First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
I wanted to try the Cooper AT3s on my truck but they were unavailable in my desired size (255/80 17) at the time so I went with the Toyo AT3s instead.

6 months later I needed tires for the YJ so I got the Coopers in a 32". I've been real happy with these on the pavement wet or dry. Haven't got 'em on the trails yet but the grip looks to be good. No snow on these yet for me, but the YJ is no snow monster anyways, so I'm sure they'll do fine.

Cooper is one of the last tire brands made in the USA if I'm not mistaken.
A lot of Toyos, especially the truck tires are made in Georgia.

Michelin has a huge plant in South Carolina.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RangerRandy

RangerRandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
Another update: Three out of four tires have checked in now. Only one " left front" is still blank on the screen and of course the yellow tire is still flashing. I'm assuming that sensor is the bad one and is what tripped the entire Tire sensor Fault message.
Weird how they all went blank when it tripped, and one by one they're coming back though. Another weird thing is they are all 3 showing 32 psi and don't change. Who knows the tpms system may need to be reset. I da know.
I'm gonna run by my favorite tire store tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Carry on.

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
These trucks are extremely fine tune from the factory to achieve the advertised estimated miles per gallon everything from the tire size to the dopey ass front rake.

Truck is very sensitive to changes even something as simple as a level or removing the plastic air dam on the lower front bumper will have detrimental effects on the gas mileage.

My average in town is 16 to 17 miles per gallon however my truck is somewhat on the end of the spectrum where my aerodynamics have been shot to s*** and I am a rolling brick with wheels. I will go as far as to say I get to claim the trophy as having more drag on my truck then a New York street corner.

Initially my fuel consumption was much worse hitting is low as 13 but a tuner running 93 octane and also locking out gears in town is what brought it back up.

OP
OP
RangerRandy

RangerRandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
Well, I'm a dope! LOL. I feel so stupid.
I went by yesterday and talked to my buddy at the tire store that I bought my aftermarket wheels/ tires from to ask him his professional opinion on what's going on with my TPMS fault problem since I swapped my OEM's back on the truck. I couldn't get it to reset.
He just laughed at me and said, Silly your OEM's don't have sensors in them. I put them in your new wheels to save you a few bucks. I didn't know that! LOL
Well this morning I swapped them back out. After a week of driving, it looks like I was getting around 4mph better 'on the cluster" with the OEM's in place in town driving. Actual MPG's? , who knows. Anyways, experiment over.
Carry on!
20220625_083430.jpg

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I bought this truck in January. Owned it all of "three" days when I had it levelled and added new wheels and larger Toyo Open Country MT's "275/65-18". My fuel mileage has been unimpressive since I've owned this truck , 16-18 mpg on average at best, maybe 19 on a longer highway trip. One of the reasons I traded from my old F150 to the Ranger was the hope of better fuel mileage. With the current gas prices I've decided to see just how bad the larger MT tires have affected things and see how I like my truck with normal tires. This morning I swapped back the OEM Black appearance package wheels until further notice.
Well, I just returned home from a little 60 mile road trip around town and "HOLY S--T" this truck runs sooo smooth and quiet! I never knew how nice this truck could actually drive since I added the MT's so early on in ownership. I've also grown to "greatly" dislike the noise coming from the MT's!!
I cleared the mileage settings in my cluster and instantly its averaging 24-25 mpg in town. "HUGE improvement"
I guess I'm officially an old man now because I'm thinking more of economy and comfort over style nowadays. Heck, comfort is my middle name these days and this truck is so smooth, quiet, comfortable, and a pleasure to drive now.
Beside, my Ranger makes any wheel/tire combination look good! LOL
20220618_093730.jpg
20220618_110914.jpg
20220618_110928.jpg
Any rubbing issues?

I have a 1.8 Bilstein and was thinking about this tire size.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm definitely going the old man unimpressive cruiser with mine if/when I get it.
I even like the look of the stock steel wheels.
Do you guys think lowering the ranger would improve mpg even more?

OP
OP
RangerRandy

RangerRandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
Any rubbing issues?

I have a 1.8 Bilstein and was thinking about this tire size.
It slightly rubs on occasion at full lock, backing up, turning right if it bounces just right. LOL And only on the drivers side. Other than that no rubbing.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I'm definitely going the old man unimpressive cruiser with mine if/when I get it.
I even like the look of the stock steel wheels.
Do you guys think lowering the ranger would improve mpg even more?
Probably highway mpg would be better, city would probably be unchanged.
Thing is, the Belltech lowering kit costs about $800 plus the labor and welding to install it (the rear axle gets moved on top of the springs with new brackets), so you have to weigh how long until an extra 1-2 mpg saves you $1500.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Probably highway mpg would be better, city would probably be unchanged.
Thing is, the Belltech lowering kit costs about $800 plus the labor and welding to install it (the rear axle gets moved on top of the springs with new brackets), so you have to weigh how long until an extra 1-2 mpg saves you $1500.
Sounds like a plan. :)
At my driving habits for the last 12 years, I'll have the $1500 cost of lowering paid in 20 years. :D

Screenshot_20220815-182353.png

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
My condolences on your wife.

I am not a mod person. Unless spacers make my ranger do something better, i am ok. Do like better tires, just for a little extra push in sand, and the deer lease. Could use a rear sway bar. Or maybe those leaf spring spring do hickies mr truck talks about.

But i know lots of people prefer asthetics over function. To each his own. Glad the stock tires are working out for you.

Though i did do a tailgate strut assist mod. Lol

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
I bought this truck in January. Owned it all of "three" days when I had it levelled and added new wheels and larger Toyo Open Country MT's "275/65-18". My fuel mileage has been unimpressive since I've owned this truck , 16-18 mpg on average at best, maybe 19 on a longer highway trip. One of the reasons I traded from my old F150 to the Ranger was the hope of better fuel mileage. With the current gas prices I've decided to see just how bad the larger MT tires have affected things and see how I like my truck with normal tires. This morning I swapped back the OEM Black appearance package wheels until further notice.
Well, I just returned home from a little 60 mile road trip around town and "HOLY S--T" this truck runs sooo smooth and quiet! I never knew how nice this truck could actually drive since I added the MT's so early on in ownership. I've also grown to "greatly" dislike the noise coming from the MT's!!
I cleared the mileage settings in my cluster and instantly its averaging 24-25 mpg in town. "HUGE improvement"
I guess I'm officially an old man now because I'm thinking more of economy and comfort over style nowadays. Heck, comfort is my middle name these days and this truck is so smooth, quiet, comfortable, and a pleasure to drive now.
Beside, my Ranger makes any wheel/tire combination look good! LOL
20220618_093730.jpg
20220618_110914.jpg
20220618_110928.jpg
IVE GOT THE SAME TIRES AND AM AVERAGING 26MPG ALSO. GREAT TIRES. FANTASTIC TRACTION IN SNOW ICE MUD DRY YOU NAME IT

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
My condolences on your wife.

I am not a mod person. Unless spacers make my ranger do something better, i am ok. Do like better tires, just for a little extra push in sand, and the deer lease. Could use a rear sway bar. Or maybe those leaf spring spring do hickies mr truck talks about.

But i know lots of people prefer asthetics over function. To each his own. Glad the stock tires are working out for you.

Though i did do a tailgate strut assist mod. Lol
ME TOO ALL OF THE ABOVE
Sponsored