How Bad is the Nanny?

Rod f.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Hey all - first post, so please be kind :)

I really want to get a Ranger, but I'm a little wary of getting another 'connected' truck with a lot of tech.

If you've had your Ranger for a while, could you let me know how bad the nanny is?

My Canyon drives me a little crazy:
It has the collision warnings that would go off when I'd hit dips in the road, so I turned those off. (That's fine... I get it)
It has the 'lane keep' warnings that I could turn off pretty easily. (Alrighty, sure, some people can't drive straight)

I'd hike across the snow-filled parking lot, scrape off the truck, then have to dismiss the big message across the instrument cluster "WARNING ICE POSSIBLE, DRIVE WITH CAUTION". (*sigh*)

Randomly, WHILE DRIVING, a paragraph-long warning pops up in the center console about how bad distracted driving is and not to look at the screen. Press OK to dismiss. (You can change the language to French if you want)

The truck has OnStar/LTE modem, which I never paid into, so I get to hear ONSTAR ADVIRTISEMENTS, loud and clear through the sound system, every few weeks. SERIOUSLY?!?

I'll drive the kids to school, and then after I turn the truck off another message comes up to "not forget items in the back seat".... ;)

It wasn't that annoying at first... but hundreds of the 'no-duh' messages wears on ya.

Since most of these 'Easter Eggs' appeared long after the test drive... I'm curious:
What sort of stuff does the Ranger do?

Thanks for time!
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Collision warnings can be turned off
Lane Keep Assist can be turned off
Auto Stop/Start can be turned off
I've not heard any advertisements or anything like what you describe for OnStar

The worst thing I can think of is the notice something about sharing location info - which only comes up when I don't have my phone with me. And it can be turned off. There was also the "update" warning on Sync 3 that kept coming up but that got fixed with a Sync3 update.

I think a majority of the "nanny" stuff can be turned off if so desired - or at least turned down so it isn't quite as annoying.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Pre collision and lane keep can be easily turned off, two messages that pop up on center display when you start truck. Fact of the matter is your not going to purchase a new truck without these features anymore. But I think some of the members have disabled the messages via forscan or service test mode, it’s on a thread somewhere just can’t remember which

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As others have said you can turn off what you don't like and you can set the sensitivity to 3 different levels. Today I finally had my pre collision warning go off and it worked like it should. I have mine set high because people here drive like idiots and no one seems to know how to use a blinker!

Lane assist is activated by the button on the end of the blinker arm. You don't have to re-set this every time you key your ignition. Only the start/stop feature you do but there's a thread on here on how to deactivate it.

I never had any of these features on my Tacoma and wasn't sure if I'd like them but after using them for the past 5 weeks I wouldn't own another truck without them.

Formula Indy

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have experience with Jeep and several different versions of Mercedes safety tech. The lane departure warnings and lane keep assist in the Ranger I hardly ever notice. The Jeep even on soft settings were much more abrupt. The new Mercedes lane centering works much better and is a whole differently designed system. The adaptive cruise on the Ranger is more aggressive then my other cars. In fact, I often think it doesn't slow down soon enough in certain situations. I often have it set at two spots in heavier traffic and I have never done that on any other cars. I have yet to have a collision warning in my Ranger. In my opinion, I like the way the Ranger is set up. It is more of a safety net than an active part of the driving experience.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said you can turn off what you don't like and you can set the sensitivity to 3 different levels. Today I finally had my pre collision warning go off and it worked like it should. I have mine set high because people here drive like idiots and no one seems to know how to use a blinker!
I beg to differ with you Mr. Scorpion. We here in Florida have the distinction of having the most idiot drivers in the nation. Blinkers actually cause crashes here because it signals to the person behind you to speed up to cut you off. Matter of fact, they are now offering a turn signal delete option on new cars sold at all car dealerships in the state, It's a safety thing.
;)

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I love all the "Nanny Stuff" on my truck. Set it to the level you want and it works great. As stated by others most if not all can be disabled. Also if you really don't want it don't get the tech package as an option. I think you should get it and you won't be disappointed. Best of luck!

