Is there any disadvantage to a SuperCab?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I mentioned that I had two Sport Tracs before. Both of them had the optional bed extender which was awful handy and I wouldn't consider getting a SCrew without one.

I'm too tall to sleep in the bed of even a SCab, I suppose I could curl up diagonally but that would leave very little room for Mrs. O, so we tent it when camping. Besides, I figure if I'm sleeping in the bed then that doesn't leave room for other stuff like beer, food, grille, beer, clothes, beer, and beer.

The Sin Rumbo channel on YouTube is a guy in South America with a nice setup in his Ranger although down there you can get a regular cab longbed. Has some good ideas though.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
SCab
+ You don't have to haul more than 1 other person on long trips
- you have to haul more stuff for your friends which means more to load and unload
+ less likely to try to unlock the wrong Ranger since there are fewer SCabs
- more options around various accessories for SCrew
+ holds more dirt, or mulch or whatever for your yard
- it's hard to get your friends to help unload all that extra dirt

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
SCab
+ You don't have to haul more than 1 other person on long trips
- you have to haul more stuff for your friends which means more to load and unload
+ less likely to try to unlock the wrong Ranger since there are fewer SCabs
- more options around various accessories for SCrew
+ holds more dirt, or mulch or whatever for your yard
- it's hard to get your friends to help unload all that extra dirt
+You get to say things like, "I went to my Ford Dealer and picked one of his SCabs. He had a black one, but I picked the bright red one!"

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Down side of the SCAB door configuration for me is that it makes loading groceries awkward when in a parking lot with other vehicles due to the rear suicide doors.
how does the suicide door make it harder in a parking lot? just that you have to open both doors to open the rear door? in practice i dont really feel its an issue. true, you have to open both doors and its awkward when there isnt a lot of room bw you and the next car, but a standard door is also awkwards if there is the same space.

we really like our supercab. i love not having a pillar and the two doors opening out together. for our purposes it is a far more convenient entry into the truck- you open it up and everything is all there, no working around the pillar, etc. for camping its fantastic- the whole cab just opens up to the outside world so you can get to stuff easier. no getting something out of the front, walking around to the other side of the rear door and getting stuff out of the back.

(obviously my wife and i dont need passengers in the rear, or as others have said- only kids and dogs will be happy back there for anything more than a quick jaunt around town.)

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Park out on the end where there's empty spots. Roll the cart right up to the side door. If you're loading with a car right next to you it kinda sucks squeezing through with the door open to get more bags.

I I get more than 2 or 3 bags I just put em in the back. I need a better divider though.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Did the SCAB recall every get the parts to release the SCABs for sale, or are all the new ones still on a sales hold? I guess you can get used, as long as it's private party or not from a dealer that has rules against selling with active recalls.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Did the SCAB recall every get the parts to release the SCABs for sale, or are all the new ones still on a sales hold? I guess you can get used, as long as it's private party or not from a dealer that has rules against selling with active recalls.
I haven't been notified about my parts, but I'm taking my Scab in for a Works Package next week and I'll ask.
There's a guy on another forum I'm on that says his dealer was notified the parts were on its way and should arrive early next week. He had been waiting for 5 months for his order to come in and when it did, the do not deliver order was in effect. So now it's been about 8 months. I'm guessing the Do-Not-Deliver order outs will get priority over we that have been driving around with killer headrests.
I took mine completely out along with the seat cushions shortly after I bought it. I never have passengers and I prefer the flatter load floor.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I removed the rear seats and built a storage/platform area for our 2 pups that travel with us.
But I do want the new updated head rests as I can convert back to factory seats in about 30 minutes....

IMG_20210814_132621719_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210816_102331711.jpg

IMG_20210817_094528928.jpg

IMG_20220119_132111798.jpg

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
how does the suicide door make it harder in a parking lot? just that you have to open both doors to open the rear door? in practice i dont really feel its an issue. true, you have to open both doors and its awkward when there isnt a lot of room bw you and the next car, but a standard door is also awkwards if there is the same space.

we really like our supercab. i love not having a pillar and the two doors opening out together. for our purposes it is a far more convenient entry into the truck- you open it up and everything is all there, no working around the pillar, etc. for camping its fantastic- the whole cab just opens up to the outside world so you can get to stuff easier.
The door gets in the way when parked next to a car due to reverse opening. It prevents accessibility to the cart full of groceries while the door is open because you are stuck behind it. I liked my SCAB, but this was the one down side for me although not the reason I replaced it with a SCREW. That was because I wanted a Tremor and couldn’t refuse the trade value last April.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
At least one member here has had their SCab delivered since the recall.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Even though the rear suicide doors are a disadvantage on a SCab in some ways, they are more convenient to having access to the whole cab area rather than having a portion of it blocked by the frame post on a regular opening door :) ...

Right side broad.jpg

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
The door gets in the way when parked next to a car due to reverse opening. It prevents accessibility to the cart full of groceries while the door is open because you are stuck behind it. I liked my SCAB, but this was the one down side for me although not the reason I replaced it with a SCREW. That was because I wanted a Tremor and couldn’t refuse the trade value last April.
I run into this issue all the time in parking lots. If a car is parked next to you, it's nearly impossible to get things into the back seats.
Sponsored