Is it a mistake to not take the 4WD option?

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I live an hour from the Gulf. Rarely get freeze warnings, so snow, ice and slippery roads are not an issue for me. But I kayak fish the Gulf every weekend and that sometimes requires me to go miles down dirt roads to get to a launch point. Sometimes after bad weather those dirt roads get water covered muddy areas or deep holes due to traffic on the road. I carry a tow strap in my F-150 so I can pull my fishing buddies in their 2WD trucks out if they get stuck. We launch from sandy shores or sometimes off a slippery steep boat ramp and that 4WD comes in handy for me even though I rarely use it except for fishing trips.

To me getting the 4WD was a no brainer. But like others have stated, it all depends on your unique use of the vehicle and where you live.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I’m planning on getting a 2wd as well. More expensive vehicles always lose more value over time. But my main reasons are
Easier maintenance, better mileage, less insurance costs and lower bed height.
As far as maintenance, things like oil changes are more complicated if you have to deal with removing skid plates. Also brake jobs can be more complicated and the extra maintenance and more to go wrong with cv boots. Plus some vehicles are temperamental about tire sizes all being the same. If you get to 50 percent tread life and get a nail in the sidewalk can you replace just two tires or do you need to do all 4? These modern computer aided high tech systems are more sensitive.
I don't think the bed height is any lower on the Ranger.

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I live in Florida, so it's pretty much just a want. I suppose it could be useful while driving on the beach from time to time. I just like the stance of a 4x4 and the look of the exposed skid/bash plate in front of the FX4.
The stance is the same. Only the sticker and the bash plate will give it away that its a 4WD. Ride height is exactly the same. On the regular 4X4 versus 4X2 only the sticker would show "others" that you paid the 4K extra for 4WD.

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I'll say that I've got my 02' ranger that's 2wd and haven't had any issues kayaking, going on dirt trails, or in deep snow. Got my 19' ranger 2wd in last weekend w/ a e-locker just in case, but nothing indicates to me that i'm missing out on 4wd unless i'm going deep off-road in piss poor weather, or mudding.

Lock up the rear and have the right tires for you application and I think you're fine.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3, 2011 Hyundai Tucson, 1994 VW Corrado SLC
I think a lot depends on where you live. If you live somewhere that has significant weather and most people seem to value 4wd/AWD, your resale will likely be weaker with the 2wd truck. If you lived in SoCal, I don't think it would matter nearly as much, for example, compared if you lived in Maine. The blanket statement of more features equals worse depreciation is simply not accurate. Some features add or maintain value---4wd in a truck can be one of those.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a pickup without 4wd since I live in an area that can get weather. Trucks have a very light rear-end when the bed is empty, so something like sand bags and snow tires would be a must in snowy areas if you stick with 2wd. Having driven my old Mustang GT and M3 (both rwd with LSD), it's definitely night and day in the snow with winter tires (I had/have a set for both cars). In contrast, our Tucson which is AWD and all seasons is perfectly adequate as is. I also live in a hilly area (both the driveway and neighborhood).

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
I get all kinds of weather being from PA. My first 2 trucks were 2X4 and I regretted getting them. When it snowed "just a couple of inches" I had to load the bed with significant weight to gain any traction. When I got the 4X4 option I went through 30" of snow without a bat of the eye. For me 4X4 is an essential option.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I get all kinds of weather being from PA. My first 2 trucks were 2X4 and I regretted getting them. When it snowed "just a couple of inches" I had to load the bed with significant weight to gain any traction. When I got the 4X4 option I went through 30" of snow without a bat of the eye. For me 4X4 is an essential option.
Yep, same here (i'm in the Buffalo NY area...and sometimes get crapload of snow), and I won't drive my WWII Jeep in the winter due to salty roads (and I'll probably cry when I have to take my new truck out in the salt).

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, same here (i'm in the Buffalo NY area...and sometimes get crapload of snow), and I won't drive my WWII Jeep in the winter due to salty roads (and I'll probably cry when I have to take my new truck out in the salt).
But your 2019 Ranger will have a LOT better protection from the salt than that WWII Jeep does. It is pretty amazing how well the new vehicles hold up to the salt. Especially compared to stuff from the 70's. I remember my uncle bought a brand new Dodge Dart sometime in the 70s, and in 4 years the fenders were rusting thru due to the salt. 4 years!!! That is pretty crazy....

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
But your 2019 Ranger will have a LOT better protection from the salt than that WWII Jeep does. It is pretty amazing how well the new vehicles hold up to the salt. Especially compared to stuff from the 70's. I remember my uncle bought a brand new Dodge Dart sometime in the 70s, and in 4 years the fenders were rusting thru due to the salt. 4 years!!! That is pretty crazy....
Yeah, but my WWII jeep body is about 10 times thicker than todays bodies. I can stand on my front fender and it doesn't budge or oil can. That said, my '02 Ranger paint looked beautiful when I sold it last September...no signs of rust cancer...until you looked underneath.

