuit?
Yes, by using a FET - (Field Effect Transistor)
I do not know the specific specs it monitors but it is a separate micro controller in the exterior lighting circuit (Inside the BCM) that monitors excessive amp draw (shorts) and shuts down the circuit. It will reset with a key cycle and return if not corrected.
This will generate a message on the dash and also a fault code.
If enough FET trips occur the BCM is bricked and requires replacement as it cannot be reset anymore
So, basically the FET protects the internal circuit of the BCM for each individual lighting circuit.

For, clarification the Hyper-Blink indication is only on the Turn Signal circuit and the (Max) load within that circuit would not be sensed as a short but as an example would be a dirty light socket or connection thus changing the resistance in the circuit, and by adding lighting (lightbar) is adding a draw (amperage) on the circuit and adding more resistance (Through the Light-Itself)

This is using the bare minimum description from the manual.

Now being that the manual does not specify that the Turn Outage will also monitor extra load. I used other sources for how the Turn-Outage Micro Operates, as this would explain why adding lights creates the Hyper-Blink but does not trip the FET and shut the circuit down.

Ref: This online find as an example, note it is not for the Ranger, but it is used as a Reference.

Tear down BCM (fixing hyper flashing with LEDs) | Gadgets for my MX-5 Miata (ND)
(mx5things.blog)

From the Manuals: (Below)

FET Protection.png

Turn Outage.png

Field Effect Transistor (FET) Protection

The BCM utilizes an Field Effect Transistor (FET) protective circuit strategy for many of its outputs, for example, lamp output circuits. Output loads (current level) are monitored for excessive current (typically short circuits) and are shut down (turns off the voltage or ground provided by the module) when a fault is detected.

A Field Effect Transistor (FET) is a type of transistor that the control module software uses to control and monitor current flow on module outputs. The Field Effect Transistor (FET) protection strategy prevents module damage in the event of excessive current flow.

Output loads (current level) are monitored for excessive current draw (typically short circuits). When a fault event is detected the Field Effect Transistor (FET) turns off and a short circuit DTC sets. The module resets the Field Effect Transistor (FET) protection and allows the circuit to function when the fault is corrected or the ignition state is cycled off and then back on.

When the excessive circuit load occurs often enough, the module shuts down the output until a repair procedure is carried out. Each Field Effect Transistor (FET) protected circuit has three predefined levels of short circuit tolerance based on a module lifetime level of fault events based upon the durability of the Field Effect Transistor (FET). If the total tolerance level is determined to be 600 fault events, the three predefined levels would be 200, 400 and 600 fault events.

When each level is reached, the DTC associated with the short circuit sets along with DTC U1000:00. These Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) can be cleared using the module on-demand self-test, then the Clear DTC operation on the scan tool (if the on-demand test shows the fault corrected). The module never resets the fault event counter to zero and continues to advance the fault event counter as short circuit fault events occur.

If the number of short circuit fault events reach the third level, then Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) U1000:00 and U3000:49 set along with the associated short circuit DTC . DTC U3000:49 cannot be cleared and the module must be replaced after the repair.

Turn Signal and Hazard Lamps

The LH steering column multifunction switch has 2 detents for the left turn position and 2 detents for the right turn position. When placed in the first detent and released, the corresponding turn signals flash 3 times and turn off. When the LH steering column multifunction switch is moved to the second detent, the turn signal flashes until the steering wheel is turned in the opposite direction and the clockspring mechanically returns the LH steering column multifunction switch to the neutral position and cancels the turn signal.

When the hazard function is active, all the turn lamps flash on and off.

The timed on/off cycle for turn lamps is approximately 70 times per minute.

If a front or rear turn signal lamp is inoperative, the IPC turn lamp indicator fast flashes at approximately 150 times per minute to indicate a bulb outage to the driver (the exterior turn lamps will still flash at approximately 70 times per minute).

The timed on/off cycle for the hazard lamps is approximately 70 times per minute, regardless of bulb outage.

Turn lamps are located in the headlamp assemblies, rear lamp assemblies and the exterior mirror
Sponsored