Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m guessing to that the 84 SVO was running a bit more boost too if memory serves lol. Heard it’s was really a fun car since it was so much lighter than it’s V8 cousin.
HI Mark,

Yep....having a great relation with SVO in those days, I was able to install the SVO bits on my 1985 Merkur XR4Ti...way more power....Sadly first wife wadded up the car not long after.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Ford is all about getting the most HP out of small engines
Dodge will throw a V8 in a marshmallow and put wheels on it.
Chevy, well Im not sure what the heck Chevy is doing.

I never understood why they will make a mess of the Engine bay. They could route almost all of those hoses and tuck them in. I know I do it on every vehicle I own to date. I cant stand how unorganized the the routing looks. With all the trouble they put into making special bends and crap they could dress the engines up some. Atleast make a dang effort, or put some covers over it. Audi does a good job and even the cheap Ford Territory has engine covers.

ford-territory-2021.jpg

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
On the off chance that Ford does offer the 2.7l in the Ranger it'd likely either be a top trim level option, or a specialty line (raptor, sport, tremor, shelby, etc). Along with it, probably a $40K+ starting price. Being able to spec an XL, or XLT ranger with a 2.7l probably is not going to happen.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
I see the same thing when I look at the 2.3L in my Ranger. I wonder if there's even an engine under all of that spaghetti of wires, and hoses.
Not just an engine, but also an oil filter! Allegedly...

DigiSnapMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Reading back... glowing turbos, low slung unsealed alternator... I wonder how a glowing turbo will like creek water splashed up against it?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
It will almost certainly be an option on the next gen ranger for the same reason it's in the bronco: the US market loves unnecessarily large engines. Personally I think the 2.3 is perfect for this application.
"Unnecessarily large engines" Rock!

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Reading back... glowing turbos, low slung unsealed alternator... I wonder how a glowing turbo will like creek water splashed up against it?
I doubt you're gonna get red hot turbos while wheeling in creeks, tbh.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Young guy I work with was looking online at the Bronco today. Asked him if he’s seen the motor in one yet. He looked at me shaking his head no. Showed him the picture in this thread. He’s like ya, I’m not doing that, that’s for sure. Lol

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Young guy I work with was looking online at the Bronco today. Asked him if he’s seen the motor in one yet. He looked at me shaking his head no. Showed him the picture in this thread. He’s like ya, I’m not doing that, that’s for sure. Lol
seen what the diesel jeep looks like under the hood? the days of extra space are long gone.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Spoken like a true American excess consumer. Never about need, all about want!
This.

Does my Ranger really NEED a bigger, more powerful engine?

Not really. It has more than enough power for a small truck.

Would I have bought one with a bigger, more powerful engine if it was available?

Absofreakin'lutely

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This.

Does my Ranger really NEED a bigger, more powerful engine?

Not really. It has more than enough power for a small truck.

Would I have bought one with a bigger, more powerful engine if it was available?

Absofreakin'lutely
Glad to see the American dream is still alive and well. Even after COVID. :rockon: :clap:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Spoken like a true American excess consumer. Never about need, all about want!
Not sure how this was intended, but since I actually am "a true American excess consumer," I can hardly take offense. Of course I do not need a 2.7 in the Ranger, but it is "never about need, all about want," and I want one. So, Ford, let's make a deal! Put a 2.7 in the next generation Ranger, and I will buy one! (But an optional PowerBoost hybrid motor on it, and I will buy that, too!)

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Most seem to feel the 2.3 will be underpowered for the Bronco not based on facts but just because it's a 4 cyl, even thought the Bronco and the Ranger are close in weight. I've tried to tell them how great the 2.3 is and that the towing rate on the Ranger is 7,500 lbs compared to the Bronco which is only 3,500 but it falls on deaf ears over there. I've even linked the threads from the towing section here but some just have it set in their head the 2.7 is going to be superior for their "Mall Crawlers" with the Sasquatch package. :cool:
Lol. I've done the exact same thing over there.........but I can't blame anyone for wanting a 2.7. It's the motor I would get, even though it's not necessary.
Obviously Ford won’t be putting a 2.7 in the ranger because I’m sure that would cut more into the f150 sales.
I have to disagree. (Well, actually, I'm hoping you are wrong). The Bronco and Ranger will be sharing a frame, and with the Bronco getting a 2.7, it'd be a no-brainer to offer it in the Ranger. I personally think the market that cross shops mid and full size trucks is extremely small, especially over just the engine size.
Sponsored