I'm getting my transmission rebuilt or replaced

Ames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Crew Cab 4x4 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Well, I still bought the truck didnt I?! ?

The trans in mine frequently acts up. When cresting the hill of my driveway and as I'm slowing down, it harshly downshifts to the point where I'm sure its hurting the motor mounts. In the end, I just see needless complexity. 10 speeds, a turbo, and a company trying to meet cafe and epa standards. I might have considered a Colorado but man they're boring and the seats are like concrete. Here at 6300 miles, all is well. I just hope it stays that way.
FWIW, I drove a Colorado for about a year for work and I didn't like it. Not only were the seats hard, the floor is so high that I felt like I was sitting on the floor with my feet straight out in front of me.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

The trans in mine frequently acts up. When cresting the hill of my driveway and as I'm slowing down, it harshly downshifts to the point where I'm sure its hurting the motor mounts. In the end, I just see needless complexity. 10 speeds, a turbo, and a company trying to meet cafe and epa standards. I might have considered a Colorado but man they're boring and the seats are like concrete. Here at 6300 miles, all is well. I just hope it stays that way.
The transmission will frequently downshift roughly if driven too hard when cold.

Let it warm up before blasting out of your driveway.

Also a hard shift is better for a transmission than a smooth one. It's the slip that wears them out.

As somebody else said, calm down.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
That was probably harsh lol. I apologize.

But seriously... people...

Come back to reality.

What is it about owning a Ranger that makes so many people so overly paranoid?

If your want to be that paranoid you might as well go on a good ol fashioned coke bender for a week or so.
Or drive around in a truck with Takata airbags and wait for the unexpected poof!

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist

Most of my driving is done in S mode now. It makes a huge difference in both slow and fast driving situations.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Didnt someone elses trans go out recently right around 100k?

if thats the case, the frontier is looking nice lol.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Oh ya msfit something ranger…. His transmission went out recently too around 100k. Thats not a good sign lol.

Reactions: TJC

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Or drive around in a truck with Takata airbags and wait for the unexpected poof!
I just rec'd my 3rd you have a defective airbag notice on my 2005 ranger! They simply can't seem to get it right! So 4 airbags have been in my ranger once I take it in for this round! BTW, This is the ONLY time I have set foot in the dealership since buying it new with 15 miles on the clock. It is a tad over 160K right now..

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Didnt someone elses trans go out recently right around 100k?

if thats the case, the frontier is looking nice lol.
Oh ya msfit something ranger…. His transmission went out recently too around 100k. Thats not a good sign lol.

Again.... people.....

There are WELL OVER 5 million of these transmissions in service. Most of them in vehicles that have a higher curb weight, higher payload, and higher towing capacity.

If they were shit.... it would of been known LONG before TWO people here had troubles with theirs ?‍♀

Unless you guys took my advice about that week long coke bender...

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
So many different issues on this forum that all end up getting lumped together as proof the transmission is failing. Then we hear about one actual transmission failure and the narrative becomes that these are doomed to fail in all our trucks.

- truck running too high of a gear and “lugging”
- shimmy in driveline due to two piece drive shaft
- bucking/surging due to a cheap faulty sensor
- thunk at stop / start due to needing to lube slip joint
- various vibration threads likely due to tire imbalances
- more that I am forgetting?!

People read these threads and decide they are all due to a failing transmission when in reality they are all different issues. Chill folks!

That said, I am gonna install the bigger pan just in case. Lol

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So many different issues get lumped together on this forum that all end up getting lumped together. Then we hear about one transmission failure and the narrative becomes that these are doomed to fail.

- truck running too high of a gear and “lugging”
- shimmy in driveline due to two piece drive shaft
- bucking/surging due to a cheap faulty sensor
- thunk at stop / start due to needing to lube slip joint
- various vibration threads likely due to tire imbalances
- more that I am forgetting?!

People read these threads and decide they are all due to a failing transmission when in reality they are all different issues. Chill folks!

That said, I am gonna install the bigger pan just in case. Lol
What about the fuel in the oil thread. How many are now obsessed with this and how many ran out to smell theirs? I'm not saying "some" have a right to be concerned but you'd think our gas tanks are leaking into the engine bay by some of the posts. :crazy:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
What is it about owning a Ranger that makes so many people so overly paranoid?
I hear there's a certain forum on those interwebs that make people question all things Ranger. They also do everything in their power to separate Ranger owners from their hard-earned money!

Be careful out there! :computerrage:

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
What about the fuel in the oil thread. How many are now obsessed with this and how many ran out to smell theirs? I'm not saying "some" have a right to be concerned but you'd think our gas tanks are leaking into the engine bay by some of the posts. :crazy:
I was just thinking of the threads that get lumped together into “my transmission is doomed”. I purposely excluded the fuel in oil and battery threads as I have yet to see them blamed on the transmission (yet).

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was just thinking of the threads that get lumped together into “my transmission is doomed”. I purposely excluded the fuel in oil and battery threads as I have yet to see them blamed on the transmission (yet).
I'm not awake yet.....The lumped together part went over my head. ?
Sponsored