Is This How The 2.7 EB Really Looks?

Bomlodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 SVO, 2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I’m guessing to that the 84 SVO was running a bit more boost too if memory serves lol. Heard it’s was really a fun car since it was so much lighter than it’s V8 cousin.
I haven't looked at what the Ranger is puttting out as far as boost goes. The last time it was driven, the SVO was set to 17psi via the manual boost control valve (stock is 15 max). Much more fun to drive than an equivalent GT. It was only around 3-400lbs lighter than an equivalent GT. What killed it was the price. In 1984, you could buy a fully loaded convertible GT for around $9k. My 84 SVO sold brand new in 1984 for north of $16k. Similar in performance as measured at the time by Americans (0-60 and 1/4 mile exclusively), just wasn't enough to justify the $7k premium.

Sorry, this devolved from a discussion about the 2.7 "bundle of snakes" to a 2.3 lima discussion.....I'll go back to work now.
Sponsored

Bomlodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 SVO, 2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Ford is all about getting the most HP out of small engines
Dodge will throw a V8 in a marshmallow and put wheels on it.
Chevy, well Im not sure what the heck Chevy is doing.

I never understood why they will make a mess of the Engine bay. They could route almost all of those hoses and tuck them in. I know I do it on every vehicle I own to date. I cant stand how unorganized the the routing looks. With all the trouble they put into making special bends and crap they could dress the engines up some. Atleast make a dang effort, or put some covers over it. Audi does a good job and even the cheap Ford Territory has engine covers.

ford-territory-2021.jpg
CarMeme.jpg

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Spoken like a true American excess consumer. Never about need, all about want!
This brings up an important question. Is "fun" a need or want? I tend to think it is a need. Without "fun" life would be boring and lead to depression. Given that, couldn't a strong argument be made that the 2.7 is a medical necessity?

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This brings up an important question. Is "fun" a need or want? I tend to think it is a need. Without "fun" life would be boring and lead to depression. Given that, couldn't a strong argument could be made that the 2.7 is a medical necessity?
Maybe your Dr can give you a prescription for this and you can write it off? :LOL:

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I would LOVE a 2.7 for my Ranger for Towing. The 2.3 does it, but even tuned it's a hair dryer at higher revs.

MOST Bronco owners should get a 2.3L. The 2.7 will be overkill and they'll never need all of it except to flex on V6 Jeeps.
Brother....I can eat V6 Jeeps for breakfast in my tuned 2.3 Ranger with a few mods....
Now the V8's....especially that Track Hawk.....I'm not messing with that...lol.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
It doesn't have to better. It's just a flex.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It doesn't have to better. It's just a flex.
I had a 2017 V6 Jeep Wrangler.

The Ranger would blow its doors without a tune.

With a tune, it would suck the headlights out of the Jeep as it went past.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2017 V6 Jeep Wrangler.

The Ranger would blow its doors without a tune.

With a tune, it would suck the headlights out of the Jeep as it went past.
Agreed....I'm driving a 2020 as a rental while my Ranger is being repaired from a Kamakaze deer. It has 6k miles and wallows around, motor sounds like a peanut thrasher and rides like crap. I want my truck back..

63330053215__7305E8A5-8939-4263-9E60-1EBF422A3AD6.fullsizerender.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Agreed....I'm driving a 2020 as a rental while my Ranger is being repaired from a Kamakaze deer. It has 6k miles and wallows around, motor sounds like a peanut thrasher and rides like crap. I want my truck back..

63330053215__7305E8A5-8939-4263-9E60-1EBF422A3AD6.fullsizerender.jpg
Those are notorious for the "death wobble". No thank you and much as I want my Bronco now I'll wait another year or two if I have to.

jinja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
One counter is that the 2.7L is much cleaner on the nozzles than the 2.3L, after 2018. That's the only reason I'd get it.

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
No need to worry about “dressing” this thing up. No more open hoods at car shows, Ford Picnics, Friday nite cruising’.....Besides, I’d have to refinance my house just to pay for new hoses/belts.

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
I dunno: We the People, that live in the Republic of Washington State, have just been informed that we’ll be paying over $1.00/gallon in taxes on gasoline within the next 2 years. So, about that electric thing....

Lucky2013

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 STX Special Edition,
Occupation
Aircraft Master Mechanic
There are a few spy photos from the Bronco plant showing the 2.7 and yes this is how it looks crammed under the hood. On the Bronco forum there are twice as many members there (almost 17K) as there are here so you're going to get a lot more opinions. Most which are no better than those who are on the Tacoma World site. :wink:

Most seem to feel the 2.3 will be underpowered for the Bronco not based on facts but just because it's a 4 cyl, even thought the Bronco and the Ranger are close in weight. I've tried to tell them how great the 2.3 is and that the towing rate on the Ranger is 7,500 lbs compared to the Bronco which is only 3,500 but it falls on deaf ears over there. I've even linked the threads from the towing section here but some just have it set in their head the 2.7 is going to be superior for their "Mall Crawlers" with the Sasquatch package. :cool:

You're right it looks like a nightmare to work on and then take into account you now have two turbos that could have potential problems. After driving my Ranger for about 1.5 years now I love this motor and I ordered the 2.3 for my Bronco.
Owning a 71 Bronco and beeing also on some of the Bronco pages I only can confirm that there are a lot of blind folded people ! Also the steady request for a V8 is unbelievble.

The 2.3 EB performs just great ! We was thinking to get a new Bronco, but 3500 lbs towing capacity is a no go. Maybe Ford gets smart and pops the tow rating up to 5000 lbs. Then we will buy one.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I dunno: We the People, that live in the Republic of Washington State, have just been informed that we’ll be paying over $1.00/gallon in taxes on gasoline within the next 2 years. So, about that electric thing....
You'll get use to it. Try moving north. Our gas is cheap right now at $5.44/gal. Doesn't seem to stop people from driving. :D
We was thinking to get a new Bronco, but 3500 lbs towing capacity is a no go. Maybe Ford gets smart and pops the tow rating up to 5000 lbs. Then we will buy one.
That's what I'm hoping for too. :please:
Sponsored