RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Once you have a 4WD truck you will wonder how you ever got around without it. I can't imagine a truck (if you want to do much of anything) without 4WD. I used to have a 2WD truck and got it stuck in our side yard because the grass was wet. 4WD was no problem - my brother had to pull me out with his 4WD - after that, I appreciated 4WD - even if you don't use it much, you will be glad you have it when you need it..
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Once you have a 4WD truck you will wonder how you ever got around without it. I can't imagine a truck (if you want to do much of anything) without 4WD. I used to have a 2WD truck and got it stuck in our side yard because the grass was wet. 4WD was no problem - my brother had to pull me out with his 4WD - after that, I appreciated 4WD - even if you don't use it much, you will be glad you have it when you need it..
I've had 4WD in fleet, but never on my own truck. I haven't ever needed or wanted 4WD.
Love to have limited slip though for towing ( locker is useless for my needs.)
Only question is whether the locker is limited slip when not engaged,
The code is X73 which would seem to be LS, but I can't get a reliable answer.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
I've had 4WD in fleet, but never on my own truck. I haven't ever needed or wanted 4WD.
Love to have limited slip though for towing ( locker is useless for my needs.)
Only question is whether the locker is limited slip when not engaged,
The code is X73 which would seem to be LS, but I can't get a reliable answer.
Floyd, I've contacted Ford regarding the rear axle codes they list for the Ranger in their RV & Trailer Towing Guide. I haven't seen an update to the Rangers codes (page 40 of the Guide). My understanding is that the standard rear axle is open, not limited slip.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Floyd, I've contacted Ford regarding the rear axle codes they list for the Ranger in their RV & Trailer Towing Guide. I haven't seen an update to the Rangers codes (page 40 of the Guide). My understanding is that the standard rear axle is open, not limited slip.
Thanks, I do understand that.
The 4WD truck which I drove had the (standard) Code 71 (open) rear differential.
A code 73 (not offered) is the limited slip. The code X73 is the locker.... see why I ask the question whether the locker is limited slip when NOT electrically engaged?
Its a Dana, and a nice new design it would seem, but hard to find good info on it.
Ford seems to think that their traction control system is a good substitute for a LS.

Last edited:

RussB

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 f 150
So, 2WD with an open differential is basically 1 wheel drive. 4WD with front and rear open differential is 2 wheels powered. 2 wheel drive with a locker is 2 wheels powered. Food for thought.
And, all season tires are NOT snow tires. I run studded snowies on both my wife's and daughters cars.

RussB

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 f 150
So, 2WD with an open differential is basically 1 wheel drive. 4WD with front and rear open differential is 2 wheels powered. 2 wheel drive with a locker is 2 wheels powered. Food for thought.
And, all season tires are NOT snow tires. I run studded snowies on both my wife's and daughters cars.
Wrong it has a Limited Slip Differential.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RussB, based on what Ford has released, the Ranger comes standard with an open style differential or optionally with an e-locker. There is nothing in published information that alludes to a LS differential.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
RussB, based on what Ford has released, the Ranger comes standard with an open style differential or optionally with an e-locker. There is nothing in published information that alludes to a LS differential.
When I said yes it means limited slip. Why don't people read the original post and can't extrapolate the new information is a ?? I can't explain.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I said yes it means limited slip. Why don't people read the original post and can't extrapolate the new information is a ?? I can't explain.
Nothing I have seen officially from Ford says its a LS differential. Can you reference where Ford states it is LS?
I wasn't initially responding to your post, but since you've quoted mine I'll ask you politely to back up your statement.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've also seen nothing from Ford regarding a limited slip differential being available in the Ranger. The two options I've see are open and electronic locker.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Nothing I have seen officially from Ford says its a LS differential. Can you reference where Ford states it is LS?
I wasn't initially responding to your post, but since you've quoted mine I'll ask you politely to back up your statement.
That's good actually. https://socialford.com click on first look 2019 ford ranger. Now we're done here.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
That's good actually. https://socialford.com click on first look 2019 ford ranger. Now we're done here.
I think your link is broke. Is this what you were talking about?

https://social.ford.com/en_US/story/vehicle-type/truck/first-look-at-the-2019-ford-ranger.html

"Power is distributed through a Dana® limited-slip differential on both 2WD and 4WD models."

I noticed in the same article it states "Driver and passengers can charge devices via available 400-watt, 110-volt AC power outlets and USB ports." but in the actual 2019 Ford Ranger Owners Manual it states "The power outlet temporarily turns off power when in fault mode if the device exceeds the 150 watt limit." So is the article right and it's a 400w outlet or is the owners manual correct at 150w?

Last edited:

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II