First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Even a 100 lb difference is tough to understand. What would the weight difference be? leather seats, LED lights???
Higher quality materials, power mirrors, sync or b&o system, subwoofer, power seats, bed liner, fx4 package adds weight, carpet, digital guages, sliding rear window, ect.
Sponsored

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
Full disclosure, my previous truck was a 2015 Tacoma so perhaps I'm still getting used to the 23 Ranger XL I got last week. The suspension on the base XL with stock wheels/tires seems awful tall, significant amount of room between the top of the tires and the bottom of the fenderwells. Wonder if Ford only made 1 suspension height that can cover everything from the base XL with stock wheels/tires to the FX-4 and other offroad packages with larger tires.

If it was a few inches lower I can't imagine it would hurt payload capacity, the tailgate would be lower, and the truck would have a tiny bit less aerodynamic drag.
THEY MADE IT TALL FOR THE OFF ROADERS BUT YES, I AGREE. DID YOU TEST DRIVE THE MAVERICK? I SUSPECT IT'S SOMEWHAT LOWER BUT I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE RANGER BETTER. I'M SURE YOU CAN GET IT CHOPPED, DIFFERENT LEAF PROFILE IN THE BACK

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I am absolutely fine with the bed height. I really don't know why people complain. Get a damn Ridgeline then.
I'm pretty sure there ain't a lick of difference between bed floor height of the Ranger and the Ridgeline. I remember checking one out in a Honda Showroom, and mentally comparing it to my 4G Ranger, thinking "Wow, it's kinda high... Guess that trunk space affects the height."

I had a hard time locating this particular spec, as it isn't commonly measured. But I managed to dig up the info, because I feel obligated to do what I can for my bros here on R5G.

The Ranger pickup bed floor is 33.1 inches above the ground. OMG!!! SOOOPER High! OMG!!!
But the Ridgeline is 32 to 35" (thread is from 2018)... Oops... Nevah mind...

So..... Internet WINS again! Haha!!!

Anyway, here's my sources. Don't shoot the messenger.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/ford_ranger_2021-vs-honda_ridgeline_2021
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/ridgeline-tailgate-load-height-from-ground.212918/

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I'm not 5'11, but very close. The factory Ranger was the perfect cab/seat height for me, until I added 3.5" lift and 2.5" on the tires. Now it's slightly too high for easy access. The bed height, was too high for reach ins over the side or tailgate, but I think most of that is bed depth, more so than box height and I wouldn't want to change that. The bed has a little less area than I'd like, the added depth helps off set the loss. Not being able to close the lid with these tall cans would be annoying.

Oz3mZ8r.jpg

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I'm pretty sure there ain't a lick of difference between bed floor height of the Ranger and the Ridgeline. I remember checking one out in a Honda Showroom, and mentally comparing it to my 4G Ranger, thinking "Wow, it's kinda high... Guess that trunk space affects the height."

I had a hard time locating this particular spec, as it isn't commonly measured. But I managed to dig up the info, because I feel obligated to do what I can for my bros here on R5G.

The Ranger pickup bed floor is 33.1 inches above the ground. OMG!!! SOOOPER High! OMG!!!
But the Ridgeline is 32 to 35" (thread is from 2018)... Oops... Nevah mind...

So..... Internet WINS again! Haha!!!

Anyway, here's my sources. Don't shoot the messenger.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/ford_ranger_2021-vs-honda_ridgeline_2021
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/ridgeline-tailgate-load-height-from-ground.212918/
So it must be the the height of the bed sides people bitch about. I wouldn't want them any lower, some of the stuff I throw back there barely fits under the tonneau cover.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Maybe we need warning labels on the Ranger. "WARNING! Some individuals may decide the vehicle is too tall for them. Please inspect in person before purchasing to decide if the Ranger is right for you."
Love the new avatar, KJ!

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
So it must be the the height of the bed sides people bitch about. I wouldn't want them any lower, some of the stuff I throw back there barely fits under the tonneau cover.
Very Likely.
Here's a neat photo.
Left to right: Honda, Ford, Chevy, Jeep.
Amazing how much height variation there is (not...).
It looks to me, (from this angle...) that the bed floor heights (from the ground) are all about the same, within a couple of inches. There is a much more noticeable variation of the height of the SIDES of the bed.

1675476619848.png

Note: Photo is from the following article:
https://www.cars.com/articles/range...n-which-has-the-best-bed-and-tailgate-409453/

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Very Likely.
Here's a neat photo.
Left to right: Honda, Ford, Chevy, Jeep.
Amazing how much height variation there is (not...).
It looks to me, (from this angle...) that the bed floor heights (from the ground) are all about the same, within a couple of inches. There is a much more noticeable variation of the height of the SIDES of the bed.

1675476619848.png

Note: Photo is from the following article:
https://www.cars.com/articles/range...n-which-has-the-best-bed-and-tailgate-409453/
Yeah, looks like the Ridgeline has more rear window area.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
My Ranger parked behind a Ford F250 diesel 4X4 Super Duty. Bed height is higher on Ranger. Look at the bottom of passenger door, the height is about the same. Roof height isn't that much different in person either. This picture makes the factory rake on my truck look more pronounced.

Different trucks for different purposes. Mine is a daily driver (before I retired), his is rarely driven & used to tow his BBQ trailer that isn't very heavy.

1675479852397.png

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Same location, different comparison truck.
4x2 Tacoma in front of my Ranger. Ranger view was blocled by pole & sign so I drew a red line for the body panel and a black line for the curb. The body is slightly higher than a 4X2 Tacoma, roof height is above the Tacoma, bed height is way higher. Different trucks for different uses.

Sorry my truck is a twerker and it's not ashamed.

1675484739360.png

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
My Ranger parked behind a Ford F250 diesel 4X4 Super Duty. Bed height is higher on Ranger. Look at the bottom of passenger door, the height is about the same. Roof height isn't that much different in person either. This picture makes the factory rake on my truck look more pronounced.

Different trucks for different purposes. Mine is a daily driver (before I retired), his is rarely driven & used to tow his BBQ trailer that isn't very heavy.

1675479852397.png
FWIW, the Ranger bed sides are also taller than competitors. Lots of aftermarket bits will fit the Taco and GM twins, but not the Ranger for this reason. Camper shells, Alucabs, etc. have to be designed for the ranger to accommodate the taller bed sides and tailgate.

I have a camper shell on my truck because my Ranger is an adventure vehicle/daily and I do not need the bed space for work.

I believe Factory Rake is intentional to give more useable payload capacity. My Ranger is on Heavy Duty leafs now and I would have to consider smaller tires if I needed the bed for work.
Sponsored