Is there any disadvantage to a SuperCab?

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
I took mine in for the recall. They did not give me new headrests.
It seems the headrests are only for those who fail the inspection, I would think.
Has anyone gotten new headrests after inspection?
The dealer ordered some for mine. TBD when parts show up.
Sponsored

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Other than space (cabin and bed), is there any disadvantage for the SuperCab?
Unless you are expecting to accommodate a 3rd passenger at some point, few, if any.

The B&O sound system (which is standard on the Lariat SuperCrew) is not available because there's no space for the extra speakers. I can't say I really miss it. (When I test-drove a SuperCrew with the B&O, I couldn't discern enough of a difference to sway me)

I love the SuperCab and never considered the SuperCrew. Our Ranger is used almost exclusively for towing our travel trailer in the summer and skiing in the winter. It's just my wife & I, so we have no need for more seats. First thing I did was pull the rear seat bottoms out. I don't understand the comments about difficulty of loading with the doors. I love the suicide doors and the ease of loading and unloading groceries or other cargo in the space, even in tighter parking spaces. If that's a problem, mine has a shell and I can just secure bigger stuff in the bed.

The extra foot of bed space is a definite plus.

SuperCabs outfitted as you might like are harder to find since SuperCrews are more dominantly popular. Mine was a swap with a dealer out of state.

If someone has a link for the seat delete parts, I'd love to have that. It would be nice to pull the seatbacks out and get an extra inch or so back there.

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
Totally love my Super Cab - I had 2006 F-150 Super Cab as well - if you don't have to carry passengers or want to torture the ones you do carry, then the SCAB is the way to go. I really like the additional bed length and am mainly by myself so it was the logical choice. My truck is also about 600-700 lbs (ish) lighter than my buddy's wife Ranger who has a 2020 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab. So for my situation, it's win-win.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
+You get to say things like, "I went to my Ford Dealer and picked one of his SCabs. He had a black one, but I picked the bright red one!"
In my case I had a choice of the white XL, or I could have picked the white XL/STX. The white STX won't have been bad, but I wanted the reverse sensors and the rear seat delete on mine. :)

Last edited:

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Sleeping in the bed is nice on camping trips.
Does your car chirp periodically like it is phoning home? almost like the humming noise before it remote starts. I've not camped out of the bed but imagine that would be irritating.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Does your car chirp periodically like it is phoning home? almost like the humming noise before it remote starts. I've not camped out of the bed but imagine that would be irritating.
I've camped in mine and don't hear it when I'm sleeping. The pump is up under the hood, not near the bed. I only hear those noises inside the garage where it is quiet and the walls help bounce the noise around.

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
I have the SuperCrew, I have no kids or pets, but I think I would really be annoyed if I didn't have my back seats for groceries and gear.

I have transported a 10ft kayak, a mattress, and a gun cabinet with no issue with the gate down in the 5ft bed.

I didn't have any choice when I purchased mine, was the only one available, would have purchased a SuperCab if that was what they had, can't go wrong either way.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Really? Huh. Did you pass the inspection? Ie you passed, and they said they're ordering headrests?
Passed the seatbelt, failed the rear seat child restraint. Dealer ordered parts, TBD when the parts show up. it took me a while to get appt to get truck in, so who knows when I’ll finish this.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Other than space (cabin and bed), is there any disadvantage for the SuperCab? Aren't they all rated the same for everything other than trim level and the cab size? I will be towing eventually.

Before I make a 30K+ mistake, any help is appreciated. I don't need 4door. 2021 xlt
As you mentioned, space (cabin or bed) is the one real difference.

One noticeable ”disadvantage” is the availability of certain aftermarket products, such as permanently mounted roof racks (Prinsu, Frontrunner), bed racks, running boards, window vents, fender flares (rears are different), and door mouldings.

These items can be unavailable, tough to source, or in limited inventory. Some aftermarket providers don’t distinguish between body styles so you can be left to assume it’s only available for Screws.

It’s not a big deal - I found the things I needed but sometimes there are fewer choices out there when it comes to accessorizing or modding Scabs.

Last edited: