Considering a SuperCab, Anybody Regret Buying a SuperCab?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Greetings all,
New member here and in the market for a 2020 Lariat 4x2, but I am torn between which body style, supercab or crew cab.
I really do not need a full 4 door truck and am wondering if any supercab owners are experiencing buyer's remorse about owning a supercab versus a crew cab.
Any advice/suggestions are welcome !
Sponsored

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
I had a tacoma.. 2008 I think it was... that was the same configuration and I hated that in order to get to the back seat area I had to open the full door to access the latch for the 1/2 door... That alone was always a pain for loading anything in the back seat... so 4 doors is the only way for me.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Greetings all,
New member here and in the market for a 2020 Lariat 4x2, but I am torn between which body style, supercab or crew cab.
I really do not need a full 4 door truck and am wondering if any supercab owners are experiencing buyer's remorse about owning a supercab versus a crew cab.
Super cab here...love it !

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I made a mistake when I bought a 2017 Tacoma! I traded my 2004 Ranger Access cab and bought a Tacoma Access cab version since it's what was like my Ranger. Even in the bigger Tacoma the back seats were useless, and the fold out rear doors sucked and I regretted not getting the 4 dr Crew Cab! I didn't make the same mistake when I bought my NEW Ranger! Loving the 4 doors and extra seating area for ocasional pasengers and other internal carried items.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Greetings all,
I think the biggest decision is: How often you need to transport more than 2 people and the size of the people going in the back seat vs your desire/need for the longer bed.

My wife is 5' so if we needed to do a drive into town (50 mile round trip), she could easily sit in the back if we had a taller passenger needing the front seat. I'd say up to 5'6" would be comfortable for that type of trip. She has a few inches between her knee and the back of the front seat with it all the way back.

Other consideration would be how annoying is it to open the front door to get to the back door. For some it is a problem, for others, like me, it doesn't register at all. But it's a consideration.

Potential rear-seat storage could also be a consideration, but again, you have to weight that vs your desire/need for the longer bed.

Personally, the supercab/long bed is the one decision I've been the most happy with.

CoMtnRanger

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger STX Supercab 4X4, 3" lift
Occupation
Engineer
Greetings all,
I like my Supercab, plus it's the only way to get the 6 foot bed. I don't plan to haul people near as often as cargo. You don't have to open the main door all the way to open the rear door, just about a foot or so will clear the door.

EKSU

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 White Platinum
I love my Lariat SuperCab, can't imagine ever getting the four door.

I mostly just drive with the old lady, and I just use the back to hang up my dry cleaning or to throw a duffel bag, occasionally hauling some friends who need a ride home after a night out.

Don't have any kids though, and I wanted the 6' bed.

Only thing that was a bummer I thought was that the Lariat SuperCrew gets more speakers than the XLT, but the speakers I think are the same for the SuperCab. Would love it if someone eventually investigated this, to see if there's any way to upgrade up to ten in the smaller cabin.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I view the back seats as the modern day equivalent of someone sitting in the bed because they're a kid or it's a short trip or it's an emergency. If you plan to routinely use the back seat you'll be disappointed, but if you view it primarily as a place to throw extra crap that either needs to be climate controlled or accessible from the front seat then it's great. If you'd seriously consider a standard cab if they still existed, the supercab is a no-brainer. No regrets.

You probably need to special order if you want a higher trim or options, they're like hens teeth on the lot.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only thing that was a bummer I thought was that the Lariat SuperCrew gets more speakers than the XLT, but the speakers I think are the same for the SuperCab. Would love it if someone eventually investigated this, to see if there's any way to upgrade up to ten in the smaller cabin.
This is the one thing that left me a little pissed at Ford. It's not Lariat that gives you the extra speakers, it's the 501A package. I have no problem with them not including that in the supercab because the sub physically won't fit behind the seat (there is no "behind the seat"). BUT ford charges the same price for 501A in the supercab and supercrew, even though the supercab doesn't get the speaker upgrade (or HD radio--and there's no good reason at all for that). A first world problem, but just seems like a shabby move by Ford.

mransr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT Convertible
In the almost 10 year I had my last ranger I just used the back seats for people maybe 2 or 3 times. With my new Ranger I find the extra foot of bed a lot more useful than the extra doors would be...but YMMV.

Last edited:

RangerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Past trucks include Ram 1500 R/T, Ram 1500, and Dodge Dakota, all regular cab, I think the extended cab is perfect. But with the 2nd vehicle being a car or SUV have never needed the back seats. The 6 foot bed is way more useful to me and I think the extended cab is better looking as well. But just my 2 cents.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
No regrets with the super cab here. I bought it as a work truck and have no use for the back seats. The first thing I did was to remove the back seats to make more room for storage. I love the fact that I do have doors to access said storage though (unlike my 2011 ranger extended cab). A 5 foot bed (crew cab) would be worthless for a work truck in my opinion.

20190728_182247.jpg

20190728_182304.jpg

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
We are bout over 60, and just the two of us, if we go with grandkids we can take our car, I wanted the 6 foot bed, bottom line. It is what I wanted

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
being able to do a quicky in the backseat is why i got the 4 door
Sponsored