Is it a mistake to not take the 4WD option?

Discussion in 'General Ford Ranger Discussions' started by Jeffrey Davidson, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:41 AM.

Tags:
  1. Jeffrey Davidson

Jeffrey Davidson New Member

First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Vehicle(s):
    2007 Pontiac Vibe, 2013 Dodge Charger
    I've never been a "truck guy", and am considering this being my first. I have no plans to go off-roading or pull crazy heavy loads, but do live in a place that can get a little nasty in the winter. I think it'll be the typical "Pavement Princess".

When pricing this out, the 4WD option costs an extra $4000. Compared to the cars and crossovers that I'm used to that are half that price, that's a pretty tough pill to swallow. $4k seems awfully high, especially if there's no automatic kick-on.

Should I just look at picking up a set of snow-tires, and call it a day with a 2WD truck?

2. kep

kep Well-Known Member

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    2010 chevy 1500, 2019 Ranger on order
    Being from South Dakota that's what I have always done, because I was not willing to pay that extra $4,000. This time I am just because I can, but this will be the first 4wd I have ever had. :)

3. Pinecrestjim

Pinecrestjim Active Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2000 Miata SE, 2004 Deville
    If you stay with 4x2, definitely order the E-lock differential. I don't have snow to deal with in Southern Florida, but do have wet and/or slimy boat ramps to deal with. Originally I was going with 4x2 with E-lock, but changed to 4x4 so that I would never be "that guy" at the ramps.

One other consideration is that a 4x4 may be more desirable if you want to sell the truck before you wear it out.

Jeffrey Davidson likes this.
  4. kep

kep Well-Known Member

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    2010 chevy 1500, 2019 Ranger on order
    That 2010 chevy silverado in my sig has a locker in it, not a bad idea. But at trade the truck is worth about $4,000 less that a 4x4 so you don't really lose money on the 4x4 upgrade.

5. jsphlynch

jsphlynch Member

Vehicle(s):
    2003 Ford Ranger
    Jeffrey, the only car I've ever owned (well, except my wife's cars) has been the 2003 Ford Ranger with 2WD that I've been driving for 15 years. My use of this truck sounds similar to your plans for yours. It doesn't leave the pavement much, except for the occasional dirt road when camping, but I've live in some places that get some pretty good snowstorms.

With this experience, my plan for a new pickup is to save the money and get 2WD, though I will add on the locking differential and get a set of chains to carry with me during the winter.

Like any option, not having 4WD will decrease your resale value, if that's something you're concerned about. To get an estimate on the difference, I just checked Edmunds for valuation of a theoretical 2013 Toyota Tacoma with 75,000 miles, and the difference between 2WD and 4WD for an otherwise identical truck was ~$2300 for both trade-in and private party sale.

6. Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 F150 STX
    As long as I live where it snows I'll never own another 2wd again. I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.

rduvall, EcoRanger and DHare like this.
  7. Stumblios

Stumblios Member

First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle(s):
    2007 Ranger FX4 LVL II
    You know it comes down to your use. I live in southern Canada and I will always get 4x4 because in the winter there is always a moment when I need it. My father has 4x2 and in winter he has problems from time to time that 4x4 would solve. So I see it as need but I'm in the climate where it's good to have.

8. Stumblios

Stumblios Member

First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle(s):
    2007 Ranger FX4 LVL II
    If you do go 4x2 definitely get the rear locker. It would be a must.

9. StAugKid

StAugKid Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    I live in Florida, so it's pretty much just a want. I suppose it could be useful while driving on the beach from time to time. I just like the stance of a 4x4 and the look of the exposed skid/bash plate in front of the FX4.