Since I retired I try not to drive on snowy salty days but somehow my Doctor or Dentists appointments always seem to fall on crappy driving days. I swear, Murphy loves to screw with me.....lol...

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but my WWII jeep body is about 10 times thicker than todays bodies. I can stand on my front fender and it doesn't budge or oil can. That said, my '02 Ranger paint looked beautiful when I sold it last September...no signs of rust cancer...until you looked underneath.

Since I retired I try not to drive on snowy salty days but somehow my Doctor or Dentists appointments always seem to fall on crappy driving days. I swear, Murphy loves to screw with me.....lol...
Yea I don't care for driving mine in snow either!!!!

IMG_1702.JPG

DSC_0008.jpg

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Everyones needs are different, but Id say if you were going to buy a 4x2, than the FX4 would not be needed, IMO.

I knew I was buying off the lot when they started to arrive and most were Lariat FX4s showing up early, then the one I ended up buying showed, right time, right place,minus spray in and FX4...I didnt hesitate. With the 4x4 capability Im sure it will be fine and likely 9 out of my 10 last trucks did not have it and I used to do a lot more serious off road than I do now. YMMV

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
if you're getting a 4x4 equipped Ranger, is the FX4 package necessary?
What you'd be missing without getting the FX4 package:
• Off-Road Tuned Suspension (can be fixed with aftermarket suspension anyway)
• 17-inch or 18-inch Off-Road OWL Tires
• Electronic-locking Rear Differential (3.73) (is equipped with rear locker)
• Exposed Front Tow Hooks (can bolt on factory parts if you want)
• Exposed Steel Bash Plate (can bolt on factory parts if you want)
• Off-Road Screen in Cluster – provides feedback on pitch and roll, plus steering angle (most likely can be added with ForScan)
• Front Air Dam Delete (can bolt on factory parts if you want)
• Skid Plates – Fuel Tank, Transfer Case, and Front Differential (can bolt on factory parts if you want)
• Terrain Management System™ (not sure how solvable this will be with Forscan as the button is missing)
• Trail Control™ (MAYBE solvable with Forscan?)
• 4x4 "FX4 Offroad" Bodyside Decal (who cares)

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Everyones needs are different, but Id say if you were going to buy a 4x2, than the FX4 would not be needed, IMO.

I knew I was buying off the lot when they started to arrive and most were Lariat FX4s showing up early, then the one I ended up buying showed, right time, right place,minus spray in and FX4...I didnt hesitate. With the 4x4 capability Im sure it will be fine and likely 9 out of my 10 last trucks did not have it and I used to do a lot more serious off road than I do now. YMMV
That's what I'm thinking, if I only could afford 4x2 with rear locker, then 4x4 with rear locker is all I need.
What you'd be missing without getting the FX4 package:
• Off-Road Tuned Suspension (can be fixed with aftermarket suspension anyway)
• 17-inch or 18-inch Off-Road OWL Tires
• Electronic-locking Rear Differential (3.73) (is equipped with rear locker)
• Exposed Front Tow Hooks (can bolt on factory parts if you want)
• Exposed Steel Bash Plate (can bolt on factory parts if you want)
• Off-Road Screen in Cluster – provides feedback on pitch and roll, plus steering angle (most likely can be added with ForScan)
• Front Air Dam Delete (can bolt on factory parts if you want)
• Skid Plates – Fuel Tank, Transfer Case, and Front Differential (can bolt on factory parts if you want)
• Terrain Management System™ (not sure how solvable this will be with Forscan as the button is missing)
• Trail Control™ (MAYBE solvable with Forscan?)
• 4x4 "FX4 Offroad" Bodyside Decal (who cares)
  • Off-Road Tuned Suspension - Saved $$$ for aftermarket suspension
  • 17-inch or 18-inch Off-Road OWL Tires - Saved $$$ for aftermarket tires (BFG K02s)
  • Electronic-locking Rear Differential (3.73) - Optioned already
  • Exposed Front Tow Hooks - Could have sworn it has them
  • Exposed Steel Bash Plate - $165 in parts
  • Off-Road Screen in Cluster - This I would miss
  • Front Air Dam Delete - See steel bash plate
  • Skid Plates – Fuel Tank, Transfer Case, and Front Differential - Don't need, but I would miss them
  • Terrain Management System™ - This I would miss
  • Trail Control™ - This I would miss
  • 4x4 "FX4 Offroad" Bodyside Decal - Don't care
All and all the FX4 package adds things I want (mainly software and skid plates), and things I don't (Hankook tires & FX4 Suspension). I'll need to think about it.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
-Suspension, true
-Tires, mine came with the same AT 18', without the white letters(option)
- Locking Diff.- true
-Tow hooks, there are 2 sticking out the front of my Sport package, looksl the same as FX4
- Fancy bash plate- true, but there are steel plates infront and behind the air dam as well as gas tank, maybe lighter gauge?

The rest is true, except bash plates as above. Mine is a heavily optioned Lariat Sport package, so it has a few extras, but not FX4
Sponsored