Is it a mistake to not take the 4WD option?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
-Suspension, true
-Tires, mine came with the same AT 18', without the white letters(option)
- Locking Diff.- true
-Tow hooks, there are 2 sticking out the front of my Sport package, looksl the same as FX4
- Fancy bash plate- true, but there are steel plates infront and behind the air dam as well as gas tank, maybe lighter gauge?

The rest is true, except bash plates as above. Mine is a heavily optioned Lariat Sport package, so it has a few extras, but not FX4
So you don't feel like your missing out on the FX4 package?
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford X Plan price for the FX4 Package is $1,228 ($1,295 invoice).

Itemized list I would need to purchase:
  • Rear e-locker - $399 X Plan ($420 invoice)
  • Front Skid plate/front air dam delete - $165
  • Front tow hooks - $0
  • Tires - $234.99/tire for LT255/65R17 BFG K02, I would buy when the factory set needs replacing
  • FORScan dongle - $30

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If you aren't planning on really off roading much, I don't think you will miss it. 2 of my Rangers didn't have the FX4 package (that was obviously before the technology stuff was available). I only purchased it for the skid plates really. Don't think I will use trail control - might use the terrain management system however.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I dont think so, I had 2 80,s rangers a 92 explorer and 2 sport tracs that were all lifted and heavily off roaded and i think only the one Trac had it, So i think I,ll manage just fine with out it even in most off road situations.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I enjoyed the Terrain Management as the witchery it does with the throttle response is actually quite awesome. I've only used the trail control (cruise control) once, and it was neat. I can see myself using it downhills or when camping. I do a decent amount of back woods fishing, and I wanted to avoid wishing I had something like the exact purpose of this thread :)

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
While the Terrain Management would have been cool to play with, and skid plates just for some added protection for the ladders occasionally found on the Expressways around here, I didn't want a stiff suspension and harsher ride for what will be almost exclusively paved road use. So, I did not opt for the FX4 package.

Like already asked, how will you primarily use the truck? If you are one who will be in the woods a lot or are a member of a 4 wheeling club in some serious terrain country, you might be better off to wait and get what you want. If those conditions are something you "think" you may want to try out on occasion, is the extra cost really worth it?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While the Terrain Management would have been cool to play with, and skid plates just for some added protection for the ladders occasionally found on the Expressways around here, I didn't want a stiff suspension and harsher ride for what will be almost exclusively paved road use. So, I did not opt for the FX4 package.

Like already asked, how will you primarily use the truck? If you are one who will be in the woods a lot or are a member of a 4 wheeling club in some serious terrain country, you might be better off to wait and get what you want. If those conditions are something you "think" you may want to try out on occasion, is the extra cost really worth it?
Truthfully I don’t need 4x4 living in a big urban city, it’s more of a want than a need. And while I would never need half the stuff that comes with the FX4 package, when you’re already spending $4,000 on the optional 4x4, what’s another $1,295 for the FX4?

I have to relax and stop second guessing myself, there’s a reason I ordered 4x2.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
I have to relax and stop second guessing myself, there’s a reason I ordered 4x2.
I am in the same spot. Had 4x4s up north and appreciated them in the snow, but the only time I used 4x4 was in the snow. 99% of the time all of them were in 2wd. Live down south now and in the 4 years I have been here only 2 days where I used 4x4 and probably didn't need it given my wife drove to work in a 2wd charger, lol.

So I ordered a 4x2 as a wise financial decision. Not a day goes buy I don't second guess myself. Called dealer and tried to change it, but it was too late, would have to start over again. There is a 4x4 XLT coming in before my Lariat, I thought about switching to that even though I would appreciate the Lariat every time I drove it and would likely never use the 4wd. Even went so far as to reason that I would much rather have a $4k down payment on a boat than an extra spinning tire, lol.

But I will take your advice, relax and stop second guessing myself, the 4x2 is a much smarter decision for those of us that don't live out in the woods or up north.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the same spot. Had 4x4s up north and appreciated them in the snow, but the only time I used 4x4 was in the snow. 99% of the time all of them were in 2wd. Live down south now and in the 4 years I have been here only 2 days where I used 4x4 and probably didn't need it given my wife drove to work in a 2wd charger, lol.

So I ordered a 4x2 as a wise financial decision. Not a day goes buy I don't second guess myself. Called dealer and tried to change it, but it was too late, would have to start over again. There is a 4x4 XLT coming in before my Lariat, I thought about switching to that even though I would appreciate the Lariat every time I drove it and would likely never use the 4wd. Even went so far as to reason that I would much rather have a $4k down payment on a boat than an extra spinning tire, lol.

But I will take your advice, relax and stop second guessing myself, the 4x2 is a much smarter decision for those of us that don't live out in the woods or up north.
The missus says we can reevaluate our 4x4 needs after all loan payments are made. She was pretty clear that I wasn’t allowed to even think about trading it in early LOL

Thankfully I’m getting a 5 year loan, just in time for the 6th gen Ranger.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
The missus says we can reevaluate our 4x4 needs after all loan payments are made. She was pretty clear that I wasn’t allowed to even think about trading it in early
I doubt I'll be able to a trade either, but I listened to my wife's instructions very carefully, and she never said I couldn't buy a boat!

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The missus says we can reevaluate our 4x4 needs after all loan payments are made. She was pretty clear that I wasn’t allowed to even think about trading it in early LOL

Thankfully I’m getting a 5 year loan, just in time for the 6th gen Ranger.
I can't wait to trade mine in for a Raptor trim.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Ranger & Jason, I originally ordered a 4x2 with e-locker. I pull a boat, the primary reason I am buying a truck, and have seen full sized trucks sit and spin on the local ramps trying to get their boats out of the water. I didn't want to be that guy, so after second guessing myself for a week, I caved and changed the order to a 4x4. If it had not been for the boat, I would be like you both in an easier on the pocket, beautiful, fully functional 4x2 and enjoying it just as much.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Ranger & Jason, I originally ordered a 4x2 with e-locker. I pull a boat, the primary reason I am buying a truck, and have seen full sized trucks sit and spin on the local ramps trying to get their boats out of the water. I didn't want to be that guy, so after second guessing myself for a week, I caved and changed the order to a 4x4. If it had not been for the boat, I would be like you both in an easier on the pocket, beautiful, fully functional 4x2 and enjoying it just as much.
Been boating a long time, seen plenty of spinning tires, and that is my fear. I wish I knew how many of them had lockers and good tires. I wouldn't go without a locker, and there is a clear advantage to one of the spinning tires being up on dryer ground, but I do believe a locker alone is a huge difference.

I am also hopeful my next boat will be in water, not trailer, so it's a personal use thing, I only hit the ramp with a JetSki. If I were expecting to boat ramp a heavy boat often, I would spend the extra cash without thinking twice. But do I need 4x4 for a 600lb ski on a paved ramp?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

I can't speak for the non-FX4 rangers, but my ride is amazingly soft, probably the best ride in all of my prior vehicles. My dad will have a non-FX4 Lariat here pretty soon, and I can post a ride comparison if they ever build his truck.

(prior vehicles include various Rangers of 2nd and 3rd gen, Focus ST, Edge Sport, Jeeps, and whatnot)

DBRanger

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 2007 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't get it . I won't be taking her out in the snow and SALT anyway. That's what the Caddy is for. My current 2WD Dakota has served me perfectly for 13 years so I will be good with the soon to arrive (I hope) 2WD Ranger. As for off-roading, even if I wanted to it wouldn't be in a brand new Ranger costing 40 grand or so. That's what old Jeeps are for.
Sponsored