Valet Key???????? Is this really, not a thing anymore?

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I've been looking into a valet style key as well. I'm just like you guys and Hunt/kayak/fish etc and dont' want to take the large, expensive OEM key with me. I have dry boxes and bags, but one flipped kayak that lost gear (the box with keys, phone, wallet included) that I had to hunt down over 5 miles of river and i'm on the paranoid boat. I've always had a spare made and placed somewhere on the vehicle as 'just-in-case" door open method. A dozen vehicles and 30 years later it's time for the latest one to get a hidden key.
Sponsored

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I leave my truck running with a bunch of dogs inside when I go into stores a lot. They like AC and radio and I have to keep the windows up, because some idiot will stick their hand in to pet them. I'd prefer to have an extra door key so I can lock it.
I had to do this a couple times this summer in a pinch so I tested something out with great success. I have a 2019 XLT and with the truck running/key in ignition I was able to lock and unlock the truck with the ford pass app. Not sure if this will work with a Lariat and obviously an old school door key would be preferred but the trick has worked multiple times for me.

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I thought our Key Fobs had a key tucked inside?
I just changed the dual batteries in the wife's key fob (2017 Mustang) and it has a key in there.
hqdefault.jpg

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
A feature I miss from my previous Ford is the keyless entry keypad on the door. Where I live, most of the places I tend to go where I'd like to not take the key with me lack cell signals, so unlocking (or pre-warming) from the app are not reliable options. I just take the fob.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
A feature I miss from my previous Ford is the keyless entry keypad on the door. Where I live, most of the places I tend to go where I'd like to not take the key with me lack cell signals, so unlocking (or pre-warming) from the app are not reliable options. I just take the fob.
it's pretty easy to slap one after purchase

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
like this?

I'm fairly certain these are limited to Lariat models only (maybe those with keyless entry, can't recall if that's part of a technology package or something for the lower trims (XLT/XL)), my Mustang was similar, but my Ranger key requires I use it to use the ignition, so the key is on a hinge as part of the fob and cannot be removed non destructively.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I had to do this a couple times this summer in a pinch so I tested something out with great success. I have a 2019 XLT and with the truck running/key in ignition I was able to lock and unlock the truck with the ford pass app. Not sure if this will work with a Lariat and obviously an old school door key would be preferred but the trick has worked multiple times for me.
Great tip and I may look into that, but I don't live somewhere with reliable internet or phone service. Hell. the electric isn't even consistent.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
My fob looks a little different. Hers even differenter...
I'll see if I can snag a pic.
Nope my fob has no key in it. Wife's does. But I checked in the Key Vault where we keep out spare keys and it came with a stand alone key that isn't part of a fob.

OP
OP
Murph

Murph

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
customer service
IMG_1040.jpg

OP
OP
Murph

Murph

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
customer service
UPDATE@@@@@@@@UPDATE@@@@@@@@@@UPDATE@@@@@@@@@UPDATE@@@@@@@

Today, I did it!!!!! TOTAL Cost $27.
Bought Transponder key new (online) for $20, plus tax and shipping.
Walked in an hour before closing asked if they cut keys. They did it for free!
Then they told me how to program. You need both keys came w/ the truck. I have the switch blade style. With the door unlocked, place #1 original key in, turn to on, allow 2 dings.....switch off, pull out. Place #2 O. key in, turn to on, allow 2 dings, switch off, pull out.
Place new key in, same process, then doors lock and unlock by itself, showing new key has been processed.

Boom!

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's Jag F-Pace has a cool waterproof wrist band that acts as a key fob. It activates when you lock the keys in the car with the wrist band out of the car. We use it all the time when going to the beach. Upon return to the vehicle you simply place the wrist band near the J in Jaguar on the rear hatch and it unlocks the car. I don't know why more vehicles don't have this type of feature.
Might be nice instead of all the unnecessary turn-your-truck-into-a-car tech they come with now. Remember when a truck was a truck?

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
UPDATE@@@@@@@@UPDATE@@@@@@@@@@UPDATE@@@@@@@@@UPDATE@@@@@@@

. . .

Boom!
Murph, Thanks for the instructions. I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm. I bought a fob from Amazon and paid a local locksmith $85 for the laser cut. He offered to program it for me for another $50, but I politely declined.

I needed this third key and you saved me a bundle of money. Thank you sir.

OP
OP
Murph

Murph

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
customer service
Thanks for letting me know! I'm glad I could help at least one person. I did another back up key, myself. I actually went back to the original dealership and they cut my second key for free and were sad, I didn't need their $85 service to program it. I hate being petty about it. But it really makes me wonder, what other add on's they want to charge me for, for whatever the future brings me with this service department.

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019.5 Ford Ranger XLT CPR
Occupation
Retired LEO/Retired Military/Doctoral Student
Funny story: I was doing the house's grocery shopping (as any good retired-first husband would do...) and purchased ice cream for a birthday party later in the week. Left my key fob in the console like I did with my Edge, F-150 and 4 Escapes (the latter leases waiting for the Ranger) and pressed Ford-Pass. Two hours later, Ford was able to move a satellite (with permission from the CIA & NSA, of course!) and I got in. Yep, I ate the half-gallon on the way home.
Next time, just got off train in freezing cold rain from a night class. Cold, wet and hungry. Ford-Pass would not work. Thanks to the manager of the local CVS store to stay open for me, till my wife brought the spare. There will NOT be a third time....!

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
When I had my 3rd fob programed and the inside key cut, I had the locksmith make me a Valet key.

It will set off the alarm just like the one on the fob, but, I can carry it in my luggage when on a trip and be able to get in the vehicle to access the hidden fob and battery inside.

On my Harley there is a pin I can program in to simulate the fob, but, it's a pain to do each time you start it. But, It would get you home.

IMG_0195.jpeg
Sponsored