First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
I fix Pink jeeps
Seems like your question has been answered. I will add that fx4 is a fun package to spring for. It’s not just rear locker and terrain management. You also get the trail control which is actually pretty functional. (This can’t be programmed in to my knowledge, likely needs a separate module or a different abs module). With all those tools available you’ll be able to go wherever you want confidently.
Sponsored

OHTREMOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I think always better to have 4x4 than not for re sale if nothing else. Plus I live in the snowy

bobobama

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Retired (and loving it!)
4X4- I don't need it so I don't have it. While I'm sure a lot of truck owners do need it and use it, there's probably just as many who buy it for the prestige, bragging rights or whatever you want to call it. Just like the lifted trucks that get used primarily as grocery getters (you see them in the parking lots all the time). Heaven forbid that should actually get dirty.

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
I'm firmly in the 4x4 camp, but I will play devil's advocate a little bit and say that a properly setup rear wheel drive vehicle is fine 99% of the time. I drove an 02 econoline van for years in CO. I lived over 9000ft and traversed snowy roads daily. With 4 good snow tires I was fine most of the time, even with an open diff. Never used my chains once (they luckily weren't required in the town I lived in). The kicker is that the van was always loaded to about 8500lbs. Weight = traction. In the summer I would drive on some pretty rough 4x4 roads as well, (paradise divide, Crested Butte CO) and definitely never needed 4x4 for that. I would have to stop where any stock vehicle would stop, just due to clearance issues.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I drove a RWD Ranger for over 16 years, with 10 of those years in the PNW. It got me everywhere I needed to go, including frequent trips over the Cascade Mountain passes in Washington in every kind of whether. The only time I really questioned whether I was going to make it where I was going was one time I was trying to go up Tiger Mountain (Hwy 18) in stop-and-go traffic and I hit freezing rain. One of the stops, I really had a hard time getting moving again, and couldn't get out of the way enough to safely chain up. Other than that I got everywhere I needed to go, although I always carried chains and was not shy about using them if the conditions warranted.

My point in bringing this up is that 4x4 is absolutely not necessary for me. However, my new Ranger is 4x4* and I'm happy that it is - it may not be necessary, but at times it sure is nice to have.

*Full disclosure, getting 4x4 was not my original plan. I was hoping to find RWD with locking diff, but was limited by what was on the lot. In the end, I'm very happy things didn't go according to plan.

OP
OP
jflogerzi

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I drove a RWD Ranger for over 16 years, with 10 of those years in the PNW. It got me everywhere I needed to go, including frequent trips over the Cascade Mountain passes in Washington in every kind of whether. The only time I really questioned whether I was going to make it where I was going was one time I was trying to go up Tiger Mountain (Hwy 18) in stop-and-go traffic and I hit freezing rain. One of the stops, I really had a hard time getting moving again, and couldn't get out of the way enough to safely chain up. Other than that I got everywhere I needed to go, although I always carried chains and was not shy about using them if the conditions warranted.

My point in bringing this up is that 4x4 is absolutely not necessary for me. However, my new Ranger is 4x4* and I'm happy that it is - it may not be necessary, but at times it sure is nice to have.

*Full disclosure, getting 4x4 was not my original plan. I was hoping to find RWD with locking diff, but was limited by what was on the lot. In the end, I'm very happy things didn't go according to plan.
Can you share why? I am going to order from Factory so and just not sure yet.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
When I had RWD: I could get where I needed to go, but it involved a lot of being very ginger with starts in the snow, especially when facing uphill, or even avoiding certain intersections I knew would be a little trickier. Also involved frequently needing to resort to chains.

With 4WD: Just takes a little twist of the dial, and no issues on any starts and haven't used chains since I bought it.

I think having the rear locker with RWD would get me through all those tricky starts, but I'd still end up chaining up anytime I faced serious snow. I'm in a financial position now where I can afford to splurge on things that may not be necessary but make life easier, and 4WD is one of those things.

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I know your area well and visit it often. Moreno Valley and surrounding area is a 4WD haven. You're surrounded by incredible places to go off road exploring.

I owned a 2WD F150 for years. I went exploring all over the desert and mountains with it. I put better tires on it to cope with off road terrain. I got away with not getting stuck often. But only because I limited where I would drive to. And therein lies the rub. You can get away with 2WD only with locker most of the time. Until you suddenly can't and you're stuck and having to extricate yourself. Or you simply don't go places where you know you need 4WD.

At the very least just get the FX4 package if you can swing it. It has the rear locker, the terrain modes, and skid plates. If you can't swing it, get the 4WD with trailer tow package. Replace the shocks with quality shocks later as others have suggested. But if you're even asking the question of whether you should go for only 2WD or 4WD, and searching for justification to just go 2WD, you already answered your own question: GET THE 4WD.

OP
OP
jflogerzi

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I know your area well and visit it often. Moreno Valley and surrounding area is a 4WD haven. You're surrounded by incredible places to go off road exploring.

I owned a 2WD F150 for years. I went exploring all over the desert and mountains with it. I put better tires on it to cope with off road terrain. I got away with not getting stuck often. But only because I limited where I would drive to. And therein lies the rub. You can get away with 2WD only with locker most of the time. Until you suddenly can't and you're stuck and having to extricate yourself. Or you simply don't go places where you know you need 4WD.

At the very least just get the FX4 package if you can swing it. It has the rear locker, the terrain modes, and skid plates. If you can't swing it, get the 4WD with trailer tow package. Replace the shocks with quality shocks later as others have suggested. But if you're even asking the question of whether you should go for only 2WD or 4WD, and searching for justification to just go 2WD, you already answered your own question: GET THE 4WD.
I decided on the 2WD and FX2. I think for what I want to do is more around camping and just getting out there but nothing extreme.(I want to bring the kido's) After all it will be my daily driver. If the serious off-roading bug hits me then I will need to choose dedicated off-roader built for just that or track driving with my Scion. I can't afford both :p

I appreciate all the input from everyone.

PS Snice I am ordering it, I can get the 2WD with FX2 unicorn package

Last edited:
Reactions: OCL

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i think it will serve you well

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
So 4x4 with locker option and skip the FX package would be the best combo. As most say the stock FX shocks are not great.
The FX4 "terrain management" package is a cheap add-on to do yourself. I added it to my 4x4 for $55. No need to get the package if that is all you want. But, the extra skid plates may make it worth it the upgrade.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The FX4 "terrain management" package is a cheap add-on to do yourself. I added it to my 4x4 for $55. No need to get the package if that is all you want. But, the extra skid plates may make it worth it the upgrade.
DIY is only possible if you have a Windows computer, OBD II adapter, Forscan license, blah blah blah. Don't have any of that, don't want it, certainly won't spend money on it.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
DIY is only possible if you have a Windows computer, OBD II adapter, Forscan license, blah blah blah. Don't have any of that, don't want it, certainly won't spend money on it.
I hear ya...borrowed a WinDoze computer and the ODB adapter was cheap enough and the Forscan license was free, so all in all a much better value than getting an FX4 package. Plus if/when I do upgrade to the next Ranger, it will add more value than I paid for it. At least that's the theory I sold my wife. Don't go blowing my cover.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
So 4x4 with locker option and skip the FX package would be the best combo. As most say the stock FX shocks are not great.
Agree…I ordered my ‘20 Lariat in 4x4 w/locker. No FX4 package. Rides great and the off road/snowmaggedan assist is there if needed.
Sponsored