First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I thought the same thing. The V6 badge looks exactly like the Tacoma badge. I guess someone did a swap or, more likely, they're embarrassed by people knowing they have an awesome turbo 4cyl. So silly.
As everyone here knows, the Ranger's 2.3 Ecoboost will run circles around the Taco's 4.0 V6.
Kinda like running a 1/4 mile, the Ranger will be on the return road while the Taco is still on the track.

I test drove a 2019 Taco equipped with that engine, power delivery was smooth, but anemic...I honestly thought it was a 4 cylinder, or I had left the parking brake engaged.

When the test was complete I rose the hood to verify it indeed was a 6 and told the salesperson that Toyota has somehow engineered a V6 that feels like a 4, she was not amused...

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Show me a V7 Ranger and I'll be impressed. Not til then.
Speaking of odd cylinder engines, I remember reading a story about a 5 cylinder Ford engine prototype from the '30's.

Seems as though 'ol Henry absolutely abhorred 6 bangers, so he directed his powerplant engineers to design and build a 5 cylinder inline.

While testing this engine on a stand, one engineer said that the engine shook and vibrated so badly that you did not want to be anywhere near it when it was running...lol

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
Did they release a v6 model and not notify anyone? Saw this driving down the freeway yesterday... Still had dealer plates on it.

IMG_1757 copy.png
Autozone special.
IMHO... I highly doubt it. Considering most manufacturers ( including ford ) are making PR statements about how soon they will be " all electric ". Probably not to busy scheming up new combustion engine designs...especially ones with more moving parts and potentially higher emissions to midigate.
Dodge and Jeep disagree.
Kind of like the 6.4ltr hemi badge on this 2 door jeep truck.?
20210311_185344.jpg
And there it is. Can get it from the factory for now. But not in the future. Let’s go Brandon.
https://www.jeep.com/wrangler/rubicon-392.html

Merica!!!!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Speaking of odd cylinder engines, I remember reading a story about a 5 cylinder Ford engine prototype from the '30's.

Seems as though 'ol Henry absolutely abhorred 6 bangers, so he directed his powerplant engineers to design and build a 5 cylinder inline.

While testing this engine on a stand, one engineer said that the engine shook and vibrated so badly that you did not want to be anywhere near it when it was running...lol
Tons of VW cars come with a 5 cyl. Even some fords recently had a Mazda 5cyl (European focus st pre 2013)

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I get ignorant comments at work from “V8 only” guys when they find out the Ranger has a 4cyl. Funny though… all mouth but only one guy sacked up and ran me in his hemi Ram and got walked. After that it got a little quieter. Lol

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I get ignorant comments at work from “V8 only” guys when they find out the Ranger has a 4cyl. Funny though… all mouth but only one guy sacked up and ran me in his hemi Ram and got walked. After that it got a little quieter. Lol
Stock, it’s a beast of a motor. I wish I didn’t need mine for work, I would build it like I did my focus st.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
It’s very impressive even stock. Tuned, it’s a blast. Makes me miss my focus RS when it wasn’t popping head gaskets. Lol.
Stock, it’s a beast of a motor. I wish I didn’t need mine for work, I would build it like I did my focus st.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
It is a stout 4 banger. I have a very aggressive 93 octane only tune with a high flow catted DP. I can hang with base 5.0s off the line and until shift from 2 to 3 then the weight and gearing catch up and they are gone. I have yet to have a truck take me. LOL. Mine is 4x4 also so a little more weight.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
Tons of VW cars come with a 5 cyl
I had a 2007 Rabbit with a 2.5L 5 banger. Power was fine, but the motor mounts were purposely looser to hide some of the vibrations. If you really got into it and didn't time the shift between 1st and second right, the whole drivetrain would swing back with a noticeable "thunk" when you shifted. There's an entire aftermarket world for stiffer motor mounts for those cars. I imagine they'd rattle your brains out.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tons of VW cars come with a 5 cyl. Even some fords recently had a Mazda 5cyl (European focus st pre 2013)
Acutely aware of that Sir, however this engine prototype dates back to the Thirties as I stated.

I don't think the engineers then were afforded with design/manufacturing methods available 40 or so years later...

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Mine is lifted on 33’s with a 93 tune. Haven’t been beat by a truck yet. Lol.

It is a stout 4 banger. I have a very aggressive 93 octane only tune with a high flow catted DP. I can hang with base 5.0s off the line and until shift from 2 to 3 then the weight and gearing catch up and they are gone. I have yet to have a truck take me. LOL. Mine is 4x4 also so a little more weight.

Rigwright

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Union Millwright (Retired)
This forum is fun when we talk trucks. I'm all for it, and that was my point all along. ???
20220212_212113.jpg
Sponsored