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Hey all - first post, so please be kind :)

I really want to get a Ranger, but I'm a little wary of getting another 'connected' truck with a lot of tech.

If you've had your Ranger for a while, could you let me know how bad the nanny is?

My Canyon drives me a little crazy:
It has the collision warnings that would go off when I'd hit dips in the road, so I turned those off. (That's fine... I get it)
It has the 'lane keep' warnings that I could turn off pretty easily. (Alrighty, sure, some people can't drive straight)

I'd hike across the snow-filled parking lot, scrape off the truck, then have to dismiss the big message across the instrument cluster "WARNING ICE POSSIBLE, DRIVE WITH CAUTION". (*sigh*)

Randomly, WHILE DRIVING, a paragraph-long warning pops up in the center console about how bad distracted driving is and not to look at the screen. Press OK to dismiss. (You can change the language to French if you want)

The truck has OnStar/LTE modem, which I never paid into, so I get to hear ONSTAR ADVIRTISEMENTS, loud and clear through the sound system, every few weeks. SERIOUSLY?!?

I'll drive the kids to school, and then after I turn the truck off another message comes up to "not forget items in the back seat".... ;)

It wasn't that annoying at first... but hundreds of the 'no-duh' messages wears on ya.

Since most of these 'Easter Eggs' appeared long after the test drive... I'm curious:
What sort of stuff does the Ranger do?

Thanks for time!
I had a 16 colorado and it always had some strange warnings not to mention the stupid Onstar ad to get you to subscribe. I didn't even have the lane keeping or collision options back then.

I have the Lariat and being able to adjust the collision alerts/sensitivity is nice... it will sometimes beep/flash when I'm not nearly as close as other times I think it should beep/flash but it rarely comes on. I do wish the blind spot monitoring was better... yes, the light in the mirror goes on but I never understood why manufacturers put those in the mirror... one reason I liked what they did with the ridgeline was the light is inside the vehicle and makes you look at the mirror if it comes on... whereas when it's in the mirror, you're already looking... I get it, it lets you know, when you're already looking at the mirror, that there may be something in the blind spot.. just wish that was better designed.... regardless, I try to turn my head and assume the light isn't there..

My Colorado had rear camera but no sensors front or rear... with the ranger I can park in the garage and I don't need the stupid handing tennis ball anymore lol.

OP
OP

Rod f.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Yeah, maybe my issue is that I cannot tailor these settings the way that I'd like. Every time its cold out, put groceries in the back, or just drive down the road, I'm interrupted with messages I have to 'accept' to clear off the screens. Surprised there's not a EULA to accept prior to driving XD

I totally get that if I'm a new, exhausted, parent, I might want the reminder about the back seat... But I've got 2 pre-teens and there's NO WAY to forget they're in the truck :)

I've seen the Tech Package on some window stickers.... Maybe I'll look into that some more.

Thanks!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yeah, maybe my issue is that I cannot tailor these settings the way that I'd like. Every time its cold out, put groceries in the back, or just drive down the road, I'm interrupted with messages I have to 'accept' to clear off the screens. Surprised there's not a EULA to accept prior to driving XD

I totally get that if I'm a new, exhausted, parent, I might want the reminder about the back seat... But I've got 2 pre-teens and there's NO WAY to forget they're in the truck :)

I've seen the Tech Package on some window stickers.... Maybe I'll look into that some more.

Thanks!
You signed the EULA at the dealership with the financing paperwork... I can't wait until someone figures out a way to disable the cell modem (after they stop giving the features for "free")

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I love all the nanny stuff especially the Adaptive Cruise Control. Works great on long streets with a lot of lights.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
I love all the nanny stuff especially the Adaptive Cruise Control. Works great on long streets with a lot of lights.
I especially purchased it becuase of the "Nanny" stuff as I am aging and see this as my last truck. If you delve into the software it is "adjustable" I have mine all on and no false warmings come on like my my friends Toyota Rav. I can also easily turn the warnings off. So far so good.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I have to say I like all the nannies on my truck the only one that can be a pain in the arse sometimes is the auto high beam.
Sponsored